Tikka vs CZ

MissesAlot

ok so i lied i didn't order the Tikka..yet. wanted to get your thoughts on the t3 light vs the cz 527. i'm assuming this is another ford vs chevy thing, just interested to hear what people like about one over the other. the cz site says it comes with a single set trigger, thats the target type right? that a problem for hunting?
thanks for helping the rifle rookie.
aaron

The set trigger only works if you activate it (push trigger forward). I've never owned a Tikka, but have three CZ 527's if that tells you anything. I have two American's, one in .17 MachIV and one in TAC .20, and a Varmint in .17 Remington. IMHO, they're the best value on the market!

CZ is my bet. This is with Hornady 40gr first 5 shots out of a cold barrel today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
100_4865.jpg

It's no secret I like the Tikka much better. Smooth bolt, quiet safety, quiet magazine(clip) very tough, Very nice trigger user adjustable easily in minutes, very accurate Sako barrel
Very popular having made a good reputation in a short time with a big company behind it.
The CZ has a pretty nice trigger and shoots pretty good after you get past everything else. Backwards safety, rough bolt, magazine sticking out and often needing attention. The bolt throw cause problems with the scope mounted which needs to be high. Some guys talk of grinding the bolt for more clearance and sending the magazine off for modification.
The Tikka is Clean and Shoot.

I have both Tikka and CZ. Both are very fine rifles and shoot very well. Set trigger is really good on the CZ. I would suggest handling both of them and see which one you like the best.

Quote:
It's no secret I like the Tikka much better. Smooth bolt, quiet safety, quiet magazine(clip) very tough, Very nice trigger user adjustable easily in minutes, very accurate Sako barrel
Very popular having made a good reputation in a short time with a big company behind it.
The CZ has a pretty nice trigger and shoots pretty good after you get past everything else. Backwards safety, rough bolt, magazine sticking out and often needing attention. The bolt throw cause problems with the scope mounted which needs to be high. Some guys talk of grinding the bolt for more clearance and sending the magazine off for modification.
The Tikka is Clean and Shoot.

Right on!

CZ are made in the Czech Republic. They are fine guns of the traditional wood, blued metal variety. I have one in 243, shoots well, appreciate the set trigger. It is now for sale as Tikka #3 in 243 has just replaced it. I maybe weird but the Tikka, synthetic and all is just a better hunting rifle in my opinion. The bolt, the trigger and the accuracy are just superb. I also like their synthetic stocks, robust, bullet proof and light to carry.

Being that I have owned both a CZ 527 in .223 and a Tikka T3 in 22-250 I feel that I can make and honest comparison between these two rifles.

The Tikka has an very smooth action and a trigger that can be lowered to 2 pounds in about 5 minutes. The Tikka's trigger breaks like glass with no creep at all. The Tikka shoots very well and mine would do sub MOA at 100 yards with the right ammo. There is a little more plastic on the Tikka than I like on a firearm. There is some plastic on the action and the magazine is plastic as well. Over all the Tikka is a very nice rifle and I would not hesitate to buy another one IF, the CZ 527 were not available.

The CZ 527 is a wonderful rifle. The action was a bit rough when I first took it out of the box but it slicked up very nicely after I worked it a few hundred times. The CZ's trigger feels like a gift from god to me. The CZ's trigger is fully adjustable and you can adjust it down to point it only takes a bat of the eye lashes to fire it. The CZ's set trigger is by far my favorite!! I love the classic lines of the CZ, the nice walnut and the deep bluing. I think CZ rifles are just beautiful. My CZ would also shoot sub MOA with the right ammo. The backwards safety has never been an issue for me. I own several CZ's and many other rifles too and I do not have a problem going from one to the other.

If I were going out to buy a new bolt action then there would be only two rifles I would consider and that would be the Tikka and the CZ but I would only buy the Tikka if I could not get the CZ.

Buy the CZ because you will not regret it!!!

CZ has a large facility in Kansas for all of your warranty needs.

I believe the Tikka's have to be sent back over seas for repair. I may be wrong about the Tikka's, I will have to read the manual and see what it says.

Tikka customer service is handled by Beretta.....they are awful. I have a Tikka in 308 which I had to send back, took hem 6 months to get it back to me!! The rifle is now fine but... That is the worst part of buying a Tikka, that and the high price of parts, stocks, magazines etc.

Like Harley I own both, I prefer Tikka but if you need customer service, better have a back up gun.

My CZ550 arrived without scope rings, 1 phone call and 3 days later CZ had them in my hands.

Still prefer the Tikka though.

Best advice is to handle them both, and take some time really
studying, working, and mounting the Tikkas, and CZs.
Every time I am in the market for a rifle that is offered by
both manufacturers, I do this exercise. For me, it is
Tikka 2 CZ 0. I am a more function over form guy, being an
engineer, and functioning a bolt action that sounds like
grinding metal(CZ), even with the promise of smoother action
after wear, doesn't pass my inspection process. I do like
the CZ set trigger, but I have my Tikka triggers adjusted, and
polished, down to "scary", so I don't have to think too
much about setting a trigger to get to a "scary" release.
So the best advice is to see which one speaks to you.
Both have reputations for being accurate, so it is really
the form, and function, that YOU prefer.

Squeeze

I handled both the other day. I am considering the same thing you are. I have never owned/fired either. The action was much smoother on the Tikka. Overall, the looks, lines and beautiful wood on the CZ won me over. I just have to decide what caliber now. I think that either one will be a fine rifle.

It is what feels good to you not the rest of us. I have had both and sold the cz almost as soon as i bought it. Yes beretta did have some problems getting things handled initially. Things are going smooth now. They dont have to go over seas for repairs. I believe they go to maryland for repairs and warranty. I love my tikkas. The looks of the tikka may not be the same as the cz but the rest is better. And it will shoot better out of the box.

Hunting4fun,

We were just the opposite. I sold my Tikka right after buying it (6 months) because I liked the CZ's better. All of my CZ's would out shoot the Tikka but it was very close.

Be careful if you buy an older Tikka because they did have a few barrels split/explode from a batch of poor quality metal they had at one time.

Beretta has two service locations one in MD and CA. http://berettausa.com/customer/request_service.cfm I returned a Sako with a magazine problem and had it back in 2 1/2 weeks, they also paid shipping both ways. Another member here returned a Tikka getting it back in a reasonable time but it turned out to be his mistake.
I highly doubt you will find a bad barrel from that batch of stainless steel. Beretta did a pretty good job of advertising and scouring for those few guns by serial number. I had one in that range, with one phone call checking the serial number was easy. This is one reason Beretta is such an old company.
A far contrast from other gun companies handling of problems.

In my opinion with todays technology a gun should be ready to go. Clean and shoot. The Notion of selling you a gun that needs work upon purchase just doesn't seem right. Like buying food in a restaurant that needs to be cooked. Now if you want to modify a gun that is different/personal. This seems to be part of how USA gun companies paved a road to broke by producing guns that needed a gunsmith trigger job along with free floating or glass bedding.
I also think if CZ's cost $200 more that other buyers would be pointing to the same flaws that I am. Nothing personal but I believe a little pressure would cause them to rectify problems making it a better rifle.

Lets see here.

Rugers need new trigger right out of the box

Remingtons usually need a lot of adjustment of the triggers among other things.

The last Savage I bought looked like it had been machined by a 1st grader and the accu-trigger left a lot to be desired. Not to mention the action felt like it had sand in it.

CZ's usually require you to work the bolt a few times for the action to slick up.

My Tikka came in with it's floated barrel push on the stock a little and had to be sanded down with a dowel rod.

My Marlin came in and needed a new trigger right out of the box.

Yep, they all should be perfect out of the box but they never are in this price range.

You nailed it on the head. No matter what factory it comes from it is still a mass produced factory gun. Accuracy is a guessing game, maybe, maybe not. I have been witness to some factory atrocities in my day. If you want quality then have it made by a reputable stick builder and you'll be set for yrs to come. You get the stock you want, the barrel you want , the trigger you want and the bolt you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Quote:
Lets see here.

Rugers need new trigger right out of the box

Remingtons usually need a lot of adjustment of the triggers among other things.

The last Savage I bought looked like it had been machined by a 1st grader and the accu-trigger left a lot to be desired. Not to mention the action felt like it had sand in it.

CZ's usually require you to work the bolt a few times for the action to slick up.

My Tikka came in with it's floated barrel push on the stock a little and had to be sanded down with a dowel rod.

My Marlin came in and needed a new trigger right out of the box.

Yep, they all should be perfect out of the box but they never are in this price range.

I have three cz's and can honestly say that I am very pleased all three of them. I havent really noticed the bolt being rough, mine seem to work just fine. Accuracy on all three is fantastic. I have a 453 in 22lr, a 527 in 223 and a 550 in 22-250 and they all shoot little bitty groups. Don't get me wrong, the tikka is a fine rifle and I'll probably own one of them before to much longer, but the cz's are an awsome rifle. I'm sure this has'nt helped you much but is just my opinion.

Pysco-dog

Back