AZ Morning Hunt, 3 coyotes, 2 foxes (pics)

azcoyotehunter

Took a friend from work out hunting with me this morning, this wasn't his first predator hunt with me.

Started really early cause we both had to be home by lunch. Called the first two stands and nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3rd Stand: called a nice big boy @ 2:14seconds right up to the call, my buddy took a shot at 40yrds and MISSED. Then I did as well as he ran off.

4th Stand:I spotted one coming in behind us (6min mark), I waited for him to wind us but he walked a big circle around us and I shot him at 80yrds. Biggest dog I've gotten to date (wish I took a scale with me). He's the dog on the far left in the picture.

5th Stand: I called for 9 minutes, at the end of the call I used "pup in distress" and 10 seconds later I hear Blam! I see a coyote racing off, I take a shot and hit him at 180yrds running full speed. My buddy had missed again (we quickly checked the zero on his rifle, it was the operator no the equipment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) He said at the 4min mark the coyote came in and sat behind a bush and layed down staring towards the call. My friend wanted to wait for a clear shot and not have to shoot through the bush so he waited... 5min! Then when the pup distress call came on, the dog popped up and started walking really slow towards the call, very hesitant. My friend took his shot... hey we all miss from time to time (I had a whole weekend of it!)

6th & 7th Stands nothing.

8th Stand: At the 4min mark I spot a coyote on the side of a hill staring in our direction, he's at 200yrds I'm watching him through my scope and I can tell he doesn't like something. I let a round fly and hit him, as I'm working the bolt I see him get back up and starting running away, I let off two more rounds and hit him on the second shot. Apparently the first shot was a 'gut shot' the second hit was in the hip.

My buddy and I take some pictures and head our separate ways (I kept one dog with no exit wound, need something to practice my taxidermy on).

So I'm headed home and I figure... there's a spot on the way home that I'm going to hunt two weeks from today, just stop by and take a look at the area again.

One thing leads to another and I decide to call a stand, with my shotgun (less damage on pelts).

First and only stand I call in a fox

Good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Those greys are sure good looking. I really want to get one of those.

Shooting a running coyote at 180 yards? You're the man.

I love the terrain in the bottom picture. I'd shotgun hunt that all day long if I had it around here.

Back