.243 or .270 for coyotes and maybe deer?

I've used a .243 on deer and it worked out fine if you make decent shots, would work with yotes too especially if you reload. Fine cartridge in my book!

Both the .243 and the .270 are very fine rounds to use. I have used a .243 for deer and it did the job. I have actually been looking at a .270 for the Girlfriend as of late as it carries enough punch for Elk as well. The 25-06 has been mentioned on here as well and that is a fantastic round. Another like round to look at would be the 7mm-08. The final choice is yours and comes down to your preference. If you can, try shooting a few of the mentioned rounds before you purchase a new firearm.
Good luck and Good hunting.

I love my Remington 700 in .243

I've got 55 grain loads for coyotes and other small creatures, 75 grain loads for long distance varmints and the 100 grain loads put a deer down well. I've never had to track a deer shot with my .243. They all go down within sight and less than 50 yards.

...but that's just me. I honestly can't see how you aren't interested in saving furs up there, they've gotta be great quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm a big .243 fan. I have several Remington 700s in .243 with 22" to 24" barrels. You have a huge range of bullet weights and types to choose from, including super accurate Sierras, Barnes TSX and Varmint Grenate for hunting to heavy 100gr Remington Core-Lokt's for deer and other big game. You can even make light loads using BlueDot for hours of practice shooting for your kids. Extremely versitile caliber.

I vote for the 243 for coyotes and with the right load, it will take care of any deer. It is flatter shooting with less recoil than a 270, and is bad medicine on coyotes. I load the 70 grain Sierra Blitz King and it will flat out do the dirty deed on the coyotes. The 270 is a fine all around gun, but it kills coyotes a lot deader than they need to be.

Back