what is the rate of twist on a ruger m77 mkII 22-250?

hunting4fun

I have been trying to find something on this. Mine was made in 2004 and i just purchased it brand new. It shoots the white box winchester 45 gr hp ok but im going to load for this one. I was wondering what most of you guys shoot out of your 22-250 or if anyone has the same gun what are you pet loads? Just looking for a place to start. I have a bunch of 60 grain vmax that my tikka t3 .223 but was told that they are to heavy to shoot out of my ruger because the rate of twist is to slow. Can anyone please help?

The twist is 1-14". The only 60 gr I have tried is the NP. IT was not accurate, but that is not uncommon with the 60gr NP and slow twists.

I have yet to try a 55 gr that didn't shoot in my Ruger.

I am going to load a few of the 60 grain vmax and see what happens. It shot the 45 grain ok but would like a little bit heavier bullet weight.

Every 40 and 52 grain load I've put through Ruger 77 has shot great. The 40's are out of this world, and absolunte coyote stompers. Speer and Hornady 52 grn match hollows were both great but Hornady edged Speer out a bit.

Hornady 50 grn SXSP's are great too.

To be honest I never had any load that shot over an inch.

If you want specifics pm me, but any reloading I did was straight out of the manuals. I used max on everything except the Hornady SXSP load.

The very best loads were
Hornady 52 grn match hollows
Sierra 40 grn blitzking
Barnes VLC 40 grn.
All pushed to max.

Not sure why you want a heavier bullet, typically guys go lighter to get the speed up but the heaviest I went was with 52 grainers. Will a 1:14 stabilize a 60?

I guess i am going to find out about the 1:14 stabalizing a 60 grain vmax. For most of the shots that i will get i dont need 4000 fps. I prefer a little heavier bullet vs speed.

I have had great luck with the sierra 52grbtmatch. with 38 gr of H380 it shoots 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups all day at 100yds. Not a fast load but sure does shoot good.

Quote:
I have had great luck with the sierra 52grbtmatch.

Ditto on that in my Ruger MKII .22-250.

Am I the only guy who uses 4350 in the .22-250? I never see it in loads, but it's rated as an "accuracy" load in my manual and I've been using it in .22-250's since the mid-80's. What am I missing here?

Quote:
Quote:
I have had great luck with the sierra 52grbtmatch.

Ditto on that in my Ruger MKII .22-250.

Am I the only guy who uses 4350 in the .22-250? I never see it in loads, but it's rated as an "accuracy" load in my manual and I've been using it in .22-250's since the mid-80's. What am I missing here?

You're not missing a thing!

My Dad's been using 4350 in his 22-250 since the mid 1960's! It works, I've marched out to pick up quite a few 400+ yard groundhogs back when I was a little kid that were put to sleep by Dad's old Remington 788 with IMR4350 and Sierra 55gr spitzers.

I prefer Varget in mine, but that's just the powder I started with in it, and I had good success from the beginning, and just stuck with it.

Back