modify fmj bullets into hollowpoints???

lungpopper

Has any one tried drilling out fmj bullets into hollowpoints???I have a bunch of .224 cal and dont like shooting fmjs..If you have tried it and it worked please pass on your secrets..

If you look at the back of your FMJ bullets I think your going to see lead. By drilling holes or removing jacket material on the nose you run the risk of pushing the lead core out the nose and leaving the jacket in the barrel. NOT A GOOD DEAL!

You don't need to drill the point of the FMJ to respond like a hollow point. File the point off square to the point that you meet the lead core. I am talking about 1/16" That's it. And you will not push the lead any where. It will come apart just like a hollow point on contact and be just as acurate. Try it, won't cost you any thing but a little time. They have got to be square, I made a jig to do mine, but that was years ago.
Jerry

Last edited:
1 Shot has a good point, saftey should be #1

Plus
Why would you want to spend the time?

Load up some blasting ammo with them, and smoke'em off. Then go buy some good bullets.

Quote:
Why would you want to spend the time?

Load up some blasting ammo with them, and smoke'em off. Then go buy some good bullets.

I agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I've been there.

depending on what kind of case trimmer you have, you can get a "hollow pointing kit"

You put the loaded case in the case trimmer. Where the pilot normally goes, you place the "kit" which is only a SMALL center drill...

If you have a case trimmer, but can't find a hollow point kit, just mic the shank of your pilot, and get you a machinist's center drill (nothing lik a normal twist drill, don't go there) that snugly fits the hole in the shaft.

i know it has been done, and can be done. I'm not saying it is safe or advisable, but wanted to answer your question, and not tell you waht to do, what not to do, or waht is worth what.

I like it when people answer my direct questions directly.

Experimenting is the interstate to wisdom, depth of knowledge, and perhaps missing fingers, eyes or death if done recklessly.

As a fact the only way you will push the lead core out of the jacket is if:
1. you drill a rediculouly huge hole in the nose of the jacket and or
2: if your shooting a screaming hot load, or really long barrel, or both- which causes enough bullet heat to liquify the core. you'd know if your liquifying the core with your laods prior to hollow pointing beacuse that is what causes bullets to desinigrate* in mid air.

Last edited:
Quote:
.......As a fact the only way you will push the lead core out of the jacket is if:
1. you drill a rediculouly huge hole in the nose of the jacket and or
2: if your shooting a screaming hot load, or really long barrel, or both- which causes enough bullet heat to liquify the core. you'd know if your liquifying the core with your laods prior to hollow pointing beacuse that is what causes bullets to desinigrate* in mid air.

Hmmmmmm....interesting theories, but not necessarily reality...

Hollow pointing a FMJ bullet with lead exposed at the rear of the bullet is like playing Russian Roulette.... Why do it...? Buy the proper bullets for the task at hand - and bullets that are accurate to begin with...

Good luck....

-BCB

personally, I'd sell off the FMJ's as they are in demand now and buy what you want, or trade em for something you do want.

Messin with FMJ's to modify them could be dangerous to your health. I prefer to keep my rifle and fingers all in one piece.

Forister used to make a "hollow point kit" But I have never used one I would just use the FMJ's for target practice loading them like a same wt hunting bullet the ballistics and flight path should be very close out to a few hundred yards any way.

I've filed off the points of FMJs for beaver busting. They work fine. It would be to much trouble to modify a lot of them and maintain accuracy.
DEFCON

Back