break in procedure for 22-250

hunting4fun

I just picked up a brand new ruger mkII 22-250 with the wood grain stock and stainless barrel.(not the bull barrel)And i was wondering what the proper break in procedure is for this gun? Also curious as to what some of you guys are shooting out of your rugers?

I have worked on 2 new Ruger MK II's with stainless and a new Hawkeye with a stainless. These barrels are extremely smooth to begin with, Ruger has come a very long way in barrel quality.

I think that you should just go and shoot the gun like normal, and I have broken in a lot of Benchrest and custom varmint rifles.

Hi,
I think there has been nearly as much said about if a barrell should be shot in and if so how, as there has been in more recent years about the Bible.

From one person who believes in barrell break-in:

Shoot once and clean: repeat five times.
Shoot three times and clean: repeat five times.
Shoot five times and clean: repeat five times.

A major consideration is getting it CLEAN. One tip: test to see if it is clean by soaking a patch, running it through the bore, let the solution do its job and then see if it picks up residue.

Do some reading on the subject of cleaning and barrell break-in.

Have fun

Quote:
Find targets, shoot. Clean once in a while...

My sentiments exactly. In fact I find it interesting that Shilen.....in their FAQs section of their website says something like 'the only reason why we have a breakin procedure is that our customers wanted one'.

The few custom barrels that I have came from Pac-Nor.
They tell me to do some shoot-n-clean so I do.
Don't know if it helps or not, but I have an idea that it does.
Do a search and you can read volumes on the subject.
Then, form your own opinion like the rest of us experts have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Barrel break in is a myth. It was created by anal shooters.

There is some evidence that it was started by barrel makers as a way to sell more barrels.

Jack

Hi guys,
I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to me that standard barrells need shooting in and good quality, custom barrells (ie. Pac-Nor) need less running in because they have a better finish inside. Hence, some quality barrell makers don't recommend a breakin for thier barrells. Tubbs offers lapping bullets and Savage has a guide on thier site on how to break in thier barrells. These guys know what they are talking about.

Talk of barrell makers making up the story that barrells need to be brocken in so as to sell more barrells is along side other great myths like Santa Clause. Keep believing if it makes you happy.

The short of it is if you have a standard off teh shelf rifle you probablywouldbe wise to shoot "n" clean it in. If you have a Lilja or Pac-Nor barrell do what they say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't need shoot "n" clean.

Thanks and have fun

Quote:
Quote:
Barrel break in is a myth. It was created by anal shooters.

There is some evidence that it was started by barrel makers as a way to sell more barrels.

Jack

Hmmmm.. I think you're on to something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Martyn

I go by the shoot and clean method. By how rough the patches go through some barrels with a lot of crap the first few shots. It seems to improve fairly quickly but sometimes needs more before the groups tighten up.
I see absolutely no harm in it. This is a way to sight in while getting familiar.

Quote:
I go by the shoot and clean method. By how rough the patches go through some barrels with a lot of crap the first few shots. It seems to improve fairly quickly but sometimes needs more before the groups tighten up.
I see absolutely no harm in it. This is a way to sight in while getting familiar.

+1 The "seasoning" Pac-Nor recomends takes40runds and a couple of hours. That's not that big of a deal in my book.

Unless you'r shooting some crazy-fast wildcat that only gets 600 or so rounds out of a barrel,40 rounds is pretty incidental IMO.

It's all speculation any way since no two barrels are the exact same, and it's impossible to do any comparison on one barrel.

VarmintAl has some interesting theories on his web-site reguarding break-in. He advocates the use of JB Paste to do the same work as the bullete for smoothing out tool marks and imperfections.
I have a new 22/250 SPS that I used his prescribed method on, but haven't shot yet. I'll still shoot-n-clean a little bit and see if it starts to clean up a little faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Still nothing to compare it to, so who knows????

One thing that is 100% undeniable though, is that no amount of scrubbing with magic elixors or any other Voo-Doo will make a bad barrel into a good one.
Like I said before, "read all of the variuos theories and make your own decision".

Last edited:

I have a new 22/250 SPS that I used his prescribed method on, but haven't shot yet.

Just had one of these out for a test drive a few weeks back. This gun was impressively accurate. I wish I had bought one when Gander had them on sale.

Last edited:
I didn't worry too much about break inn on my ruger but I did give it a thorough scrubbing whenever I fired more than say... 5-10 rounds through it. It did tighten a bit over time but I don't necessarily attribute that to break inn. Now after the season I give it a total scrubbing and just run a snake through occasionally until I do scrub it out.

Back