Accurate Semi Auto .223 Non AR

RustyD

Looking for a semi auto for coyotes that isn't and AR. The mini 14 don't shoot accurate enough although I like the New TARGET and am looking at that.

Its received good write ups. But I was wondering if there is something else out there I am missing. A Voltz. would be nice but I ain't spending $2K.

Have you checked out the Remington Law Enforcement model yet?

Oop's Sorry, it's a pump action....My bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
I own the Ruger mini 14 target model and it shoots just fine.Iv got mine down to 1" groups and iv only had it out one time.Still messing with diffrent bullets, grains, powder, ect. Its nothing like the old mini not even close.

Theres not much out there in the way of self loaders in 223 that are'nt military based rifles that are accurate.

The only thing that comes to mind is Volquartsen's fancy centerfire autoloader in 204,223. They look interesting and are all Stainless. I'm sure there built to a very high quality standard. They use AR15 magazines. It also carries a high price.

A semi auto .223 or better a .22-250 has been on my wishlist for some time. Of course I have accuracy standards too. The mini 14's really are fun just don't shoot the best. Everytime a new prospect comes out it is heavy like the Volquartsen at or over 10 pounds.
A couple times Armalite has had small runs of .22-250 in the AR platform but heavy.
It seems odd that gun makers will make semi auto in .243 and rimfire and shotguns in 10, 12, 20, .410 but avoid the predator caliber gap.
At least the AR platform is slowly changing/improving with several piston actuated versions out.
I wonder how heavy and expensive the new Mini is. I have heard so-so and acceptable accuracy reports so I'm still unsure.

Kel-tec also has a .223 that would make a nice "truck Gun". Don;t have any idea how accurate it is really.

Is there something you don't like about the AR's? The target Mini14 looks pretty good. I about bought one at the lat gun show. In hindsight, I don't need it. But when has that ever been the stopping point in this sport. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cj...I can one up you...I bought a Mini Target one day last week and sold it the next without even firing a shot! Lost about $50.00 on the deal.

I have an AR, but am not a fan of that platform for calling. I am still in "search of" the perfect calling rifle. After I sold the Mini Target, I purchased a Browing BAr Brush Camo Semi Auto in .243 but so far haven't been able to find a lighter load it likes and am not crazy about shooting that large of cal. I really wish someone would come out with a decent weight semi-auto .223 or 22-250 like a Browing BAR or similar. There has to be a HUGE market for this type of rifle.

Tripod...I echo your sentiments exactly.

yes. there does seem to be a gap in the market for a conventional looking affordable $500.00-$600.00 self loading varmint rifle.

I would think someting like Armalites 180 piston operated upper could be engineered set in a conventional styled non pistol grip stock fairly easy. Something like the old Phil Hart original wood stocked 180 sporters from many many years ago.

Theres a few fellas at my local club that shoot very good groups with scoped 180's and handloads. I did'nt think they were that accurate till I'd seen there targets one time.

I called Browning twice this year to talk to their marketing and development folks and begged them to make a B.A.R in .223. I discussed with them that they would have quite a market for it, as there's lots of us that like the .223 round but don't particularly care for the "black rifle" look (even if it's painted in camouflage).

With the well-known accuracy of the BAR, I think it would be a hit.

Back