Dog whistle?

KY-23

I'm just curious..has anyone tried blowing a dog whistle in the field? I have a friend that is actually a anti-gun/anti-hunter at work that asked how coyote respond to a dog whistle. It made me start thinking. It drives my dogs crazy and makes them bark and howl.

Has anyone tried this?

Well...just for sh*ts and giggles I went to a local pet store and bought a dog whistle. It says on the package that it can be heard up to 400 yards away.

When I got home I blew the whistle indoors and my dogs started barking and howling. I went out in my backyard and blew the whistle and dogs from all around my house started barking and making noise.

I'm just wondering if this would work as a locator call.

Great question. I thought it might get a better responce in the Predator section. Here is what I got so far:

CWJ
Predator Master
Member # 5485

posted 03-10-2003 05:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm assuming you're talking about the Silent Dog Whistle.I think what's happening is the Dog Whistle is so High Pitched (Frequency) that it's hurting their ears. A dog can hear from about 45 Hz to 60,000Hz (60 KHz) according to the scale I have here.Humans can only hear from 20Hz to 20,000 KHz (20 KHz).The dog whistle is out of our range of hearing.Frequency is one property of sound the other is Volume or Amplitude (Loudness).Blowing harder or softer does not change the frequency only the loudness (amplitude).The dog whistle is probably at the extreme range of the Frequency they can hear and bothers them, same as something very high pitched (frequency) would bother us.

"It is probably why coyotes howl to a siren. The frequecy is within a range that the coyotes can hear and relate to.Same with a lip squeak or hand squeak, it probably has the right Frequuency or more related to a mouse than say a hand call or electronic caller.I've read many times here where a coyote wil hang up but will come in with a lip squeak or stop after having come in and start to trot off.I think the Frequency of the sound is more important than the Loudness. Rabbits dying make a certain Frequency in their cry that other animals can distinquish,the closer it is to the natural the better.Frequency is measured in Cycles Per Second.If you strum on a Banjo in C lightly or hard it's still a C, (same frequency). I'm no sound engineer , I've only been studying sound since I came here, there's a lot more to learn for me, so I stand to be corrected if there are any misstatements here. Probably more than what you wanted but thought it would help."

I am going to pick one up and try it.

Darrin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have seen this question posted 4 times over the months. Noone has ever posted a reply or given info on a field test or their experience with trying it.
I'm sure we would all be interested in the results if someone were to try it in the field in an area that was known to have coyotes.
Anybody have a dog whistle?

Well...I'm taking one out on my next hunt and I'll let you know. I've been driving my dogs and the dogs around my house crazy with it.

It might actually work as a locator call. My dogs come running when I blow it...

Back