how to hook a battery up to a spotlight

The higher the amp hours the more run time you will get out of the battery,8ah or higher is good.Voltage depends on the bulb your using.

If it's to be lit up all of the two hours I'd think you'd need much more than 8amp battery? With a 50W 12V bulb I'd say 14amp 12v battery at the very least. I like bigger batteries though...

As for how to connect it. Depends. You may want to use existing cigar lighter type connecters that may be on your lamp already?

Personally I'd cut them off. Get a connector like duraplug two pin cable connectors (like what they use on electric lawnmowers/strimmers). All you need do if mark the positive and negative wires and keep track of them when you're wiring up the cable again.

You could use bolt on or spade type connectors from the battery terminals, little bit of cable to your other duraplug, then just plug in and happy hunting.

I get my batteries at a place that sells mototbike, quads, gardening equiptment, outboard engines etc. They aren't car batteries no, not sure if they put them in motorbikes eithe rbut thye stock them here. I have known guys who have carried car batteries though!

Just make sure the battery you get is a "sealed lead acid" one which is rechargeable, you definately don't want one to leak all over you. Easiest way I have found to carry them is to put them into a small backpack that has good wide shoulder straps, that distributes the weight nicely.

Back