Painting rifle/scope-Best way?

pockets

I am planning on buying a Stevens in .223, and putting a Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 on to have a light calling rifle. I also want to paint the rig to match my natural gear snow camo. I have never painted a rifle before. What is the best process, what is the best paint to use, any tips?

Dura Coat and an air brush. Takes a little time and effort but if you get the cammo Kit from Laurer it makes it easy Just google Dura Coat and check Laurer they have so many p[atterns of cammo you will drool

Here is a link to a youtube video on painting rifles. I have painted three rifles so far and the first two look horrible. Ahhh... but the third one I just finished last night it is sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sorry I don't have a pic but I will get one.

This is a simple method that works really well.

Heres what I do, and found it to be real fast and effective, I take a old hand towel (DONT TELL MY WIFE) and I cut the lower half of it into strips so I can hang on to the upper portion and not paint my hand, these little strips just hang off the end looks like it was caught in a paper shreader. Take and paint a base coat of your color of choice, (I use krylon camo tan) then take the towel hold the upper part thats not shreaded then flop the shreded ends over the gun paint right through the shreds move them to another location on the gun and flop paint until you get what you want, or let it dry a bit then apply the third color, it gets a realistic patern going. the extra paint that gets on the towel and slaps the gun make interesting patterns also. Heres a pic of mine done with a towel.
036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice looking camo job Steve. The nice thing about the rattle can camo jobs is it's inexpensive to change the color for different seasons. With that said I'm not painting any of my rifles.

I really think camo is more of a coyote hunter thing than a coyote thing. Been shooting them for 45 years and not a single one come up and said "geeze great camo". You can also wrap some vet wrap around your rifle. If it makes you feel better do it.

Here is my Handi project. Masked everything off after wiping down real good with alcohol. Base coat of desert sand with stenciling of olive drab and brown. The stencil I used was a twig off a fur tree in the back yard.
100_3498.jpg

100_3497.jpg

I do have the reuseable wrap, but thought one painted would be cool. I can't bring myself to paint my ruger target mini, or ruger M77 target in 220 swift. I plan on using the 223 Stevens for less pelt damage, and I only hunt for fur in the winter, hence the snow camo. May as well look the part right?

I painted my Stevens 200 the day I got it, too ugly to go in the safe without paint. Use Krylon Fusion on the stock for best adhesion, I use metal primer on the metal and scope for the base coat. Both are cleaned with alcohol, as are my teeth while I am doing the painting. I pack the optics with Kleenex and seal with tape, golf tee in the barrel end. Bolt closed. Base camo coat over primers. Reassemble. With snow camo you can leave the thing in different colors for the base coat, drape with grass, mesh, strips of cloth, yarn, whatever and spray the white paint over that and instant snow camo.

I also cut up one of my daughters white stockings and that stretches over the gun well enough.

Back