lion calling advice needed

I've never attempted calling a lion,but have located an area after hunting with a friend that has hounds,that several cats are living in.The lions seem to be making a loop from canyon/rim rock habitat to open flat sage brush draws where there are sheep herds living.
Questions
What sound would be preferable?
What habitat to call in(the open country is easily accessible)
what time of day would be most productive?
Would night hunting be an option provided its legal?
These ar the ultimate predators and I would love to have one come to a call.last year I had the priveledge of treeing a fine cat-you'll never forget the look in their eyes.

Don't call to an empty house.

Cougs cover lots of real estate and if they can't hear it you are lost.

This means TONS of scouting.

Sounds are not as important as getting close enough for them to hear you.

With "your" cats feeding on sheep ......... you might try to get a sheep sound.

Barring that ........ doe, fawn ....... even elk calf or cow meows have worked wonders.

Besides getting close and using a good sound ..... the next big challange ..... is to get a good shot at the cat ....... ie see it in time BEFORE it back doors you and split.

They are MASTERS at busting you without you even knowing they were even there!!!!!!!

This means you need to be totally ....... TOTALLY still and invisible ......... YET ....... see ALL ......

Try that on for size.

Regards

Three 44s

i say number one like three44's said is to find out where cats are at. then you can call in those areas. i have called one in at midday and another in the evening. i think the calls that work are whatever they will eat.

Can't add much to what three44s said. Emphasis should be placed on his advice about getting a good shot on the cat. Sounds simple but it isn't. The biggest factor that helped me connect was setting up the stand so you have the visual advantage. Again, sounds simple. It's important with any predator. How you set the stand up can make or break you with lions.

Good hunting

Fawn distress called mine in but I didn't get the shot off before he saw me. I didn't have a decoy to keep his attention and he saw me move. I was in a tree stand too.

Good Luck,

gonzaga

Back