Published AR15 223 load recipe for Sierra 69 Gr BTHP-Match

Illini

My reloading book doesn't have much for this bullet, and really want to start with something published. Shooting through a DPMS in 223, 24 inch barrel, 1 in 9 twist, COL of 2.25 or less as must fit in magazine (they're pretty long, hope this won't be a problem seating them that far into brass).

And if beggars were choosers...looking for H335 or H322 powder ... cause that's what I use for my smaller stuff.

Any help or experience would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Here you go:

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Scroll down about 1/4 way down the page, and click on the GREEN BOX that says Sierra Load Data on the right-hand side of the page. There are 2 boxes there, one for bolt guns & one for the AR platform.

Sierra's data shows a OAL for that bullet listed as 2.260" so I am doubtful if you can load it to fit in the magazine. That DEFINITELY isn't a hunting bullet, so would it matter if they had to be single-fed anyway? Just thinking outloud..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, will have a look.

Thinking they ought to be heavy enough to knock a prairie dog over, even though they are matchkings.

The 68 and 69 match bullets can be loaded to fit in the mag, I do it all the time. Now the 75gr A-Max can not, and needs to be single loaded.

Those bullets can be seated to 2.26 (mag length) and really do well with Varget. H335 will work but has never produced as well in my rifles (with those bullets) as Varget,

ok ....looked at the site...and with Varget looks like something in the 25 grain should be middle of the road.

kelbro...what primers are you using on that varget load?

wonder what happens if a guy messes up and pinches them down to 2.25

Thats also a +1 for the varget, I have tried the 322, 335 and 748 none gave me the preformance and accuracy the varget did.

Quote:
wonder what happens if a guy messes up and pinches them down to 2.25

Thats only 10 thousands, about 3 hairs put togather, I dout you or the rifle will notice the difference.

Last edited:
Appreciate the perspective Furhunter, thank you and thanks to all for the responses .... this place is great.

Hidalgo..you have me thinking about these being match rounds and not for hunting... but I guess worse case the match rounds will act like a FMJ round...thinking won't see the pop but will be all over for em anyway. Anybody shot prairie dogs with matchking rounds?

I use either CCI400 or Federal GMM205M with equal results. Start at 25 and work up in .1gr increments to 26 and I'll bet you find a couple of good nodes. I found good ones close to 25 and close to 26.

2.25" is fine. I have tried both lengths and it would take a much better shooter than me to tell the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Back