Judging the Age of Coyotes?

Busta-yote

I would like someone to tell me there methods of guesstimating (dead/alive)a coyotes age! I feel that I can come pretty close by looking at teeth and other body features, but I would like to know what all ya'll think! No microscope or DNA replies are needed. I just want the "Poor Boy" Method!! Thanks guys! This may need to be in Biology, but i figured more poor boy methods would come from here faster.. I didn't like biology in school and I sure don't want to go to that subject now! Thanks Guys!!

------------------
Busta-yote
yotewalk.gif

I think I can shootm' if I can see'm!!

Busta-yote--here's a diagram of the jaws of a coyote posted by Az Will on another board quite some time ago. I copied the picture and the text and am placing it below. You'd better copy it to your hard drive because I have this stored on PhotoPoint and I don't think I will be paying them $9.95 or $19.95 or anything else to store my pictures on their site. I think they have set April 30 as the deadline to pay up or get out.

View

Aging Coyotes (Taken from a posting by AZWill on Shade Tree Hunting Forum, 3/6/2000)

In the field, coyotes are normally aged in four categories or classes: (1) Pups; (2) Yearlings; (3) Mature; (4) Old.

At six months the pups normally have their permanent teeth and weigh between 12 and 16 pounds. Young coyotes retain a juvenile face until about eight months old.

At one year coyotes are fully-grown, seldom have much body fat, and their canine and incisor teeth are white and sharp showing no wear.

The above figure represents average tooth wear in a coyote, by years, at mid-winter.

1 yr. – Incisors all rounded; no wear facets; canines sharp, incomplete.

2 yr. – Incisors inner cusp blunted; distinct wear facet; notch distinct; incisor (1) slightly blunted; canines complete.

3 yr. – Incisor flat, notch barely visible; incisor (1) almost square, inner notch distinct, incisor (2) inner cusp half gone; other incisors showing some blunting.

4 yr. – Incisor flat; dentine showing, notch gone; incisor (2) almost flat, incisor (1) worn to inner notch; incisor (2) blunted; both notches visible.

5 yr. – Incisor (1, 2) flat, notches gone; incisor (3) notch visible; incisor (1, 2) flat both inner and outer notches gone, incisor (3) distinctly blunted.

6 yr. – Lower incisors essentially flat across with only tiny notch in incisor (3); incisors (1, 2) flat across, all notches gone; PM (pre-molars) cusps showing wear.

7 yr. – Notch gone from incisor (3), upper incisors flat except incisor (3); canines and all cusps of PM and M (molars) distinctly worn.

Mature coyotes, 2 to 6 years old, have teeth with an increasing degree of wear on the canines and incisors and the animals are heavier in body weight. Older animals of 7 years or more may have teeth that are beginning to yellow and usually show wear on all the teeth. The canine and incisor teeth are sometimes broken or missing.

I hope this is of some use to you. Thanks to AZ Will for posting it the first time.

Maybe Steve Allen or Doc could shed some light on whether this chart works on the Eastern coyote or not.

Unfortunately, Roadkill, I have over 250 pictures stored at PhotoPoint's Web site so 10 free ones doesn't help me much. Maybe I should delete all of them except the one of the tooth chart and a couple others.

I paid the $9.95 while the offer was good. When I did, it said that I had 447 pictures at that time, and I have added to it since then. But I expect them to raise the anty next year, so I am looking around. Meanwhile, I guess I am getting my money's worth.

I use PhotoPoint as an insurance policy for my digital photos. With them stored on my hard drive, a crash would cause me to lose them all if I did not have them stored on the internet.

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
LW42144.jpg

http://www.predatormasters.com

I would think the tooth wear chart should apply quite well to determine approximate ages wherever coyotes occur. However, because the chart is based on tooth wear coyotes in sandy country or country with frozen food items may show greater rates of wear than coyotes that live in other areas. Even then it may not be enough of a difference to be detectable.

The only exact method to determine age in coyotes is to remove teeth (canine teeth are best) and make microscope sections of the root. Rings can be counted in the cementum layer on the outside of the root just about like rings in a tree; 1 ring for each year of life. Obviously this is overkill for what most hunters are looking for, and the chart will suffice quite well in lieu of a bunch of lab work.

I aam only reasonably accurate in determining how long ago a coyote came into this world but I'm nearly 100% accurate in determining his last day

I was going to say that AzWill was the person who posted that teeth chart, WOW it goes way back to the Shade Tree......

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

Back