My first night hunt in '08! Success!

pyledriver

My son had a friend spend the night on New Year's eve, which had me scheming about taking the both of 'em hunting the next day. Well, we all slept late, and I decided we'd go work on some duck blinds for this weekends hunt...but that didn't pan out either. Finally I thought, 'WAIT-we'll do a night hunt for preds'!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I called a guy I know to make sure he had not been hunting out there too recently, and during the conversation found out that he'd been wanting to hit that place, AND he has a high rack! We came up with a plan and I was PUMPED. I've never hunted out of a high rack before, neither had my son or his buddy, and I just KNEW we were getting ready to fill up the back of the truck!!

The day had been great, sunny, a bit windy with some 5-15 gusts, and a cold front on the way that was supposed to drop the temps into the 20's after dark! We dressed accordingly, and met up around 6:15 near the place we were to hunt. Here's the before pic-my son is the one with the camo jacket:

1-1-8b4.jpg

The first stand we made was a real eye-opener for me, since during the years of going out there I had never known that pasture was part of the land!! I discovered there was another pasture as well that I had never known about later as well! Anyway, that stand came up empty, but it I felt like it was a great success just to discover that extra bit of land and even considered how I would hunt it differently in the future.

The next stand was a little 'tight' with brush all around us, and even though we didn't call anything, the coyotes started howling aways out in the direction we were headed next. We packed up, drove about 500 yards upwind across a creek, and called for about 5 minutes. I was looking through a nightvision scope that my son's friend brought, and noticed that the spotlight (which I'd been dodging with the nightvision) suddenly wasn't sweeping around anymore! I turned to look and I could tell that my son was aiming and ready to shoot!! I looked through the night scope, and saw the critter right as he shot, and I could see the bullet for a short ways as it headed out-that was cool! The .243 Corelokt did a number on a small female at about a 100yds!

Sorry the photo isn't the best, we were a bit rushed unfortunately!

1-1-8Zachcoyote.jpg

A fun time to be sure, and I hope a sign of things to come for '08!!

Thanks! I'm pretty sure there will be more to come! Now I want to build a high rack for my truck! I just have to get more land to hunt so I can justify it...

Thats great! thats cool that you could use a night vision scope! Did it have a good clear image? Thats a great way to start off the new year.

Back