Tenn. Hog Hunting

mutwagn

Some budies and I are looking at the different hog hunts available in Tenn.
Have any of you used the lodges/services that are advertised on the internet?
The ones we are looking at Wilderness Hunting Lodge, Loshbough Hunting Range, and Caryonah Hunting Lodge, came up when I did a google search. I have emailed all three and am waiting for there response. I also have asked for refrences.
Any comments on these three, or recomendations for others, or even stay away from this one would be appreciated.
We mainly are looking for 8 hours or less drive from central VA. A decent lodge and facilities. And a good hunting expierence.
And of course some good pigs. No farmers old sow turned loose yesterday.
Thanks for any info that you can give. mutwagn

Buddy of mine went to Wilderness Hunting Lodge a couple years ago and he was really impressed. He recommended it to me when i was looking around at different hunts but thats about all i can tell ya about it. Can ask him more if you want more info. I got mine this past season at Catoosa WMA. 80,000 acres and have to be drawn on most hunts, but you have deer and boar tags. Mine dressed out 187 lbs
DSCN0566-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply. If you could ask your buddy about his hunt at Wilderness I would appreciate it. They responded to my email, as did the other two, but there rates are a little better when you look at the total package.
So yes I am very interested in any comments on the Wilderness Hunting Lodge.
That looks like a decent pig there. How far from Kingsport is Catoosa.
If the out of state fees are not to bad, that may be a thought for future trips if I could make a drawing. I have friends in Hiltons, VA, so I have a place to overnight at least.
Thanks again. mutwagn

Its a pretty good drive from Kingsport, about 3 hours. As soon as i get back to work ill hit my buddy up for a little more info and get back with ya.

Mutwagn, Catoosa WMA would be a FINE choice for you. There are several hotels in easy driving distance, and the area has a good hog population. Of course, as with any strange hunting ground, I would definitely plan on spending a couple of "wasted" days there simply scouting and getting to know the area, and then several days to hunt. There are a lot of Tennessee boys who would be glad to help you out.

Several other places to check with the Tennessee guys are:

www.tndeer.com

www.state.tn.us/twra/

www.tnpredators.com

Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Here I am at Caryonah. I really like that place. More land than the other lodges. All of them are fenced but Caryonah has more land fenced. We walked miles on that place. Wilderness is nice but expect less land. Catoosa has a low success ratio. Cheaper if if you get to go but the hog populations are spotty. I know plenty of guys that have went there and never seen a hog and a very few that got right on them. reflex264

caryonah has 800 acres for hog hunting, they have so much demand for hogs hunting that they buy hogs from fl. to keep up with the demand. Was there years ago, wasn't really impressed with hog hunting, but the lodge is nice, main thing that made my trip was cold beer and good friends and the cookin there!
RR

Thank you for the info.
We are still undecided between Caryonah and Wilderness for this trip, but we will make a decision and send in the deposit this coming week.
I looked at Catoosa on the TWRA sight. It is an interesting idea for a future hunt, and I realize that it may take several trips to any new area to get familiar with it.
There are a few other WMAs that are also interesting when it comes to pigs as well.
Thank all of you again, mutwagn.

Just an update on our pig hunt plans.
The four of us are booked for the last weekend in March at the Wilderness hunting lodge.
It was a consensus, among us all, and all of us are wishing it was next weekend.
Thanks again for the help and info. I'll let you know how the hunt goes and what we thought of it when we get back.
mutwagn

I have been to three different hunting hunting lodges in TN and Wilderness is the best . I took this boar on the last trip at Wilderness with one of my 1911 45 ACP'c and the 230 gr Hornady XTP Plus P ammo. The Shot was around 30 to 35 yards and the boar dropped in his tracks. You will like Wilderness.
45andboar.jpg

bobboar.jpg

Nice pig, and thanks for the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
The next two months will drag by now.
I can hardly wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
mutwagn

I see you have chosen Wilderness. I did all kinds of research and asked and asked around and I was going to go to Loshbough. Wilderness was going to be my second choice. The rest were just blips. I have heard good and bad to all the places, but it just depends on how you go into it. Good luck on your hunt and I hope the experience is what you expect.

Sorry, I should have posted the update before now.
Four of us, myself, my cousin, my stepson, and a good friend, went to the Wilderness Lodge for a wild pig hunt, arriving on Thursday March the 29th, late in the evening.
We all shot our pigs the next day, and decided that we would leave Saturday morning to head home.
Now, the hunt was different, none of us had ever been to a fenced in hunting preserve, and honestly to myself it felt more like hunting on a farm. Not like hunting on a farm for deer either, but for the farm animals.
The exotic animals were fun to watch and look at, but I could never shoot one under those circumnstances.
The lodging was adequate, but to me was not equal to the price paid. Maybe I am harsh, but 10 people to a bath just doesn't cut it. Also the beds were fancy log bunk beds, pretty and rustic, with four and six in the next, but the bedding was bought by some one who had no idea what they were doing.
Would I go again, NO! And this will be how I judge all the trips to come.
I did take a few pictures. Here is myself with the pig I shot, [image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/photo/550532/cat/ppuser/size/big[/image] and my stepson with his, [image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/photo/550534/cat/ppuser/size/big[/image]
I am glad I went. The trip down was enjoyable, and the trip home was easy, but to quote another hunter there, if you enjoy taking your pistol to the petting zoo, then it isn't a bad deal. Personally, I would rather go somewhere were I actually had to hunt.
mutwagn

Last edited:
These hunts are canned hunts if you don't kill you don't pay. The hogs aren't tame they are purchased from Trappers who trap them out of the wild in the Smokey Mountains. They are for pistol hunter and archery hunter in my opinion who want some pork for the freezer. These hunts are wait and pick your shot hunts. They are in fenced areas or the hogs would wonder all over the county and the farmers would have a fit when they rooted up their crops. The area that is fenced in on most preserver is quite large and you can hunt a long time before coming to a fence. Some are smaller. This type of hunting isn't for everyone but it is a break when nothing is in season and when people are on a tight time schedule. These should be handgun or bow only hunts. I personally like going on one these hunts about every four or five years just to try out another one of my handguns or bow.

sounds like wilderness's lodge is not quite what caryona is (1 bath per 2 hunters) but hunting is about equal, I won't return again, 600 bucks for an average hog is steep, but the food was awesome!
RR

Quote:
sounds like wilderness's lodge is not quite what caryona is (1 bath per 2 hunters) but hunting is about equal, I won't return again, 600 bucks for an average hog is steep, but the food was awesome!
RR

I have been to Caryona and i liked Wilderness better. Wilderness let me hunt on my own then come back and tell them where the hog was down and they took a four wheeler and hauled it out. Here is the hogs from Caryona taken with a bow . Myself and my son. I went on this hunt to take my son who had never taken a Boar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bobintn.jpg

You are right, but some of the hunt area are mighty big barns. These hunts are personal choice and everyone has to make their own opinion on them and in this part of the east if you want a hog then you don't have many other options.

Back