RANGER ARMS

a1deadzip

My uncle has a rifle that I can't find any info on. Stamped on the barrel is "Ranger Arms, Gainesville Tx"

It is a 6.5 Rem Mag. He got the gun from his dad in the early 70's. The gun is in perfect condition. The last time it was shot was 1972. I am looking for a ballpark value and any other info.

Ranger Arms rifles were built in the late 60's to early 70's. Value has them frolm $375 fo rthe statesman grade in poor shape to $500 for a govenors grade in mint condition. What configuration and wood is the gun?

I live neer Gainsville Tx and know some about Ranger Arms. They stoped making them in 78 and had various styles.It is more of a collector to people whole live in the area. I have a few and am always looking to ad a few more to my collection. If you are interested in selling or trading for a newer gun I would like to have it.

Thanks I have bee a member of Texas Varmit Hunters for a while now and just recently came across Predator Masters. Great site with tons of info.

I've heard of Ranger Arms, but never seen one.
Could one of you gents post a pic?

Curiosity...
They sound like good rifles, & those that have em keep em.

HUM! Thats funny because I live 10 minutes from Gainsville and know severel people that worked for Ranger Arms in the 70s and all Ranger Arms were custom guns. They were not made for retail sell. If one was made it was made custom ordered.I have seen approx 500 to 600 of these guns and not one of them have had the same wood or the same design. Also for example a 300 win mag may be serial #1000, and serial # 1001 might be a 22-250. This will also tell you that they were not production made if they were they would have consecutive running numbers on the same caliber. There were only approx 4000 of them made from the mid 60s to 78 when they quit making them.These guns ran extremley high for that time and era. This was when you could buy a rem model 700 for 160.00 and the Ranger in the same caliber was selling from 300.00 to 500.00 depending on the design and customizing on the gun. There are not many people in 1970 that could afford a gun for that ammount.There certianly were not any gun shops that could afford to put theses on the shelf. Now he may have taken custom orders for Ranger and had the gun built for a customer, but they didnt set on a shelf for sale.

My dad had one stolen out of our trailer (had it in a gun case under a bunch of gear, bad move /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif) in 1986 in Ballinger, Texas when he stopped to let me and a buddy take a leak on the way home from hunting one weekend. It was chambered in 7mm mag and was a sweet shooting machine. The wood was some of the prettiest I've seen but the comb of the stock was shaped to where it would knock your fillings out every time you shot a round. Nice gun, I wish the old man still had it and so does he. Anybody around Ballinger/Paint Rock/Bronte area see a Ranger in 7mm mag let me know, I might want to talk to the "Owner".
Trashcan
Death Card Calls

My father had a high end custom gun shop. He took custom orders for people in the NE. He had 3 built for display. Did not sell many Rangers. People bought more Weatherby's than anything else. He meet Van Ellis on his trip to the factory in Gainsville. I still have all the sales brochures from Ranger. (Costs, Grades etc). I hear Joe Dubiel (in Sherman) bought the left over parts from Ranger when they shut down.

Last numbers I heard were ~5000 actions were produced. I have some SN's in the 4xxx range.

I know exactly where you live. My mom grew up in Whitesboro.

Did you know Jimmy Henry? He lived in Gainsville and collected Rangers.

I am very familiar with Rangers. I have several of the guns and have shot them all my life. Tell me if you have some you are looking to trade.

I understand now, that sounds more like how I was told they were sold. I sure would like to see some of the sales brochures you have, that sounds pretty interesting.I do not want to sell any I just bought a new safe just for my Rangers . There is two on gun broker one has a decent price but the other is in far left field. I know they are not a collector to anyone except someone in this area. Yes I know of him and have talked to him a few times. If there is anything you need he is the man with the answer on Rangers. I have heard the same about Joe but from what I can find he has passed. Not exactly sure but thats what I have been told.

Saw the 2 on Gunbroker. Talked to both sellers. The 300 win mag has been shot out in rough shape. The #3 serial number is way over priced. Although the #1 serial number went for $16k in the last couple of years at auction.

I keep those brochures tight. I only use them as trade enhancers. I am looking for a 308 or a 243. Have you seen any in those calibers? I have a couple of Gov grade Rangers to trade.

I heard the same thing about Joe DuBiel. I am still trying to locate the extra actions in the "white" to build me a Ranger.

Last edited:
I do have a 243 and know where a 308 is but not sure if he will let it go. I will talk to him tomorow and find out. Ill get back with you on it.

Sounds good on the 308. Would you be interested in trading your 243? Do you know of any Mannlichers? Any caliber interest you?

I also have some of the original "Ranger Arms" paper targets you received when you bought a gun.

Last edited:
Back