Who packs a side arm?

SteveB22250

I have been hnting coyotes for a few years now, and have had some close calls with downed coyotes almost getting my behind. First one I poked with my gun barrel, looked very dead until the gun touched it and it came alive bit my barrel and after getting my barrel out of its mouth I got back enough for a follow up shot, this year I dropped a yote in his tracks at about 250 yards I go out to get him and hes gone, I start looking around and walked around a juniper tree when all of the sudden I hear a growl and some barking coming at me from about 6 feet this yote was coming to geta piece of me I already had my rifle down and ready because I did not see him where he dropped I spun around hitting him good enough to turn him around he ran behind the tree and I shot through the tree down he goes I thought for good this time, I start to walk up he jumps up again coming after me I finished it with a center chest shot. dont ask where the original bullet hit cause this dog was messed up. I just purchased a 45 to pack on hunts for this reason, just wondering who else carrys? I plan on using it for going out to downed game that may not be down for good.

I have an ultra-light 38 special that goes with me about everywhere. Carry a couple of speed loaders, one with snakeshot and one with regular loads. Lots of snakes with fangs out here where I live.

pack a Ruger Mark II .22 and stingers for the necessity of finishing one off, if the chance arises that the .243 only half-killed one. :-0 or like IDBob said, in late Spring/summer, carry birdshot for snakes.

I always carry a sidearm when I'm calling or out in the boonies for any other reason. You just never know what or who you're going to run into. Due to the latter I tend to carry major caliber handguns instead of 22's, but that's just me.

I carry a High Standard Longhorn double nine 22 with a 9 1/2" bbl for finishing them if they aren't quite dead yet.
Best trade I ever made.

If my boots are in the dirt, there's a sidearm on my hip. It's on from the time I step out of the tent or camper, and until I go to bed. Several reasons why, in order of importance:

1. Protection from people. The single biggest unknown. You cannot trust people in the woods anymore and just assume them to be trustworthy outdoorsman. Opportunists and wackos are in the woods now on a regular basis. See our very own deathcryarcher12's recent story as an example. Story link. And what about that Hmong guy that killed all those deer hunters up in Wisconsin. They were all unarmed. Not me. I'm going down shooting, or at least attempting a draw, should that day ever come.

2. Protection from critters. Too many times is the rifle not handy, and when calling in lion country, it's nice to have a sidearm in case I get knocked away from, or cannot bring to bear, my rifle.

3. Because I just like exercising that right.

Can't see a day that I wouldn't wear one.

I carry a Glock 22 all the time I hunt. Here in AZ where I hunt yotes are not the only critters you run into. There are several of the 2 legged variety that "have nothing to lose"!

i carry a .22 single action most of the time unless its deer season then i have my glock .40 or hk .45.

the way i understand the laws we can only carry rimfire unless a modern gun season is open.

I never even thought about it. I often carry the .44 deer hunting but never crossed my mind for predator hunting. I might just start carrying my .22lr S&W22A after reading about all the coyotes stepping on toes and rushing when wounded. I carried my .22 whenever I went for squirrels and rabbits with the shotgun. Just for finishing shots mostly.

I carry a concealed Kahr P40 everywhere I go when I step out of the house, including Coyote hunting. I never have concerned myself with critter protection although it would work nicely for that should the need arise. I carry mine primarily for protection against two legged predators. I personally would prefer my AR in my hands when approaching a downed Coyote than any handgun but thats just me.

I used to carry a 45 but it got too heavy. My justification was just in case of lions. But I can't really use it to finish anything off if I want to keep the skin, so I carry an old Mark I my pop gave me- I figure ten rounds ought to be enough to make a lion lose his appetite- besides, how often do people get attacked anyway?-I got a better chance getting hit by lightning- even if I was blowing a fawn distress dressed in a bambi suit!

345T.jpg

I carry a single 6 Ruger I put the 22 mag cylender in and load her up with high velosity 50 grain hollow points. It'll stop any lions I run into. And Ive been known to run into a few.

I carry a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 45ACP Loaded Model. I carry on a daily basis, concealed normally. I have a Tactical Thigh Holster I use when I am hunting. It lowers it down out of the way of my rifle, and is right at my finger tips, and is in plain view of anyone I come into contact with while in the field.

As my signature line says; "Like your Master Card, Don't leave home without it!"

I am out in the desert alot, and have encountered some pretty strange people while hunting, until they see that you are carrying a sidearm, then they just kind of go away, and leave the area without incident.

I really don't want to get into a situation like deathcryarcher12, and not be able to return fire. That story just goes to show you that it really doen't matter if you are in the city or out in the country, you can't trust the actions of others.

There have been times I have needed it to dispatch a charging jackrabbit, or a wayword porcupine, I have even shot a deer or two with it, but I have never been attacked by a wounded coyote, although it would be pretty cool to have happen. LOL

Good Hunting
IDB

I used to carry a S&W 22A, but I had to trade it in to get my Savage .223, so I guess it's gonna be the Glock 17 now(2nd Gen, hi-cap thank you very much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif). I still want to get another .22, but just some cheapo for the coupe de grace should the need arise.

A 44 mag for many of the reasons stated above but in some cases a 44 with a 240 gr bullet isn't big enough. Thinking about just packing a short rifle in 45-70 using a 400 gr bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back