Questions from western NY new guy

MissesAlot

Hey gang, hope all are doing well this season. I have been predator hunting a few times over the years, but am looking to get into it a bit more seriously now, and had a few questions for guys in the general area on what and how everyone is doing what they do.
1. Shotgun or rifle? choke/Load/caliber?
2. time of successful hunts-dusk, dawn, day, night?
3. hand calls? what type and brand/model?
4. electronic call, i'm looking at the pm-3
5. fur buyers?
6. fur prices on reds/greys/coyotes?
7. i've been told that there isn't much sense calling with no snow, this true?

this oughta get me started, thanks in advance guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not really in your area but I think I can answer a few.
1. 223 rifle/12ga, turkey full, large shot-legal for your area.
2. I prefer dusk
3. couple diff hand calls, don't remember models
4. best one you can afford
5. can't help
6. reds should see 20-25
greys will hit mid 40's
coyotes vary greatly, I'd guess around 20
7. I love the snow
Hope this helps some.

1. Both, depends on the conditions. 12 ga/extra full/4 buck.
22 mag during deer season in shotgun only zones. 17 or 22 centerfires when legal.

2. Night

3. Open reeds

4. MP3 Player and Amp

7. NO

Just to get started, I'm sure you will get more replies.

Spark

hey guys in NY, where do you buy the 4 buck?
can you tell me more, or point me to a resource, regarding your caller using an mp3 player and an amp. i have a couple ipods, will they work? what kind of amp and speaker? is this more economical that the pm-3 for $100?
thanks guys, this is great info.

1. Shotgun or rifle? choke/Load/caliber?
12 ga 3.5" #4 buck or dead coyote I shoot both through the dead coyote choke tube(bikerks in ER or online will have the loads)
22-250 if I have ampel lighting
2. time of successful hunts-dusk, dawn, day, night?
I hunt mostly after 11PM
3. hand calls? what type and brand/model?
Crit-R-Call PeeWee
Brunham Borthers Mini Blaster
Kerry Carvers Swift
4. electronic call, i'm looking at the pm-3
Dont know, dont use them
5. fur buyers?
dont know, I keep all mine
6. fur prices on reds/greys/coyotes?
see above
7. i've been told that there isn't much sense calling with no snow
Not true, call when ever you can, the more time you spend out calling the better you success will become. I do love the snow tough

1) 12 gauge single shot shotgun (3.5 inch 4 shot mags turkey load) over snow,no light: Rifle .22mag 99% of the time with Burris electro dot scope. Center fire rifle 223 and 222

2)99% of time from 9:00pm - 4:00am

3) Hand calls,(Critter call, Lohman,Scerry etc.)

4) Was JS 512 now Minaska

5) Joe Fonzi Gasport NY

6) $12-15 for reds, $20 on up for grays, Coyotes same as reds

&) would rather call with no snow on a very dark night, light wind

Good advice from all. Do think a .22 mag. is being "under gunned" if a yote comes in though.Now that deer season is over or you hunt in a centerfire WMU go to the .22-250 or .223. Stick to the shotgun advice for night hunting and go with #4 buck or dead coyote T for night hunting. Snow is a great time to call. Great time to track to where you should be calling also.

now i don't want to start a war, i've been reading all the wars on here in regards to rifle caliber. i have a 22mag, and have been told several times that its a little light for fox/coyote. this being said, i have been in the market for a rifle, and am interested in keeping hides, does the 223 do too much pelt damage and is a 204 going to inflict less? i am attracted to the 204 because of the reported long range capabilities. i'm not concerned about the price of ammo as i don't plan to do any plinking, just a few woodchucks and whatever fox/coyote i can get close enough to shoot at. originally i had been told 243 so as to double as a deer rifle, but since have been told that it will shred fox for sure and not leave much of a coyote either, hence my interest in the 204 for preserving much of the range of a 243 but without some of the shredding. i don't know anything about rifles other than what i've read though, so i'm open to anything. i have seen the recomendations for the 17's, that being said, what are your thoughts taking the 17 out of the picture for now?

Take a look at the 17 Fireball, it will be a great woodchuck gun and great on fox and will definately do the job on coyotes as long as you aren't doing any real long range sniping. It really depends on how fur conscious you want to be. Anything over that and you are going to have to load it down to keep from shredding fox. Fox are usually what most guys in this state will shoot the most of depending on your area. The 22 mag is a good choice for fox and will do the job on coyotes if you keep it to 100 yards or less and pick good shots. The other calibers are good choices but can be problematic on not tearing fox hides.

The reason the 22mag is used is do to the restrictions placed on the hunter during deer season. It is an awesome round for fox and well placed shots on coyotes. I tend to hunt very close to civilization and the quiet report and minimum distance of the round is warranted. We do not have use of center fire rifle until the closing of deer where I live. I mostly hunt at night so the animals will come closer than day. That said, I would stick to any of the 22 caliber rounds for the Western NY area. If you wanted to go to the 17rem also great choice. This game can be played with any toys the boys want to use. Just finding the areas to hunt is the problem. Have to hunt where the animals are. I have used my 22mag for 15 years taking hundreds fox, small game and several coyote. I tend to call more fox do to the ease of them coming in and the numbers compared to the odies. Pick your gun and go have some fun.

Back