Rock Chuck Hunting in Idaho

argo

Belong to a well organized and saftey oriented Varmint Club called the "Critter Getters" and we are looking for a place to hunt Rock Chuck's in Idaho.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

In the southern parts of the state stick around the lava flows and you should get into them. YOu do have to have a non-game gun license to hunt (January-August) or a hunting license to hunt all year. A lot of places have been shot out but you can still find good pockets of them if you put miles on the vehicle.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.giffunny! I wish I could but I don't want all my spots shot up by you guys. I've spent lots of money in gas and time finding the spots I hunt.
I realize you can't do a lot of scouting but if you can you should spend a couple of days driving and asking locals where you can find them.
I've seen quite a few along the road by Inkom but have never hunted around there.

I really do appreciate your position and respect your professional way of expressing yourself. I will make a note of Inkom and report back to the club. Also contacted Idaho Dept of Fish and Game and the biologist was out, but I was encouraged by the statements made regarding high population counts in the southern part of the state.

Thanks again.

Use to be a lot off of highway 95 between Weiser and Council. I haven't hunted there for lots of years so you would have to do some scouting.

My 1st post on this site and I am sharing with a fellow Oregonian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I haven't hunted them over there but do see quite a few right along the intetstate between Boise and Twin Falls. Mostly around the alfalfa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif obviously, but I would guess if you get off the blacktop and do some knocking you should do well. I am always over there mid week and have yet to see anyone actually out shooting/hunting them. If you can swing it I would highly recomend mid week to avoid crowds.

Care to share any info on critter getters???

Last edited:
Idaho has lots of rockchucks. They're like anything else, just go exploring. You could find targets real quick or spend most of the time driving and looking, it's all part of the deal. Going with friends to their spots and taking them to mine is also part of the deal. But the last thing I'd ever do is tell some hunting club where I go to shoot.

Quote:
"... But the last thing I'd ever do is tell some hunting club where I go to shoot."

I hear that - might as well put up maps and instructions on the wall of the local Cabelas's or Wally's.

Back