New Purchase 17 HMR - Savage vs Marlin vs CZ

CalCoyote

I need some help on making a purchase:

I got some Christmas money to spend and will use it to purchase a 17 hmr. I have about $250 to spend which is probably not enough for stainless with a laminated stock. I probably will have to settle for synthetic and blued steel. I already have a Leupold 3X9 40mm that came off another rifle that I can put on it.

I have shot the Savage and CZ in the hmr but not the Marlin. I like the fit and finish better on the CZ, but like the accutrigger on the Savage. I also like the safety better on the Savage. Although I like really like the CZ, the price is probably higher than the $250 I have to spend, but I have a close friend that owns a gun shop that will give me a good discount.

Please tell me the things you like and dislike about each gun. Will the CZ group as good as the Savage on paper? What about Marlin?

Calcoyote

I have a savage pre-accutrigger heavy stainless steel barrel and really like it. It shoots very well. If I were to change anything on it, it would probably be the trigger and I'd go with a sporter barrel.

I can't speak for the CZ but I have 2 of the Savages and both shoot good. The 9317 with the thumbhole stock and accu-trigger is my favorite. Excellent groups at 100 yard, well balanced and sells for $299 with a branded scope.

I have shot 2 different savage 17 HMR's and they were both scary accurate. Both were using vmax bullets. One of those guns was cjg_beef's 17hmr.

I bought the marlin from walmart and upgraded the stock and trigger its accurate just like most of them are.
IMG_0846.jpg

Get the Savage and dont look back. I have 2 of them and they both shoot awesome. One has the accu-trigger which I really like and then other doesnt. I am about to get a trigger from SSS for that one. If I were you I would get the heavy barrel. Even though it has a heavy barrel it is still a light weight gun in my opinion. Its nothing to carry all day stalking rabbits and I think with the heavy barrel it feels more balanced. Here is a pic of my favorite of them 2. I paid more then $200 for it but it was worth it. My synthectic/stainless was a little cheaper, but after a cheap camo job on the stock it works great. Hope this helps.

100_0193.jpg

I would recommend the CZ 452. You can get one from Whittaker's Gun Shop for $341 and you won't be disappointed. I have a 452 in 17 Mach 2 and I will soon be getting one in 17 HMR. The trigger is easily adjusted and you can get a Brooks trigger kit for $16 from Whittaker's as well. I like the looks and feel of the CZ better than the other choices. My CZ 17 Mach 2 shoots great.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

GrouseSetter

I own both CZ 452 and Savage thumbhole/laminated, SS in .17 HMR. Some GOOD news for you - you'd have to work very hard to find a .17HMR that won't shoot great,IMHO.

I like the Savage Accu-trigger but a CZ 452 with a $14 Brooks trigger kit is SWEET! I would not buy the higher-priced CZ 453 w/single set trigger - the Brooks trigger is that good. I have not shot a Marlin in .17HMR know several folks that have and like them a lot.

Find out how much your gun store buddy likes you and buy what your $250 affords you. One final tip I buy all my .17 HMR ammo on-line..my last purchase was from MidSouth in Aug/07 - 500 rounds delivered to FL for $96.51 [$8.86 50/box]. Seeing some outrageous prices in local retail stores.

Enjoy your new .17HMR

Coyoteman23,

That is one more beautiful HMR. I also want the heavy barrel. 6 lbs is not too much to carry and I will shoot as much as 50-75 rounds when I take it out to squirel town. I want something that will not heat up. A HMR only has 5 grains of powder, but I am sure that it still can heat up.

1Badshee, How much did tha stock cost you?

Calcoyote

I have a savage and 2 buddies got the CZ's. They all shoot incredibly well but the savage doesn't come close to the CZ in looks and function. The CZ is just an awesome rifle. Wish I would have gone that route initially and I wouldn't be messing with replacing my current stock like I am now.

Quote:
Coyoteman23,

1Badshee, How much did tha stock cost you?

Calcoyote

I dont remember anymore, It is a revival tundra stock.

I have the savage 93f with accutrigger and i would get a sporter weight if I had to do it over. The bore is so small the the sporter is like having a heavy barrel. The heavy barrel is an over kill. You can carry two guns for the extra weight of the heavy barrel.

I used to have the Marlin 17HMR and it was a great varmint rifle, with the exception of the trigger.

The only reason I sole it was that I had acquired a Savage .204 with the AccuTrigger... Due to the ballistics on the .204 and the Savage trigger, I couldn't justify keeping the .17HMR, as I already had a .17M2...

Just based on the trigger alone, I would go with the Savage. Not knocking the CZ, but I've never had or shot one in the .17HMR.. I feel it would be a toss up on accuracy, it's the fact of having to spend extra for a good trigger that makes the difference for me.

Keep in mind that you can get the CZ with the single set trigger now. How about 4 ounces for the set and 2.5 for the unset trigger.

Lots of good guns out there, I have a CZ 452 in 22 lr. and with Erik Brooks trigger it breaks at 1.5 pounds just like ice. Can't say enough good about the way it's made. It led me to two more CZ's and I'm happy with them all.

Back