Effective coyote range for .223?

DaveD

Need some advice, since I'm still pretty new to this. I'm thinking about getting a better scope. I'm wondering how far beyond 300 yards I should consider the max range for a 223. I have no worry that I can hit at least that far when conditions allow.

However, I'm trying to decide whether to get a plain duplex reticle and plain turrets, or whether I should spring for a BDC scope, target turrets and/or a fancier reticle to help when the bullet starts falling off the cliff.

Comments about the various alternatives are all appreciated.

I have the Ballistic plex 3-9X40 from burris and I love it. I shoot at the NRA all the time and we can hit the silhoettes up to 600 yds, unfortunately we can't go on the big bore silhoette range because the .223 will put holes in the 1/4 plates. I would love to see exactly what and how far it will go.
1.25" high @ 100
dead on @ 200
first line 300
second line 400
3 line 600. My buddy's .204 shoots the same by the way.

I came to edit this so I wouldn't be misenterpreted. I would not shoot at a coyote past 300 yds expecting to kill it everytime. I do throw hail maries too. I just wanted to make myself clear because I scrolled down and seen how and where this thread was going. So I guess my MAX comfortable range would be 300 yds and less.

gonzaga /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't shoot at coyotes beyond 200 yards with a .223 rifle. I own an AR and a bolt action rifle in .223 and although I can easily hit targets at over 300 yards, I feel they lack the downrange energy to effectively kill coyotes beyond 200 yards. MHO and I'm sticking to it.

Coyote 6974

A .223 will kill a coyote at 500 yards....if you can hit it. The object of calling coyotes, is to call them close. A called coyote should come in to well under 100 yards, and usually more on the order of between 20-60 yards. I can count on one hand, the number of called coyotes that Ive shot at, that were the other side of 300 yards, and I probably should have just let them walk, but Im as fickle as the next coyote hunter,and just had to take a poke.

I am not nearly as conservative as coyote6974. I believe that the .223 is easily capable of a 300 yard kill on a yote. Now for those states that allow shots on deer with a .223 I think 200 yards might be about the right range for a clean kill. But for a yote with a good shot placement the yote is going to feel no difference than if it were shot at 200. I also have a bolt and AR in .223. And the farthest yote I have ever killed was 280 with 55 grain vmaxes and it went down like a ton of bricks. Also about 6 weeks a friend and I called in a real big male yote at 265 and Paul anchored it with a 55 grain SP it kicked a couple of times on the ground but never moved from that spot.

But I second the thoughts of Gonzaga I have the Pentax balistics plex made by burris and I love that sucker it is very nice scope. Except mine is a 4X12 atop the Dtech AR.

Last edited:
Sorry can't find the info to confirm the scope is calibrated for 69 grainers. Go to bordermanssports.com to check it out. You can find them cheaper than they have them listed for. Also I need to rephrase what I said, Springfield armory used to make them, they don't anymore.

Quote:
I wouldn't shoot at coyotes beyond 200 yards with a .223 rifle. I own an AR and a bolt action rifle in .223 and although I can easily hit targets at over 300 yards, I feel they lack the downrange energy to effectively kill coyotes beyond 200 yards. MHO and I'm sticking to it.

Coyote 6974

I and others will respectfully disagree! I have a confirmed coyote kill at 1200 yards with a .223. Was it luck, [beeep] straight, was the coyote dead, [beeep] straight.. Do I advocate and always shoot that way, nope.

when i was in the corps they taught us to shoot humans at 500yds iron sights.so i would presume that under the right hunting conditions the same cold be matched with a scoped ar on a predator.

I shot a Coyote at 416 yards using a 55 grain v-max. The exit wound was barely the size of a dime even with a v-max. I guess the bullet slowed down so much it failed to function properly, but did it's job nonetheless.

We have a self limit of 300 yards give or take a few. There is no doubt it looses it's authority at that range. The kill zone on a coyote is smaller at that range. Bullet choice can help out too.

Chupathingy
Quote:
What grain bullet?

Thanks for checking on the Springfield scope. Right now, I'm keeping everything simple and using the 55 grain V-max. I figure I'll let experience suggest if I should change weight.

All
If the general concensus is that I should stay inside 200-300 yards, then that gives me a good idea of what kind of scope to look for. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just this past couple years started really understanding optics and what they can do for me. Having said that, if you get a scope with target turrets you may wanna adjust wind and elevation when you see the yote lopin in, which takes time. If you go with somethin simple its easier and can get the shot off quicker.

My reccomendation is go with a scope with a good reticle as mentioned earlier. Mildots or some type of ballistic reticle. Practice ranging with the reticle. Then its simple, range it, know your drops on the reticle, place the appropriate dot or line on the target and squeeze it off.

The important thing is practice. You don't want to be doing all kinds of Math and thinkin when the yote shows.

Anyone see the article in the last Predator Xtreme where the guy was shooting driveway reflectors at night? Thats what I call practice!

Whichever scope you go with, just learn it intimatley. And its just one more excuse to go to the range!

Quote:

If the general concensus is that I should stay inside 200-300 yards, then that gives me a good idea of what kind of scope to look for.

The question isn't really where you should hold your shots up at as a limit but rather where are you seeing the majority of your dogs called into? That should determine your scope as much or more than anything else.

ChiliRojo hit the nail on the head that called coyotes generally show up within 100yds and usually closer.

Quote:
ChiliRojo hit the nail on the head that called coyotes generally show up within 100yds and usually closer.

Don't know where Chili hunts... but for me out here in WA it's more like 200-300 yards when they come to the call. They may come closer, but they're always circling trying to get wind... and they usually won't come inside 200 unless they can't get down wind of your possition.

I hunted coyotes for 7 years with a .223 Ruger mkII that wore a Weaver 3-9. I killed over 100 coyotes with that rifle, but I also lost quite a few. 'Yotes are tough critters when hit poorly (as are all animals), especially with marginal calibers like the .223. Stay inside 300 and you'll be ok, but hit one back a bit and you'll have some tracking to do... regardless of range.

For what it's worth I typically shoot a 6mm Rem at coyotes with either the 55 NBT or the 87 V-Max, depending on the wind situation. ~qb

Quote:
I have only 3 nothches on my gunstock, but all three were 125 yards or less, closest being 40 yards.

Very true, most will be 150 or closer in my experience. I would say 95+ % will be that close. They are few and far between when you take a 200+ yard shot. Usually the only reason you have to shoot one that far away is if they busted you before you bust them and they are not going to come any closer.

Quote:
Quote:
I have only 3 nothches on my gunstock, but all three were 125 yards or less, closest being 40 yards.

Very true, most will be 150 or closer in my experience. I would say 95+ % will be that close. They are few and far between when you take a 200+ yard shot. Usually the only reason you have to shoot one that far away is if they busted you before you bust them and they are not going to come any closer.

I guess they have some stupid azz coyotes in Georgia, you boys need to spend some time out in the sage brush. Take a look at where DaveD is from... have any of y'all ever hunted in WY? I have, a lot (I grew up in northern CO)... and I can tell you this: a .223 is marginal at best for a coyote rifle in Wyoming. Not because it lacks punch (which it does) but because the wind is ALWAYS a factor. It's open country, not Carolina swamps or something like that. ~qb

Last edited:
If you hand load, there are loads that really Beef up a 223.

Using good brass, work up a load of N133 or N135 with a 55g bullet of your choice. You will get almost 3500 fps with extreme accuracy with the 55's in a bolt gun. I love the 55g Sierra Blitz (lead tip) for this load and it grenades a coyote at close range.

I killed two antelope with a 700V in 223 loaded with 24.5g of H322 with a 55g Sierra BTHP at 400 & 450 yards, they dropped like a toilet seat. I have killed two does with the 223 loaded with 26.5g of 748 with a 55g Winchester, they too dropped like a toilet seat at about 100 yards.

When you are talking about distance shooting, many factors come to mind, scope power, also. I would opt for a 3-12 or a 4-16 which would be a huge aid in shooting further distances. I have usually had the time to give the power ring a quick twist to increase power.

There is also a huge amount of difference in a (16")short barrel 223 and a 24" 223 (up to 400 fps), even on 200 yard shots...food for thought. Most of your shots will be within 150 yards, at least in my experience.

Back