223 and Hodgdon Benchmark powder

kelbro

Anybody using Benchmark with their .223s? I tried some with some 53gr and 69 gr Sierras and it seemed to work pretty well. I didn't get a chance to run any over the chrono so I'm not sure if it's faster/slower than my Varget and H335 loads. Do you have better luck with the lighter stuff or the heavier stuff?

I have had very good results with 22.2 grs of Benchmark and the 77gr. Sierra out of a 26" tube. Very low SD and no pressure signs and the charge is not compressed even with this long bullet. velocity runs a little above 2800fps.

I am running 26.1 grains of Bench under a 50 grain V-max moly. New WW brass and WW small rifle primer. I am shooting a Bushy Varminter with 1 in 9 twist. About .6" groups consistently. I just went to 25.5 grains of H335 with great results. Will shoot both this weekend at yotes.

Someone mentioned the temperature issues with 335. I do not know what they are but might find out this weekend.

I have used it and it is a good powder. I found it to be better than Varget for 60gr and lighter bullets as far as speed goes so you should get better velocity.Accuracy wise it was a toss up.H335 is good also although some say its not as clean burning.

You know; some things just "go together", and two of those particular items that do, are the .223 and Winchester 748. This load is tried and true throughout the years,and I still don't know why so many guys play with so many other powders in their .223s?
Quite simply, W748 is the finest powder for .223 loads there is.

i make no claim to be a "pro" on this..for 223..i have used imr-4895..varget..w-748..benchmark..using 50..52..53..& 55 grain bullet's..i prefer benchmark & w-748..these two powder's shot the best from my 223..with a assortment of bullet's from different bullet maker's in the above weight's..good luck..

24.6 gr of Benchmark with a 55gr Dogtown gives me an AVG of 3004 fps out of my Stevens 200 with Win brass and CCI 400. My ES is 10.0 and my SD is 4.2. Groups around .5-.75" @ 100 yds.

Thanks for the feedback. I have lobbed lots of lead with the H335, BLC2, and Varget with good results. I've heard lots of good reports but have never tried W748 since my dealer is usually sold out of it. Must be a good sign /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I got a good deal on 4# of the Benchmark and wanted to give it a try. I have heard often of the low SD and ES that this powder is capable of. I plan to use it with 69s, 75s and 77s at the 300, 500, and 600 yd marks with a new 25" 1:8 Shilen barrel. The ball powders work great with the 53s at 100 and 200 but in my experience, they just won't keep low SDs and ESs consistently enough for long-range stuff.

Tomorrow morning it will be close to freezing when I shoot and it frequently gets over 110 here. The Hodgdon Extreme powders have given me the best performance across the temp spectrum and only needing to go up or down ~.1 grains of powder to keep the groups in check.

Thanks again!

Benchmark has been the favored powder in the 5 .223s I've loaded for. All loads with 50 and 55 gr. bullets, WW cases and primers. With that many different barrels taking a liking to it, I did too.

I used IMR4895 for many years in my 223's with good results, but like most reloaders I'm always trying something new. Well my buddy tried some Benchmark in his 204 and didn't like it, so he gave me the rest of the pound he had bought.
I tried it in my new SPStac behind 55 and 60 V-Max's. I have a 12 twist so I can't speak for the heavier bullets but for this rifle I don't think I'll look any farther.
LTRonthecheap008.jpg

Here's a few 5 shot groups @ 100yrds. I've posted this pic before so I'll try not to wear it out.
But you DID ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Eddie's right. Loading for a 223. So easy a caveman can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back