A few more pics

My apologies for the poor quality pictures. I was worried about my Walker hound jumping out of the truck window when I was trying to take the pictures. However, 24th Coyote and 9th Bobcat.

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

On those sets, I used duck feathers for a visual, and O'Gormans "Long Distance Call". Both were Dirt Hole sets.

Last edited:
Quote:
On those sets, I used duck feathers for a visual, and O'Gormans "Long Distance Call". Both were Dirt Hole sets.

what traps were you using and how do you stake yours down..

BTW, Congrats on all the catches.. Sounds like one heck of a season.

Here's #25. A big male taken 02/06/08 in the KB 5.5 Compound w/ lamiated jaws on a dirthole set. I use 18" cable stakes with "Super Stake" ends for anchors.

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

dirt holes are IMHO the easiest sets to do.. Having something for a backing such as a tree, fence post, clump of grass, an embankment, etc... you dig a hole on an angle about 12" deep(3 or 4" in diameter) and you have your bait or lure in it.. Lure seems best..

Then you have your trap bed in front of the hole about 8" or so..

when the yote or target animal steps on the trap when it goes to search out the smell, it sets off the trap. Trap is of course buried under a layer of dirt to hide the trap, its smell, and so on.. Staking is very important..

We pulled traps today, because I have to have back surgery on Tuesday (Feb.12, 2008). We removed the 26th coyote along with the trap line from this 80 acre contract. She had a long long coat, except where she had mange.

DSC01335.jpg

Good luck with your back surgery, I hope all goes well and a speedy recovery for you. Thanks for all of the info. Your post has been alot of help to those of us that have wondered about trapping. I have looked in on it a few times and kept up with the progress. Hard to believe that many animals on only 80 acres. You are the man.

Back