.204 Ruger Twists rates?

blinddog

I am getting this wild hair to build a rifle in 204 Ruger, Any suggestions on twist would be helpful at this time. Is a 1-12 viable or will the light 30-40 grain bullets do better with a faster twist? 1-9 Maybe? I need some input. Thinking about doing another AR but they are getting pretty simple for me so i amy go back to the bolt action and try finding a barreled action or a Barrel and short action to have headspaced. Any suggestions on that? If I go pre barreled action then the only thing I am doing is stocking and bedding the rifle and choosing a scope and mounts. The AR option I would be doing the whole thing from stripped lower and upper, but I have done that, 243WSSM and 458 Socom(the Socom is still waiting on bolt and barrel) But once thet is done, I will need a new project. I am also thinking about somthing larger .338-06 but that is presenting a few problems just in planning, so may be a future project anyway.
I am at the stage where I am really not im,pressed with off the reach firearms and prefer to build or at least assemble them myself. It is also good therapy since I am retired, from a pretty stress filled occupation.

If you want to shoot the inexpensive bullets from 30 to 40 grains then do the 1-12. This gives you the most shooting, velocity and trejectory for your money and is really the reason the 204 shines.

If you want to shoot the more expensive 45 plus grain bullets then why not simply go a 22-250 where those weight bullets shine. Your getting less velocity by going with a heavy bullet barrel for the 20.

I guess I've never understood why one would sacrifice the velocity and flat shooting ability of bores (caliber's) designed around a certain bullet weight and want to shoot bullet weights that are designed to perform exceptionally well in larger calibers, but that's just me.

I like the way the 204 performs with the 32 to 40 grain Hornedy's and at the prices where bullets are going I will be able to afford to shoot them for some time to come. Feeding the more expensive super heavy for the caliber bullets is not for me and I simply fail to understand what gain they give the flat shooting 204 that simply going to the 22-250 with bullets designed for it won't well exceed.

my 2 cents on heavy bullets.

For the second part of your question if you are the do it yourself type then the Savage is by the far the simplest to do the barrel thing on. You can for little expense play with barrels in any twist rate simply by changing them out yourself.

In the almost 30 years I spent running a small smith business chambering and barreling rifles the tools and expertise needed to barrel actions other than savage or the expense having a smith do the job far exceeds what it costs to work with the Savage action barrel system.

Good luck with your project which ever way you go.

Quote:
I am getting this wild hair to build a rifle in 204 Ruger, Any suggestions on twist would be helpful at this time. Is a 1-12 viable or will the light 30-40 grain bullets do better with a faster twist? 1-9 Maybe? I need some input. Thinking about doing another AR but they are getting pretty simple for me so i amy go back to the bolt action and try finding a barreled action or a Barrel and short action to have headspaced. Any suggestions on that? If I go pre barreled action then the only thing I am doing is stocking and bedding the rifle and choosing a scope and mounts. The AR option I would be doing the whole thing from stripped lower and upper, but I have done that, 243WSSM and 458 Socom(the Socom is still waiting on bolt and barrel) But once thet is done, I will need a new project. I am also thinking about somthing larger .338-06 but that is presenting a few problems just in planning, so may be a future project anyway.
I am at the stage where I am really not im,pressed with off the reach firearms and prefer to build or at least assemble them myself. It is also good therapy since I am retired, from a pretty stress filled occupation.

The 12" twist is very marginal for the Hornady 40gr V-Max.

A lotta guys get poor groups with it, and I spoke to Hornady and they said they would like to see a faster twist for it.

If you want to use that bullet, get a faster twist.

Thanks for the input,to be honest I have used several 22 centerfires over the years and have never been happy with the 223 or the 22-250 to much windrift in the 250 and just not enough of any thing in the 223 thats why my niether of my Ar's is 223/5.56 chambering. When the 204 came out my first thought was. "why not a 22 WMR? but tyhe feed back I have been seeing tells me it is way beyond the 22 Mag. Basicly Iam looking for a rifle that will give some range but not be to hard on pelts especially on Bobcat, and I keep thinking one of these evenings I am going to call in a cougar. Every body around here says no, not in Kansas. But I have seen one in the ten years I have been in this area, lots of bobcat and some of them have left some big paw prints. I used to hunt Mt Lion when I was a young man in AZ. and working cattle, I know they are seldom seen back then we had to use dogs on a fresh kill and run them to ground on horse back. (Try that in the Mogollion Rim Country some time)
I may just go ahead and do another AR anyhow since I feel that the more that are in private hands the less the anti's have to use fear tactics with.

My CZ American 527 in 204 shoots the 40gr vmax very well. If you handload you should ne fine. I agree with IDBOB on the 45gr. If you want to shoot a 45 grainer go with 223/22-250.

The gunsmith that made my .204 upper strongly recommended the 1/12 twist rate for 32-40gr bullets and considers the 45gr marginal (this has been borne out in practice)...the 50gr Bergers require a faster twist. 22" was the minimum barrel length for the 1/12 twist.

Mine handles the 39gr SBKs extremely well.

Old Turtle,
Why is 22" the minimum barrel length for a 1/12 twist. I have a 20" barrel that is a great shooter, with a 1/12 twist and an ultralight profile to boot.

However I must admit it does have a very strong preferance for the 32 gr. hprnady's.

CZ

Back