Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone east of the big muddy hunt with the wind at their back.From what I can gather most hunters hunt with the wind in their face in thick cover?

There certainly is a wealth of knowledge in these replies. Looking then over I see we share a lot in common, most of my techniques have been covered by the previous replies. This is great, when I first started calling a few decades ago I had no tutor. I was on my own in the field. Even today my learning is still in process. Like Mr. Cronk, I use a blown hawk call along with a rabbit sound. Another good sound is a blown crow call, coyotes associate crows with food and safety, a good confidence call.
Most of my hunting is done in the big timbered hardwood forests of the Appalachian highlands of Tennessee. This region contains a varied terrain well suited for coyotes, at the same time the irregular landscape can make it hard for hunters to be successful. When hunting timber, which makes up 95% of my calling areas, shots are usually limited by trees and terrain to about 100 yards or less. Most close encounters come well within 50 yards. I had one excited coyote come from behind me, passing by at five feet. I don’t know which was more surprised me or sir coyote. I would say he probably was as his tail hair is now being used to dress fishing lures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Some of the bits and pieces below may have been previously discussed, if so excuse me for rambling.
I have observed a few things that will cause a coyote to come into a caller… hunger, dominance of territory, hopes of finding a mate and curiosity. Lack of experience with hunters is also a factor but young or unwise coyotes learn fast or else don’t last long. When calling I seldom worry about what type of sound to use. I have a few favorite types and brands of hand calls and tapes that I use the most but I have found almost anything that sounds like a distressed soon-to-be meal will call in coyotes, IF they are hungry. We are lucky, there are a great variety of calls on the market today. We even have some of the best hand call makers right here on the board.
Howlers can be used to fool ol’ Wiley into thinking another coyote is in their area. Other members will need to help here, this is a new tool for me. I am learning how to speak coyote but I often sound like a moose in heat. Coyote pups in distress sounds often peaks their curiosity as can a K-9 or red / gray fox pup in distress although the former can also bring them in looking for a meal.
Wind can also be a factor, if the wind is under 10 mph or so I call into the wind, if it’s 10-20 I like to call with the wind as my scent is dispersed by the strong air currents plus the sound will travel further. Anytime it’s over 20 mph I stay home and reload. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
For me learning to gain a feel for the best set up was one of the most important additions to my bag of tricks (by set up, I mean where I prefer to be located in relation to where the coyote may come from). Notice I use the word may, did I say I’m still learning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This “feel” I can not explain in words, although it is not something magical or mysterious like finding water with a forked stick, the “feel” is something we can all learn by paying special attention detail and not forgetting our past mistakes. Like I have told my hunting partner in the past, it is something that comes with time and experience.
First off I want to go on record as saying…. No setup is perfect! I don’t care how the planets are in alignment, which way the wind is blowing or if you are setting in the middle of coyote central there will always be that day when coyote refuse to come out and play. Then there’s the setup where against all odds, one ol’ coyote comes in from where you are not expecting and busts you. That’s hunting! Been there done that!

And finally the #1 item in my book: Don’t give up!

Rich,
That is a great tip! Sounds really useful, better in certain situations than starting the stand with a howl. For instance, when I think I may stand a chance at calling a bobcat I never begin the stand with a howl, simply starting with low volume distress series. Beginning with the hawk whistle could be a neat way to drag those call shy coyotes into the stand without jeopardizing the chance of calling and not spooking a cat. Maybe if I think a howl could spook young coyotes and cause them to not respond readily for fear of being beaten up on by an old dog, this way could attract both old and young. Good tip.

Terry,
In my case because most often if I see a predator which is responding to the call, it'll certainly be within killing range, I call with the wind in my face and blowing behind me. Most likely when I can first see an approaching predator it'll be less than 100 yards. I always call with the wind in my face. I do this, and then try to make terrain work with me to funnel an approaching animal in my favor. If I can get the wind in my face and my back against a bluff or some similar terrain feature hopefully I can help keep the critter out in front. If I lived in an area that had fields and such, I'd have the field at my back and be facing into the cover to call (with wind in my face). This may cause a sneaky coyote to hesitate to circle and get your scent because he doesn't want to expose himself in the open without cover. A steep draw or gully can be used in much the same way. Saddles, points, spur ridge tops, side hill benches, clearcuts, all can help place a critter right where you want him. Sometimes!

You can use altitude the same way. Let the wind blow your scent on over the top of the ridge away from the cover you hope to get a critter out of. If all is right with the hunting gods that day, you'll be able to arrange all this and even have the sun at your back so the approaching animal has to come in squinting through the light!

I also most often hunt with my Dad and he's my back door man. Dad always covers the downwind side of the stand. Depending upon how thick the cover is, sometimes he'll be actually sitting against the back side of the same tree I'm leaning against, or as far out back as 100 yards. Over the years I've averaged around 65-70% of the kills and Dad has picked up the rest. Most of his kills if I were hunting alone would have gone untouched, probably unnoticed by me! Think about that now would ya!

You can also use your calling tempo to keep a hot trotter on the string. Normally, If I can see a coyote, it's time to shoot and quit calling. Yeah, I may lip squeak a time or two to pull him that last few yards into an open area or away from super heavy cover. I may also whistle or even bark like a dog to try and stop him from circling and getting my scent if I'm on him and know I'll have a good shot. However, if you don't have a shot and stop calling and the coyote quits on you and begins to get fidety, reduce volume and either lip squeak or keep right on calling. Sometimes you have to keep them interested or their natural curiosity and wariness will kick in and they'll want scent verification of the situation and begin to work around you.

This can also be the time for a motion DECOY. I use the Predator Supreme decoy after using just about everything else, including a homemade job I dubbed "FRANKENRABBIT." When the coyote sees the decoy they tend to get locked on that and are giving it at least half their attention. That's half off of you! Many times much more than half. I've had coyotes lock up like a champion bird dog on point at the sight of a decoy, this makes for a nice easy shot BTW. They also don't tend to notice a small bit of movement on your part if you set your decoy up right. I've had coyotes circle the decoy on it's downwind side trying to scent check it. I always try to put my decoy out upwind and out in front of me. When they circle in this way that puts them literally in your lap. I also spritz just a touch of cover scent around the decoy. Red fox urine, rabbit, squirrel, even deer cover scent. Anything the coyote may normally smell will be OK. It's just meant to hold their attention long enough for the shooter to do his job. BTW, don't spritz your decoy itself, you have to handle that thing and keep it somewhere around the house. A little squirt (not too much) on the downwind side of the brush or ground will suffice. I've also had a few coyotes rush the decoy and shooting them was in defense of property!
Another neat thing about the motion decoy is that crows, bluejays, woodpeckers, owls, and hawks will gather over it and add a touch of realism to the stand. Last winter I had a hawk attempt to snatch my Predator Supreme and make off with it!

I hunted with the wind in my face for several years and on some stands I continue to do so.My kill rate went up several times when I started calling down wind.This is the direction 95% of the coyotes come from.

Calling down wind usually makes for a long shot but with shooting sticks a 200-400 yard shot can be easily made.

Terry,
We are talking about thick cover calling right now. If you can see your coyotes when they are 200-300 yards away then you sure ain't hunting thick cover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When I am talking thick cover I mean cover where you have to look for a small clearing to even see fifty yards. In cover like that it would be silly to enter the area with wind at my back. Shucks, there would be no critters there to call because I chased em all off with my scent cone. In really open country like you are thinking of, I call with wind at my back with no problem. In the THICK stuff it is a whole nother ball game.

I usually start my stands making a whimish sounding howl with a Criter Call Pee Wee and then I may make another weak howl with a Primo's howler. Sometimes I wait 3-5 minutes before I start the distress sounds and other times I might start screaming right away. Either way I have had responces and even by red fox, too.
Now here is a scenario for you fella's to help me work out before I acually make the stand. A gentleman is having a problem with a over bold coyote actually coming up into his yard and so far it has bit his dog, eaten his cat and drug off three large domestic geese all with in 20 yards or less from his house. His farm is fairly flat and very open with the house at the highest point. The wheat field to the south was harvested earlier in the year and is now overgrown with weeds. The corn field is about 150 yards to the west and a soybean field starts around 100 yards or less to the southeast. Just before reaching the soybean field is a small pond with the only trees on his property, and not very many, and tall grass. The dirt field road between the wheat and soybean field runs directly toward the south to the lower fence line. Before reaching the southern boundry on this road there is a drainage ditch running east to west on the left of the dirt road. This ditch starts about 300 yards down the dirt road from the pond. As I stated before this is a very open area. This landowner said that this coyote has been seen regularly the past 3 years between 10 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. Many times it is spotted coming out the drainage ditch and walking up the field road past the pond and by the house. Or it is just mousing out in the wheat/weed field. Three weeks ago his BIL used a mouth call while sitting at the pond area. He walked back up the the house and put the gun away and lo and behold the coyote comes walking right up the road. I asked him when was the last time you have seen this dog and he tells me about 3 weeks ago. Hmmm, I wonder why? Anyway, I'm thinking that this may be a hard nut to crack now and am leaning towards puppy whines to lure him out into the open again. I like the hawk scream idea but don't have any calls that make that noise. What is your suggestions. This is one of those call stands I have learned to stay away from because the wood lots are so far away but this time I may have to try to get it to come out in the open with out the usual concealment. Maybe a night hunt is in order.

Terry,
My bad! I thought you were asking about heavy cover. I can't comment on open country calling as I really don't have any experience with it. Sorry, I assumed that. My post mentioned that by the time I can see a coyote it's time to shoot! He's normally well under 100 yards. Sometimes I have to squeak at him to get him closer because at 100 yards the cover is so thick I don't have a clear shot.

Here's a little sumpin'-sumpin' that may add a hide to the stretcher occasionally. After calling and shooting a coyote, don't immediately jump up and beat feet to your prize. There may be another lurking just out of sight that you don't know about. After a shot sit tight and immediately hit the call again with another series of frantic distress cries. Wait a few minutes, then let loose a low volume set of whimpering, plantive type whines. Then quietly watch for about four or five minutes. I do this silent routine after a set-up with a shot or with out. Occasionally a sneaker will come poking around to see what all the fuss was about before. This coyote is too call shy or a subordinate dog that didn't want in all the ruckus when it was hot and heavy. But curiosity kills more than the cat, once in awhile it'll get you a dog too!

Terry, that's what's so great about this sport. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to call. If that country of yours is similar to the ground up around Hopkinsville I can understand your methods. Lots of open ground with little or no cover other than a dip in the fields.

Around here everything is connected with one piece of cover or another. Roads are at most two miles apart and probably as much as forty percent covered in timber or thicket.And worst of all lot's of people.If your not calling the cover your not going to do a lot of good. If there is no other way then I use the wind to cheat a bit. By choosing a site where the wind is blowing at an angle out into a field. I'm not calling directly down wind but am using it to draw them out at a range I feel more comfortable with. They will follow that edge to get the downwind edge on me.If I've played it right I can get them at fifty yards.While I have made a few 400 yard shots my percentage at that distance on coyote's isn't that good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guy's, what Terry is doing is following his gut like Chet said.It's something that comes with time.I can't explain it to you either. It's just something inside that tells me where they are at any time. I guess you could say it's become an instinct.A few minutes looking at that area and I will have a set up in my mind depending on weather and wind at the time.Don't close your mind to any possibilty, try it all.Be willing to make mistakes, that's how we learn.When you make that mistake learn why it was a bad desciscion.You'll begin to develope a few instincts of your own.

Rich I like that idea of the hawk whistle early in the season. Pups of the year are one of the reasons I hold off on using a howler until january.Did you ever try to make that sound with a turkey call?Jimmie

Chris, this is an old dog and has probably already seen or heard most fo what you have to offer except a canine type of sound. Do this one from the pond on a full moon night without a light.Place the tape on the side nearest the ditch.Make sure yoru backed up deep in the shadows with a shotgun. It sounds like this is the only cover available to you where you can see and not be seen so well.

I got stopped by a fellow on the other shift tonight when leaving work. Sounds like a similar deal to yours. He's lost several dogs in the last few months. Found the last one this morning still warm. Poor fellow is sitting in the middle of this animals core area.He's also doing something he shouldn't, self feeding dog feeder out in the open where the coyote's can get to it. I told him to get a bigger dog and I would do what I could with this rascal after deer season when the fur primes.Sounds heartless but a dog this size might accidently bring a few dollars this winter. Jimmie

Close order coyote calling, ya just got'ta love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
We all know when leaves are on the trees during summer and pre-fall they help block sound. I don’t know how you all do it but my stands are usually walk in sites, some may be well over a mile away from the truck. It takes time to get in and set up. Excessive noise caused by two hunters walking in through leaves and brush to get into position is as much of a concern as wind direction. We try to use an old logging road or trail to gain entry but there is not always an easy way. Try to walk softly and hold any talking to a minimum whisper. During our fall and winter months leaves are gone from the foliage and on the ground, then sounds will travel a greater distance. Think about it the next time you are up on a hill or ridge, a noise like a loud barking house dog or truck can be heard from several miles away. When calling from a elevated ridge top or saddle type set up, above a travel lane or funnel, the sound of your call will travel even further with no leaves to block the sound. Coyotes can also hear a lot better with no tree leaves rattling in the breeze. A coyote may be a mile or so away traversing a hollow or ridge, hear your call and decide to come to you. Depending on the disposition and location of the critter, some will run in at full speed while others like to take their own sweet time. During the winter I like to stay on stand and call a little longer than in the summer, an hour or more is not unusual. The extra time also gives them a chance to work into my calling area. If it looks to be a good bobcat site a little extra calling time is also needed.

Hey Jimmie,
It sounds like a house call to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
If there is no good spot to set up or the best area is hard to gain access due to wind direction I would set up on the roof top of the guys house. The rouge coyote is used to the sounds and smells of humans, it is a man made ridge top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just another option....

GC,
Terry was in fact asking about thick cover calling. Here was the original question---Does anyone east of the big muddy hunt with the wind at their back."From what I can gather most hunters hunt with the wind in their face in thick cover?" (end quote). I guess there is some confusion as to what thick cover means to other folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One thing we haven't discussed is time on stand. All of us do it diferently for diferent reasons.I fully understand the reasons behind the run and gun they do out west. Large open areas where they can see or be heard for a mile or more.

In the east we have too many hills and hollows for sound to carry. Add a few thousand trees and a bit of wind in the mix. Sound doesn't carry well here except in the large river and creek bottoms. For these reasons I call thirty minutes or more at each stand. If I've done my scouting well an animal will pass that area during that time and come in.This amount of time gives more oportunity to be heard .

Too add reason to GC's earlier tip. If one comes in quickly to the call continue the stand for the full thirty minutes. I've called in as many as three and taken two by doing this. We know that the family group travels through as a group. If one is moving they are all moving. More than one of them may pass through the area you are calling. That downed dog isn't going anywhwere and doesn't seem to bother any others coming too the set up.Jimmie

Jimmie is exactly right! I have taken as many as three coyotes on same stand that came in one at a time. I have known for a long time that here in western Iowa hills, the coyotes are moving from their night-time hunting areas toward their daytime brushy hangouts from first light until 10:A.M. or so. What this means is that when I first sit down to call in early morning and I know the travel routes, I really could set there in that same spot and call for a couple of hours! Those coyotes that are still on the move may well trot their way close enough to hear my calls at any moment. I do think that it would be wise to use an elevated treestand for these extended calling stands because it cuts down on chances of being busted because of human odor. I don't use that method very much, but by gosh I think that I should! Being limited as to amount of country I have permission to hunt, my time would be better spent sitting in a tree calling coyotes than on my way back home for lunch!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Man, where to start! This stuff is getting really good and with the input of a few more guys, it's great.

Terry & Rich,
I guess thick cover to one may not be all the same to another. I don't know that I've ever seen a coyote at 400 yards. Ever, under any circumstances. I had the opportunity to poke at one a few years ago somewhere around 165 yards. It was chasing sheep and a farmer called in and asked for help. I grabbed my "bugout bag" from the office and countersniper rifle (.308 Remington M700/168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match BTHP) drove out and spotted the old dog from the county highway and put one under this sheep eaters chin from the hood of my Patrol Jeep at a lazered 160+ yards (I've forgotten the exact yardage). Not all that far by some standards, but pretty far for around here. I called one across one of the rare fields in my hunting area and could have shot at it at around 150 yards. I waited until it was about 50 yards out and killed it easily. The interesting thing about that last one was I eased into the edge cover of the field to set up and spotted a doe deer first thing. I was looking at her through the riflescope just for kicks, and noticed the coyote standing just behind her. I sat down and hit the call and in just a matter of seconds he was coming my way. Guess he figured that a wounded rabbit would be an easier meal than an adult healthy deer.

CH1,
I feel your pain as far as walking through the brown crunchy leaves. One of the reasons an old logging trail is nice to have along a ridgetop. Also one of the reasons I like snow! Visibility is certainly aided by the snow cover, but also quiet sneaking in and out of stand sites. Until that snow gets a hard crust on it however, then it can be loud as all get out. But I have to say this about crunchy snow-I don't let it bother me. I go ahead and get in to the set-up area, then sit tight and let things settle down for about ten minutes before I begin calling. Two years ago we had a bunch of snow here. I called several critters in that crunchy stuff, including grey fox and one of, if not the, largest bobcat I've ever seen. In fact, I could hear that cat running toward me, breaking through that crusty snow, long before I could see him. He was on me about eight minutes from start time.

GC,Rich, Terry,and I (I think Chet is getting there) Think in terms of the travel lanes. We haven't really discussed them in detail. They are plaes where most animals travel when they want to get somewhere in a hurry. In every article you read done by an eastern hunter you'll see them mentioned.Creeks, logging roads, farm roads, railroad tracks, hollows,Fencerows, these are the obvious ones every body see's easily.

There are others though that you need to pay attention too.Ever notice that edge of honeysuckle or blackjack oak at the edge of the woods? Inside this edge you find a number of deer trails. Coyote's use these to aproach a call and hunt htere as well. Mice ,other small rodents , rabbits, and song birds ,live in this edge .

Where you have large crop fields with wooded cover running alongside this is a travel lane as well. You'll see these mainly in large river and creek bottoms. I know of one area where a small grass covered levy runs for a mile giving the only cover between woodlots.This levy is only three feet high with the ditch on the uphill side, that ditch is the travel lane.The uphill portion of this area is a heavily grazed pasture.

If your wondering about set up's we're getting there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmie

Jimmie,
When I do finally get there I’ll still be lost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Possible travel lanes are everywhere where I hunt, that is a factor that can be a problem when trying to determine where the coyotes will come from. We try to pick the most likely ones and set up on these. James and I hunt heavily wooded areas, the ground is hard as a rock or else covered with leaves. Finding scat is not a problem but seeing anything that looks like a track can be hard to do. Most of our tracks are spotted on old roads but finding where coyotes are traveling can use up a lot of time scouting the area. Like we talked about at LBL, coyotes use deer trails as much as deer. Without being able to track, we will setup within shooting distance of any hot trails that border thickets.

Chet, this is a subject that should get GC's attention real quick. When talking about areas like you describe you can narrow the search by looking for the small diferences. There's always some kind of change in the cover or terrain that will give you a clue to where they are most likely to travel even without seeing tracks. The more gradual slopes are one thing to look for, they offer easier travel.Deer trails follow these as well.Even if you think the ground is flat as a pancake there is something there that forms a breakline for the animals to travel, just a small swale in the ground is enough.

Changes in the woody cover itself are another. For instance where you have a clearcut bordered by big timber left uncut.Even if this clear cut is many years old it still creates that subtle breakline in the cover.In the river bottoms canebrakes cause this breakline even in big timber. The cane will run for hundreds of yards alngside an oxbow lake or stream bed. Small game uses these canebrakes for food and cover.Turkeys nest in the brakes as well.Jimmie

Rich I am sorry I did not understand the topic was limited to hunting the thick stuff.

Reading what I typed a few days ago it was not plain.

What I wanted to say was does anyone hunt more open land or only the thick stuff and do you hunt at all with the wind at your back in open land.

Terry,
That is ok sir, no big problem. It was just a misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing that up though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When I call the rolling pasture ground in north texas where the grass is short and I can see for a long long ways, I often call from high on a hillside with wind at my back. Calling the thick stuff is a really different game, and I cheat a lot back in there myself. You guessed it, I use an electronic caller placed cross-wind of my hidey hole quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back