CONGRATS BOTH LAWS PASSED...LINK POSTED..5/18/08

STUMP49

ALL UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.................

It worked so good on the E-caller law so I decided to try again.

I met with my rep on changing these two laws today and it looks good so far.

I will know more after the 3rd of Jan. I will keep you posted.

97B.041 POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION RESTRICTED IN DEER
ZONES.
A person may not possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the period beginning the
fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after the close of the season
within an area where deer may be taken by a firearm, except:
(1) during the open season and in an area where big game may be taken, a firearm and
ammunition authorized for taking big game in that area may be used to take big game in that area
if the person has a valid big game license in possession;
(2) an unloaded firearm that is in a case or in a closed trunk of a motor vehicle;
(3) a shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller diameter lead shot or steel shot;

(4) a handgun or rifle and only short, long, and long rifle cartridges that are caliber of .22
inches;

(4) A HANDGUN OR RIFLE RIMFIRE ONLY .17MACH2, .17HMR .22,SHORT, LONG, AND LONG RIFLE AND 22MAGNUM.

(5) handguns possessed by a person authorized to carry a handgun under sections 624.714
and 624.715 for the purpose authorized; and
(6) on a target range operated under a permit from the commissioner.
This section does not apply during an open firearms season in an area where deer may be
taken only by muzzleloader, except that muzzleloading firearms lawful for the taking of deer may
be possessed only by persons with a valid license to take deer by muzzleloader during that season.

97B.621 RACCOONS.
Subdivision 1. Season. The statewide open season for raccoon may be set by the
commissioner.
Subd. 2. Period for treeing raccoons. Notwithstanding subdivision 1 and section 97B.005,
subdivision 1 , a person may use dogs to pursue and tree raccoons without killing or capturing the
raccoons during the closed season and a license is not required.
Subd. 3. Nighttime hunting restrictions. To take raccoons between sunset and sunrise,
a person:
(1) must be on foot;
(2) may use an artificial light only if hunting with dogs;

(3) may not use a rifle other than one of a .22 inch caliber with .22 short, long, or long
rifle, rimfire ammunition; and

(3)MAY USE HANDGUN OR RIFLE RIMFIRE ONLY .17MACH2, .17HMR, 22 SHORT, LONG,AND LONG RIFLE, AND 22 MAGNUM.

(4) may not use shotgun shells with larger than No. 4 shot.
Subd. 4. Prohibited methods of taking. A person may not take a raccoon:
(1) in a den or hollow tree;
(2) by cutting down a tree occupied by raccoon; or
(3) by setting fire to a tree or using smoke.
----------------------------------------------------------

1/12/2008 update

Looks like my rep is setting up a meeting with Rep Dill.

as soon as I get any thing I will post

1/23/2008 update

Senator Sheran and I have spoken about your proposal. I have sent the bill to be drafted. I have also visited with Representative Dill. he intends to do some further research on the power of the bullets that you are proposing. He indicated that the caliber by itself wasn't sufficient information. He is definitely willing to take a look at it and I will be dropping a copy of your materials off at his desk tomorrow. I will also copy them for Senator Sheran. I hope to visit with Rep Dill again next week and will get a more detailed list of his concerns. That's my current progress report, Kathy
------------------------------------------------------------
Feb/15/2008
Got a call the bills have been jacketed and will be going to committee and getting numbered. I will know more by late next week. I was told these bills are causing quit a stir up there. I will fill eveyone in as I get it.....stump

UPDATE 02/26/2008

I went to the capital yesterday 02/25/2008 and this is what is going on.

OF THE PEOPLE THAT SPOKE

Rep David Dill he is the House chair person he is undecided

Rep Tony Cornish is against bill HF.3219, but will go with the committee.

Rep Dean Simpsom is undecided bill HF.3219

Rep Tom Hackbarth Is for Bill HF.3219

DNR is neither for or againest.

MN deer association is for bill HF.3219

Rep McNamara is leaning our way..bill HF.3219

Its time for everyone to send letters to there legislators
to get behind bill HF.3219

Right now the bill was set aside for inclsion into the omnibus bill.

Here is what made me very upset......

Tony Cornish listed the months of ,oct,dec,jan,feb, and , and left out nov. Tony said we could give up the 22 days and not hunt predators with all the other time we had....

In my statement to the commmittee.

Another question you may ask is why do you have to hunt
predators during the deer season,and not deer.

I will answer that
1. The DNR has put out hunting seasons in which we can hunt
and it happens that the fur bearing hunting season runs along
with the deer season.

2. I have paid for a license which allows me to hunt predators

3. I want to not eveyone wants to deer hunt.

Rep Dean Simpsom doesnt want what he calls a hot round in the field during the deer season.

Lets get those letters out to our reps and let them know we want Bill HF.3219 to pass

Bill HF.3219 give us the right to use the 22 mag,.17HMR, and the 17mach2 during the deer season.

This also was brought to my attention.
People hunting in the rifle zone can use there deer rifles to hunt predators,while the hunter in the sluggun zone can only use shotgun or 22s. Pretty unfair huh.

Any thing else that comes up I will post it...Lets get those letters going.

NEW INFO 02/29/2008
The senate now as a bill # which is SF.3014
So now it time to contact your senator to vote yes for this bill.
It might be good to ask them to encourage other senators on the environment and natural resources committee to support the bill.

ALSO JUST RECIEVED THIS...
I just received word that HF 3219 will be included in the House DNR Omnibus bill.

So let go guys we need these laws changed.

MARCH3/3/2008

Went to the capital today for the senate hearing. I found this to be very interesting. I find that the biggest problem is going to be Senator Chaudhary the senate chair. They want to review it in three years to see if there is more poaching. We all know there is no way to do that because there is no data to prove or disprove.

Get in touch with your senators and tell them to pass Bill SF.3014 as is. I think this bill may pass, but we have to keep after these guys.

Please take the time and drop your senator a email stasting to pass bill SF.3014 the way it was written. In advance thats for your help.....stump

VIDEO LINK FOR SENATE HEARNING.
If you dove hunt you may want to watch the first half.
to watch my testimony take the slider and move it to 3:52 thats where it starts....stump

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/media/...pe=video#header

Last edited:
hey stump, i am very appreciative that you are doing this. if i might make a suggestion to the coon reg. it should be open to a guy calling at night with a light just like fox and yotes are. just my thoughts. thanks again for all your work up there in the capital.

Quote:
hey stump, i am very appreciative that you are doing this. if i might make a suggestion to the coon reg. it should be open to a guy calling at night with a light just like fox and yotes are. just my thoughts. thanks again for all your work up there in the capital.

Only problem is that our good friend at the capital, Tony Cornish, has some sort of affection for raccoons. I had initially included them into the light bill but he refused saying they would be either hibernating or breeding and we should leave them alone in both cases.... Interesting, isn't it?

Go get 'em Stump!

MNHNTR
Sorry but I miss read your post before I PMd ya...

What Randy said....I just want to get the use of the .17 mach2, .17HMR and the 22 magnum. You start throwing other crap in the mix then you have problems.....stump

STUMP49,

Let us know if and when we could/should contact our own legislators on this. I have looked at that very reg, wishing exactly what you have proposed.

I would ask you also about when coyote hunting at night with an artificial light, why is it only a shotgun that is allowed. and no rifle?

Dave

The only way Randy could get the light bill passed was shotgun only, and that is the only way they would pass it.. I know it sounds stupid because you can hunt at night with a rifle but by moonlight only. My own personal throught on this is it had to do with shining deer.

I will keep everyone informed on whats happening.....stump

Whats your reasoning behind this?

All the calibers you listed except for possibly the .22Mag are too small for coyotes. I can see it for coons, but don't want a bunch of guys out there thinking that these are okay choices for coyotes.

Tim

Quote:
Whats your reasoning behind this?

Very simple I and others want to be able to carry something other than a .22 or shotgun during the deer season.

Also wanted something alittle bigger to shoot coons.

You had to change both laws to read the same so you could do this........

As far as coyotes people are using what ever they want now anyway. Most people that hunt coyotes are using .17REM and up to hunt them. So I really dont see a problem here......stump

In my opinion, the .17HMR and the .22 mag are a lot better choices then the only other legal alternatives we get to use currently, during the "5 days before and 2 days after periods" as stated in the deer season firearms restrictions.
I think it's a great idea, especially considering that Rep. Cornish and Sen. Chaudary have already told me they would be dead set against allowing the small bore centerfires to be used during these periods.
It's a good, but not a perfect compromise, that will help other small game hunters too.
I'd rather have a .17HMR or a .22 mag in my hands then my little .22LR when I'm out calling coyotes the week before deer season!
You can count on my support!

I don't think this helps prevent deer from being taken out of season. Isn't that the purpose for this law?

It only keeps law abiding people from doing what they normally do, hunt within the law. It keeps us out of the woods/fields. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good Luck, I wish you success. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif -Ron

Hunter00, that is exactly the reason behind the current law! To keep the deer poaching "crimes of opportunity" to a minimum by restricting everybody.

I hate to be the bad guy here, but sometimes the hunting community has to give a little here to protect some there. The law makes it a lot easier to prosecute poachers. That is the real deal and if you don't think poaching at night or before or after the season isn't a problem you may need to really think about it.
I have friends who have witnessed it on their private land, I know people who have been busted for it, and I have seen the decline in nice bucks (150"+) in my deer zone. I know who the CO is looking for. And I give him any relevant info I have on him.

What else can I do?

Everyone probably knows someone who has a deer camp up north and they take a "camp" deer to eat while they are there. Poaching is real and it is a problem. Just ask your friendly conservation officer.

Seven days or protect OUR resources from theives?

Allowing the 17 hmr or 17mach2 is fine with me but I would draw the line at centerfires

KH

Last edited:
You can give all you want, KH. I have never poached a deer. Why am I being punished? Why not make the punishment really extreme for those who do break the law? Put a $5,000 fine on poaching and take that money and put it directly into more CO's. I'd be all for that. That way if the poachers want to play, then they have to be willing to pay.

That's exactly like saying the concealed carry law is wrong because now how do the cops know who the good guy is vs. the bad guy? That exact argument was used against getting the law passed. We don't HAVE to give up some things in order to get other things.

Think about it.

I have read the reg's book several times in the past. I must have missed this every time. It is frustrating to realize all the rights we give up(willingly or not) for the greater good.

It still breaks down to taking rights from law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care about the law, or they wouldn't be criminals. I can see the logic of making it easier for CO to protect wildlife. I would be curious to see how many times this is charged or prosecuted in a year. I would guess it is rare.

I've been in law enforcement for about 9 years. That experience tells me a CO watching suspected poachers is going to get them for shooting from a vehicle, spotlighting game, taking game out of season, or another violation that could be observed from a distance. This violation would, most likely, be applied after a stop for something else and likely dropped as a lesser charge.

As I stated before, I can see the logic in this law, but does it prevent any game from being poached? I have my doubts. Just more erosion of our rights.

Good luck, -Ron

KH,

I could debate this with you until we are both blue in the face. I see holes in all of your comments. And, believe me, I'm not calling you a "dirty liberal." But, you do come off sounding pretty liberal! Some of my best friends are liberals and I don't hold it against them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know exactly what you are saying in your arguments. But, I disagree with almost everything you say.

The one comment I want to respond to is where you ask to talk to any CO about it. Personally I don't give a rat's backside what they think about it. My life and hunting is not all about making their jobs easier. I've got what I consider a pretty good friend who's a CO and I don't care if he has to work a bit harder to make his case on poachers. A retired warden who worked my area said it best when I asked him for his opinion on hunting predators with lights. He said it wasn't up to him to give opinons on laws, his job was to enforce the laws that exist. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, I don't believe poachers are held back by not being able to have their rifle in the woods for those seven days. I believe that they will feel free to shoot a trophy buck in the head with a .22LR or in the chest with a 30-06 if that's what they want to do. Now, just because I could carry my centerfire rifle during those seven days is not going to make a poacher out of me.

My two cents

Back