Differences between SBE and SBE II ?

N_Georgia

I know they added the comfort(something) to the stocks but what are the other differences. After going duck hunting today with a friend and watching him submerge his SBE several times and it still work flawlessly, I want one. I spent most of the day just trying not to get my browning wet and then I had to come straight home and get the slop out of every nook and cranny.

Like stated above, very good guns both, for a few hundred higher than others non-inertia operated. The recoil-reducing stock set-up, the crio treatment, the chokes have changed a bit, the ergonomics/looks was changed some too, and a few other things. The new ones are pretty salty, but it depends on how you look at things, and how much you'll use them, like any good tool. I love Benelli's - lite to carry all day (I usually carry MUCH more than I shoot!), adjustable fit/stock shims for comb, toe and stock cant and fit, 5 chokes rather than 3, etc.

I have one for sale if your interested, PM me.

I guess one could look at the whole sport of hunting as overpriced, but nutt-up and buy the best gun made. I'd rather spend more cash, then end up buying three pieces of crap guns, just to realize that the Benelli is the best!

After borrowing my dad's SBE I as much as possible, I purchased by own SBE II when they came out. I have shot both of them with various loads to try and determine if there was much of a difference between the two in the amount of felt recoil. I have been unable to tell much of a difference.

A few things I have noticed about the II is that I like are the larger trigger guard when I am wearing gloves, and I like the High Rib that my SBE II has over the low rib on my dad's SBE I.

Also as mentioned the SBE II has the CRIO+ Barrel and longer Choke tubes.

Mechanically both guns are pretty much the same, and both have cycled lots of rounds and have worked flawless in very rough conditions.

Benelli is the only way to go!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Yeah the sbe models are spendy I went with the M2 when it first came out and love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I don't have the need for 3 1/2 don't goose hunt And I like to shoot doves and a little trap. I have been told that the sbe has a tough time cycling with light 7 1/2 and 8 loads so if you don't have to have 3 1/2 then there are some cheaper models. Just my .02

What ever you decide you wont be disapointed in benelli. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

SBR's shot low for most folks...Hence the high rib on the SBE2. The biggest diff. is the SBE2 will not do the famous "Benelli Shuffle"... On the old guns you could hide a shell on the carrier and the gun would feed it. Thus, a gun properly plugged to hold two shells in the magazine would hold a total of 4 shells and feed them all. The USFWS asked for the change. The new guns are not nearly as popular with waterfowl hunters as the old ones. It is a common practice now to buy a new gun and install the bolt out of an old one, then sell the old gun with the new bolt. You will find many old guns on dealers racks that will only shoot 3 times! Imiagine! The idea of being legal and able to cheat sold many SBE's in Arkansas. They even began to call them "The Arkansas Purdy"

Original design of the Benelli did allow ghosting a round on top of the shell carrier. It is a great design that offered the tactical models many advantages in ready carry mode, quick changing of loads, and an additional shell in overall capacity. Both the M1 and the SBE had this feature. I have an M1 that will allow this.

Then there was a redesign and even in the older M1 and SBE were changed so they would not allow the ghosting of that extra hitchhiker shell on the carrier. This happened before the overall design change to the M2 and SBEII versions came out. I also have another later model M1 that will not allow the extra shell on the carrier.

It's all about an angle on the bottom of the bolt and can be changed with a dremel easily. The factory remodel actually occured before the release of the new M2/SBEII. So it is entirely possible to find an older Benelli that will not ghost a round. Generally, if the gun has a small round safety it has the older bolt design and will ghost an extra round. If the gun has a slightly larger triangular safety most likely it has the new design bolt.

I will brag on my Beneli's also. I have the older "4 shot" M1 and an older SBE 1. Both are fine pieces of weaponry. The M1 seems to get more time in the field. I just don't have the need for 3.5 inchers very often. The M1 looks like it has been tied to the hitch of the truck and dragged down the road for a few miles. Still gobbles up any shell I feed it and asks for more. In fact, it stays very hungry.

Seriously, I have been in a duck blind on may occasions and watched all kinds of shotguns display all kind of problems. So far, my benellis just keep shooting.

Most of the old time duck hunters that I grew up with thought that the Browning A5 was the gold standard of waterfowling guns. Everyone back in the day swore that the A5's kicked a little harder, they didn't like the hump back, they were more expensive, and weren't the prettiest gun available, but they all agreed that they were the most reliable shotgun ever made. For hardcore duck hunters, reliability ranks above all. If you want reliability in a shotgun today, you spend a few extra bucks and get a benelli. If you want something pretty or something that claims it has less recoil, take your pick. They are all pretty decent if you treat them well.

Quote:
Benelli is the only way to go!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I have been told that the sbe has a tough time cycling with light 7 1/2 and 8 loads so if you don't have to have 3 1/2 then there are some cheaper models. Just my .02
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have heard people say that about the SBE's, and I'm pretty sure there is a "lighter" spring available from Benelli which is to be used if you only shoot lighter loads, but I can say I've shot hundreds of rounds of 2 3/4" trap loads, including one day where I put over 300 rounds of light trap loads though it, and have never had a problem, jam, or misfeed using 2 3/4" 8 shot shells. I use 3 1/2" for Ducks, Geese and Coyote, 3" for Pheasant, and 2 3/4" for grouse and have never had a problem switching between loads, I can only think of about 2 times I have ever had a shell fail to eject properly and those times were in some pretty harsh conditions.

Maybe the people who have problems experience them before the spring is broken in? I guess there must be something to it if they make the different springs though?

My Dad's sbe2 wouldn't cycle really light handloads I think they were only 7/8 ounce when he first got the gun. He shot some heavier loads and then the handloads worked. He shot all the handloads since somebody gave them to him. Now had has shots a bunch of factory 1 ounce loads without a problem.

the real differnce is the comforttech stock, and to me it makes a pretty good difference. my brother has a Franchi I-12 and my father has an M-2, the m2 has comforttech and the franchi doesnt, i much prefer the m2. and then i just got a cordoba for graduation and that tops all, muzzle porting, comfortech the works. i can tell a slight difference in all three, but all shoot really well. i believe the stoeger is a variant off the m2

Quote:
Quote:

I have been told that the sbe has a tough time cycling with light 7 1/2 and 8 loads so if you don't have to have 3 1/2 then there are some cheaper models. Just my .02
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have heard people say that about the SBE's, and I'm pretty sure there is a "lighter" spring available from Benelli which is to be used if you only shoot lighter loads, but I can say I've shot hundreds of rounds of 2 3/4" trap loads, including one day where I put over 300 rounds of light trap loads though it, and have never had a problem, jam, or misfeed using 2 3/4" 8 shot shells. I use 3 1/2" for Ducks, Geese and Coyote, 3" for Pheasant, and 2 3/4" for grouse and have never had a problem switching between loads, I can only think of about 2 times I have ever had a shell fail to eject properly and those times were in some pretty harsh conditions.

Maybe the people who have problems experience them before the spring is broken in? I guess there must be something to it if they make the different springs though?

Maybe just rumor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

don't know for sure don't have a sbe 1 or 2

Back