tikka vs cz

skeetlee

i have been looking for a 243. i have been looking pretty hard at either the tikka t3 hunter or a cz 550 in 243. i think they are both fine guns. just hoping to get your opinions on these two rifles. thanks lee

just type in tikka and do a search. I think you will be surprised at how many of us own tikkas. Not there is anything wrong with the cz but i will take a tikka everytime.

I have the CZ550 in .243. Depends on what you fancy...Can't go wrong with either really. However, if you want a beefy gun made of all steel, feeds well and is accurate, the CZ will fill the bill. The older CZs (mine is one of them) have the club of a stock which I don't care for due to its heft. However, CZ is making some really pretty stocks these days that are more slim. The actions on the CZ are forged steel which I like. The CZ comes with a set trigger which breaks at around 12-16oz. Unset, mine breaks at 3.5 lbs.

As for the Tikka, you get a super accurate gun that feeds excellent as well but has a plastic magazine and a plastic triggerguard.

Lastly, the one oddity I don't like about the CZ is that the 550s come in one action (unless magnum) for anything from .243-.30-06. Therefore, the .243 is a long action with a magazine. I wish it was a short action but it's not. Therefore, the best caliber in my opinion to go with should you go CZ550 is the 6.5x55. Kicks like a .243 and lets you take advantage of the long action.

Different type actions, triggers, and safeties. Both quality rifles as I own models of each. Most folks don't like the safety of the CZ as it is backwards from what Americans are use to. Another dislike of the CZ is the bolt in reference to the scope when mounted. Some models will hit the bolt when working the action. I have not had this problem.

My CZ rifles have really nice wood on them. Set triggers come standard and they are really good. Tikka is more of a plain Jane Sako in a manner of speaking. As far as accuracy goes both shoot really well too! However, my experience is with the 527 models not the 550's. Believe it is a matter of preference of the shooter. I would say handle both of them and see which one fits you better.

I'll agree that the Tikka comes with a plastic trigger guard, and an ugly plastic stock. But the action is smooth as glass................

.....and it shoots ONE RAGGED HOLE if I haven't drank too much coffee.

Never fired a CZ, but if it shot better than my Tikka, I don't think I could stand the pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Different type actions, triggers, and safeties. Both quality rifles as I own models of each. Most folks don't like the safety of the CZ as it is backwards from what Americans are use to. Another dislike of the CZ is the bolt in reference to the scope when mounted. Some models will hit the bolt when working the action. I have not had this problem.

My CZ rifles have really nice wood on them. Set triggers come standard and they are really good. Tikka is more of a plain Jane Sako in a manner of speaking. As far as accuracy goes both shoot really well too! However, my experience is with the 527 models not the 550's. Believe it is a matter of preference of the shooter. I would say handle both of them and see which one fits you better.

Steve ,
I may be mistaken but I don't think the safety's are backwards on the 550's . At least I thought I read that somewhere .
They are on the 527's and the 452's though . (I have these models)

If you dont like the plastic stock on the tikka buy a wood model.

I like the CZ in 243 a friend bought one about the same time i bought my tikka lite I didnt care for the bulk of the 550 kinda heavy for a carry gun for deer hunting.

Best advise like others have stated is to handle them and see what feels best to you and rember to take a look at a wooden stock tikka if you get a chance.

Just the clarify...The CZ has the backwards safety on the 452 and 527 models. However, the safety works just like a Remington on the 550s....Push forward to fire.

I agree with the recommendation to "fondle" them first.
I was a happy Tikka owner, but had heard all kinds of
glowing praise for CZ. So when it came time for another
small bore, I went out looking for a CZ 527. I fondled
one, and well I came away less than impressed. I am not
a huge fan of the Mauser action, and the couple I looked
at had a fairly stiff Mauser action. I liked the set
trigger, but the rest of the rifle felt "clunky", and
pretty rough, to me. The "backwards" safety wasn't a
big deal, and wouldn't have bothered me, if I really liked
the rifle. Since then I have wandered back to the CZ
section of rifles, but nothing I have seen there would
have me purchasing one over a Tikka. IMHO.

My T-3 223 Rem. matched my best group, which was .16 MOA,
for a three shot group. Both the Tikka, and an AR-15,
by RRA, hold my personal best(.16 MOA) 3 shot group.
Granted the moon and stars aligned, and the wind was calm,
but until my Tikka's give me reason to look elswhere for
accurate rifles, I will stick with them. And the factory
trigger is so good on them, I don't think I need a set
trigger.

Squeeze

We have had both side by side. I was impressed by how well both shot with great triggers out of the box. However that was where it ended. The CZ527 safety was confusing and could not be automatic for me. I had to hire help to get rounds chambered and finally just loaded single by hand to finish the test. There was nearly zero clearance between the bolt and scope which I thought was high anyway. The clip protruded enough to cause grief. It did have a nice trigger.
When I returned it, the gunshop knew every reason why and took the extra time to show me why the safety worked backwards. As it was demonstrated by the Rep to them it was originally designed as a training rifle safety. In demo it is shown how the hand naturally moves pressure away from the trigger when working the safety.
The Tikka however worked mechanically to my liking Shooting equally as well with no hitches. It had a very smooth action and trigger with a nice magazine that feeds so well I often had to check to make sure it had loaded. Some claim problems with the factory rings screws but we have had no problems. You will be hard pressed to find bad words about Tikka's except buying too many. Some scoff at the plastic but other gun makers have been making use of it in very popular guns for 40 or more years. For around $500 this is a true performer in all categories.

Quote:
I own both and wish I had bought my 243 from Tikka. The CZ does look prettier!

I have very recent CZ 527 Americans in .223 and .204 and just got a Tikka T3 Lite in .243. They are both excellent rifles for the $$$, but If I had it to do over all three would be Tikkas. The Tikka has the best trigger I own including the Savage Accutriggers and the Timney I just installed in a Howa/Houge .22-250. I agree that the CZs are prettier but that is where it ends. I have one with a very nice walnut stock and the other is a brown laminate. Hate the fact that you have to used high rings on the CZ to keep the bolt from hitting many scopes.

Go Tikka before they are "discovered" by the masses and the price doubles.

SteveH.

Back