Savage 12FV 22-250 loads

mudgger

Any one got a good load for coyotes? My son in law just bought a Savage 12FV in 22-250 with a 26" barrel, 1 in 12" twist and is coming up over christmas to hunt some yotes. I would like to spend more time hunting and less time working up loads but I'am not sure where to start I would be Eternally greatfull for any help

Hi,
I find that the Savage 12 series of action in 22-250 has a realy tight chamber. As such, I get to max pressure well before the recommended max loads. My max load is 34.3gr of ADI AR2208 over 55gr BK, with Nosler brass and Fed 210GM primers.

One very strong suggestion I would make is to NEVER use a load you read over the net. Always back off by 10% from the max book load and work up the load. If you don't have time to work aload up, then buy some factory stuff.

Enjoy your hunting

Happy Hunter, are right in your statement to work up to a max load!

In your case, I think that the lot# of powder that you currently have is probably 5-10% hotter than the lot# that they used in establishing a Max load for the book, which is another reason to use some common sense in approaching Max loads.

Reloading manuals are just an indication of what a maximum load is in the worst cases whether it be -125* or +125*, minus what the lawyers think is a margin of error to protect them in a lawsuit.

No doubt, that you may have a bore that is undersize that may lead to much higher pressures which would also be evidenced by more copper fouling.

What happened to you does not happen that often, but it does happen, none the less!

If 8208 is Varget, I ran into the same problem with my previous 22/250, with higher pressures than what the book indicated was Max...I realize that the book is only a guide. The reloading manual can not tell me what is a Max load for my rifle, only I can.

I have seen instances where the lot# of powder is 9.0g off on what is a max load for my rifle because that particular lot # is VERY slow as seen by shooting across an OHler 35P
Chronograph.

It seems to bear witness that the slower the burning rate of the powder, the greater the potential for a margin of error in what is a max load for your rifle.

I have a FVSS Model 12 that loves hornady 52 grainers, with 37.0 grains of varget with cci primers. with this if there is no wind and I am doing my part I can get 0.3" groups at 100 yrds. Hope this helps.

I had not intended to use a load verbatim but use bullet wt.and powder combinations that others with this gun have been Successful and then using the book to work up a load.
Its makes sense to me if certian bullet wts. and powders worked well for others it would be reasonable guideline to start with. Am I wrong on this?

Muddger,
Most people will say that the ideal weight for a 22-250 is 55gr. The Savage 22-250 has a faster twist (1:12) than most (1:14). That means it can throw a heavier pill if you want to. Personaly, I stick with the 55gr Blitz King. Great BC of .271, tons of pace at 3650fps and hits hard. I use Nosler brass 'cause there is much less case prep required for a standard chamber, there is more brass and its good brass. I use Fed 210GM primers because there ARE more accurate (tested and done). I use Aussie ADI powder 'cause thats where I am and it is brilliant powder for temp variance and batch tobatch stability.

My 2c worth

Thanks Happy Hunter thats pertty much what I wanted to know. I'll start with the 55gr and may be a few 60gr and not waste time on the lighter stuff.
thanks again

Mudgger,
Good luck and happy hunting.

Ackleyman,
I have been using 2208 for a while now and after thre batches I have found the same thing. The high pressure signs are the same for each batch. I just have a genuine low powder using chamber. That's the good thing about ADI powders - consistancy. They are the same from batch to batch and either high or low temp.

We have had very good accuracy with SR4064, the Fed 210M primer and the Nosler 55 grain BT. Velocities are in the 3650 fps. range, plus or minus 50 fps., depending on the rifle, and accuracy is excellent.

Back