17HMR vs 22 Mag for fox?

Encore.204

This gun will be used for fox hunting and possibly an occaisonal coyote. I already know that the gun will be a Savage SS with laminated thumbhole stock but not sure what cal to get.Need some opinions please.
Thanks
Ken

the 17 HMR will probably be more accurate .(in my opinion) With well placed shots at reasonable distances , either should work for Fox .

Do a search, this has been beaten to death. 22 Mag is the better of the two for fox. The 17 will work most of the time but the 22 mag will everytime providing decent shot placement. You will be undergunned with the 17 if a yote shows up also while the 22 mag will work as long as you keep it under 75 yards and use decent shot placement IMO.

The 17HMR will surprise you and way out perform the 22 mag. I have two identical rugers, 77/22mags and 77/17MMR. The 77/17 has become my go to rifle for fox and coon. I consider it to light for coyote and bobcat unles under 75 yards and that is all I have at the time. I have taken a 150 pound feral hog with it. I have a confirmed by rangefinder 247 yard kill with it and I have never killed anything near that far with a 22 magnum. They are super accurate and the 17 grain bullet moves at almost 2600 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
22 Mag is the better of the two for fox. The 17 will work most of the time but the 22 mag will everytime providing decent shot placement. You will be undergunned with the 17 if a yote shows up also while the 22 mag will work as long as you keep it under 75 yards and use decent shot placement IMO.

Well said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You might want to read the following tests at this link as they are quite extensive and well done.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

I find many that most that favor the 22 magnum have not shot the 17HMR under many conditions in the field. I also was slow to convert. I have tested both calibers side by side on extended prairie dog shoots and also hunting predators in South Texas. The 17 HMR has outperformed the 22 mag in accuracy, flatness, penetration and killing ability numerous times for me. I shoot both and have a choice when I go to the gun safe. The 17HMR goes with me a lot more than the 22 Magnum. If you really put them to the test side by side I think you will find the same. JMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do a search, the topic has been beat to death. The 17HMR is good for treerats only in my opinion. I know lots of guys who had them and ended up selling them due to critters running off after being shot. The 22mag isn't as accurate but will anchor a fox much better. Kind of light for coyote though.

Hands down, I think the 17HMR far out performs the 22 mag in every situation, accuracy,velocity, killing power and flatness of trajectory. For fox, I don't think you can loose going with the HMR. Ive killed a couple dozen coyotes with the 17HMR, and most of them were killed quite neatly, but it is obviously light for the job.
The maggie just doesn't have enough steam to reliably do what the 17HMR will do consistently. A 22 mag, will many times just "pencil" thru an animals vitals without disrupting them like the HMR will do. The 17HMR acts more like a conventional rifle cartridge, small yes, but still has the velocity to cause some major hydrostatic damage.

Check out federal's ballistics tables. I think that the .17 has almost as much energy as a .22 mag, is much faster, and shoots a whole lot flatter. It'll have plenty for fox. It blows right through these big jackrabbits out here, it'll kill a fox real well. I shot a turkey in Wyoming with it this fall, and it knocked the snot out of it. I really like that gun, it is a savage too.

Do You reload??
If so get a hornet or a 17 fireball.Cheaper to shoot in the long run..and will perform better than the wmr or hmr.
If you don't reload than either of those two should be fine.
under 75 yrds. If you are not concerned about fur get something bigger and more definite.

Encore.204

I have both 22mag Marlin & 17 HMR bull barrel bolt Marlin. I love the 17HMR & take it in the woods all the time. The ammo selection is better (Hornady ballistic tip & CCI HP). I shoot the CCI's and they are very impressive both in accuracy & kills. I bought it mainly for hunting in Fla Management aress to hunt yotes in small game season(shotgun & rimfire only allowed). My 22 mag now stays in the safe. The 17HMR is a Awesome little gun! Read the Varmint Al page listed above, it is very good info.

But...I must say that a larger round (.223) is the way to go. The 17HMR not a centerfire!

CTR

I have shot hundreds of woodchucks with both calibers. Fox are the same size and easier to anchor than Woodchucks IMO.

I have shot enough Fox with a 22mag also.

IMO- There is no differance between the two and both are fine for Fox. There is not one shot I feel with the same P.O.I. & bullet style that one would anchor a fox and the other would not.

Either/Or........ take your pick.

Back