Two this morning.

d2admin

Administrator
I went out for a little session of callin this morning. I decided that I would do a little scouting in some new country and try to find a few good stands. First thing off the bat I jumped the freeway fence and wandered off down a ridge just before sunrise. About 5 minutes into the call I see a yote loping off a ridge across a little canyon. I had the remote set out with a decoy that I made up using a fox hide and one of those "MOTO MAGNETS" like Critr uses for "Fluffy".

Funny thing, I waited to see how far in he would come if I left well enough alone. I had the speaker in a greasewood bush about 20 feet from the decoy. This coyote never even once looked at the speaker! He ran right up to about 14 feet from the decoy and just got this dumfounded look on his face. Thats about as long as I could hold out.

Had quite a few dry stands after that until one popped his head over some bushes about 20 seconds into the call. He was a little shy about the whole deal and was not about to commit at all. I finally got a poke at him as he stoped for a peek on the way out. All I could see was his head so I pulled er down and touched it off. As i felt the trigger break I saw his head turn as he was leaving and sure enough I sent an air ball by his head. Dang it! Yet sure enough he ran lik a scalded cat for about 300 yards and then paused on a little rise for a look back.
That one didn't miss.
When I waled out to him I saw some blood on his ear, upon closer inspection there was a 22cal hole about an inch from his noggin.
I thought about hanging out my shingle as Craig Hamiltons ear piercing! any takers?

Will, on a little more serious note. It was an absolutely glorious morning. One of those that make you just know that something mightier than you had decided to give us one of his little gifts. There I was doing what I loved and wishing you were there.

I got down on a knee and said me a little prayer for you.
I told you that I wasn't much on praying but this is what I said.

Dear lord, I want to ask you for a little help for a friend, Amen.

I had to say it a few times to make sure, it is not everyday that I pray.

They say that he can read our hearts so I figured he knew who I was talking about.

Take care you all, Craig.

Craig that perforated ear is classic ! You gotta preserve that as a conversation piece.

With the weather that blew through AZ this weekend I REALLY had my hopes up for some big-time action... was hoping it would rain through the night, but it stopped around midnight.

I went out for quick-morning trips both Saturday and Sunday but your luck was better than mine... lured in 1 coyote, two really dumb farm dogs, and a small herd (about 10) of desert Mule deer. No shots fired...

Im constantly surpised at how many deer come to the distress calls.

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

A-Ha!! I smell a patent infringement suit coming on!
biggrin.gif

Congrats, Craig. Sounds like you had a good one!

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
fea6c171.jpg

Great story. Keep 'em coming for all us poor slobs who live in states that close the season at the end of February. We live until November through our friend's experiences. Thanks.

Craig...

Great story - two coyotes huh?, that's simply great!!!

You saying a prayer for me while you were out there in God's country, means a great deal to me.

More than I can express...

I sure needed it too, yesterday was a bad day for me health wise. Today hopefully, things will be better....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Criag, hang on buddy! I'm sending two of those big suckers your way. Just thought I'd let you know so you could work on your composure beforehand. Just raggin' ya', good job on the re-do with the second dog.

------------------
B.Pierce

Back