Anyone using 60 gr Hollow point sierra 243 bulleta on coyotes

yoteblaster

Is Anyone using 60 gr Hollow point sierra 243 bullet on coyotes. How well do they work and do they cause a great deal of damage and do you see much for splash on the shoulder, bones.

I am VERY new at reloading, and made a post somewhere else.
But, I will ask the question again. Can Red Dot powder be used to load .204's using winchester primers and Hornady v-max bullets (40 gr.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Don't mean to interupt anyone.
Thanks

wendle check over here for 204 Reloading data.

http://www.204ruger.com/

Click on the load data section. The forums will also offer you some good insight to loading the 204. I use Alliant 10X with both the 32's and the 40's with excellent results. There are several online reloading data sights and I haven't seen one that recommends red dot. It's a pretty high energy shotgun/pistol powder. I use it in my 38 special.

yoteblaster I've been using the 55 grain Nosler balistic tips since they came out in my 243 with excellent results. I push them along at over 3900 fps and no splash wounds. some go thru and some don't. They kill very well.

I shot a Shilen Stainless Steel Match barrel out shooting the 60g Sierra chambered in 6mm Rem shooting 50.0g of Win 760 in a Win case, with a fed 210 primer. The groups are very tiny and at 4000 fps, they did not tear up hides much at all, but the coyotes were laying right where you hit them, even when shot way back in the stomach.

The 60g Sierra is a much tougher bullet than a 60g Berger, and of course tougher than a V-Max.

I have shot the 60g Sierra in several 243's, and in a 243 BAR that I hunted with.

Accuracy with the 60g Sierra is on par with a 60g Berger, also.

If I were starting off loading the 60g Sierra in a 243, I would start off at 46.5g of 760 and work my way up to 49.0g one shot at a time to establish where the pressure becomes excessive. At the point to where the pressure becomes excessive, back off 2.0g and work your way up shooting 3 shot groups, avoiding the load with excessive pressure, of course. Accuracy will be found within 2.0g of Max, with really fantastic speed and accuracy.

Even the BAR shot 1/2" groups with the 760 and 60g Sierra's.

Good luck!

I am a little concerned with the V-mzx and ballistic tips splash. I am not wanting to wreck the hide but the overall goal is to drop them in their tracks regardless of the fur.

Yoteblaster, the 60g Sierra will not give you surface spash!
It is an excellent coyote bullet! I killed several large animals with them also.

Wendle:

Red Dot is a very fast burning powder, primarily used for shotgun and pistol loading. If you study loading manuals, you will not find it listed, as it is inappropriate for most rifle applications. In fact, it can be downright dangerous. The worst example I've seen of that, was a gentleman who loaded an unknown quantity of Red Dot into his 7mm Rem. Mag, 'since it worked so well in his shotgun'. Firing this over the hood of his pickup, he blew the Winchester Model 70 apart, blew the windshield out of the pickup, and landed himself in the hospital. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
I am a little concerned with the V-mzx and ballistic tips splash. I am not wanting to wreck the hide but the overall goal is to drop them in their tracks regardless of the fur

yoteblaster- I have not had any problem with that using the Hornady 58 grain v-max. Even I bobcats, I usually don't have an exit. If you hit on the margin, however, you can open them up.

You can image the shock when you hit a bobcat at 35 yards broadside and it doesn't exit. Talk about energy transer. From 3750 fps to dead stop in 35 yards. They don't run far it att all.

wow, a person would think it would shred a bobcat. I loaded some up so i am going to target shoot to see how they shoot and give them a try on the real deal I suspect they will shut the odgs down pretty quick

Quote:
Quote:
I am a little concerned with the V-mzx and ballistic tips splash. I am not wanting to wreck the hide but the overall goal is to drop them in their tracks regardless of the fur

yoteblaster- I have not had any problem with that using the Hornady 58 grain v-max. Even I bobcats, I usually don't have an exit. If you hit on the margin, however, you can open them up.

You can image the shock when you hit a bobcat at 35 yards broadside and it doesn't exit. Talk about energy transer. From 3750 fps to dead stop in 35 yards. They don't run far it att all.

Yellowhammer, I have used my 243 for years and have had very destructive results with the 70g ballistic tips loaded at 3650fps about 50 percent of the time. Is this the case with the 58g Vmax as well? I still own my 243 but picked up a 223 LTR to try on my next trip out west. I will be using either 40g or 60g Vmaxs and my goal is to do as little damage to Bobcat pelts as possible and most shots have been from 8 feet to 50 yards.

Quote:
I am VERY new at reloading, and made a post somewhere else.
But, I will ask the question again. Can Red Dot powder be used to load .204's using winchester primers and Hornady v-max bullets (40 gr.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Don't mean to interupt anyone.
Thanks

I would stay away from Red Dot for the .204 . Get a good loading manual and stick to the recomendations in the manual .

Back