25-06 vs 7mm rem mag

You already have the 7mm mag. It would be much cheaper for you to put a break on the gun you have then to buy a new one. I bet it would still be cheaper to tame the recoil on your 7mm mag then to sell it and buy a new one. If you really want to buy a new gun, I would take a serious hard look at something in a .270 WSM. The recoil to me is less even than a standard .270 and is in the ballpark of a .25-06. Go to any factory ammo ballistic chart and compare the .270, .270WSM, 7mm mag and .25-06 and you will see that on paper anyway, the .270WSM will outperform all of them for velocity, energy and trajectory. The below link is at least Remingtons example using the same bullet in the .270WSM and the 7mm mag. The 25-06 bullet is 120 grains. You should get at least an idea. I dont own a .270WSM but I do own a .300WSM. My Tikka .300WSM recoils less than my Winchester model 70 chambered in 7mm mag. I have shot a .270WSM however and found the recoil to be very tame.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuni...PRA7MMRB*R25063

Shoot a box of shells through the 7mm. use ear protection and a heavy coat and about the 8th 9th or 10th shot you will realize it is not a monster but will jump the same every time. shoot it and learn to appreciate it's performance

Quote:
Go with the muzzle brake. It will be cheaper and you won't have to worry about" Do I have enough gun "

+1000000000000000000000

GO WITH A MUZZLE BREAK!!! I had the same problem you had, I put on a muzzle break and now my 7mm Rem Mag barks like a .243...

I have found that depending on the stock configuration of the 270, that recoil can be just as sever as the 7mm mag. Go with a cartridge designed off the 308. They all will do the job.

Quote:
Quote:
I have killed elk with small calibers on up to the 375 H7H mag (With a 300 grain bullet, talk about recoil). Unless you are a very experienced elk hunter, I would not recommend the 25-06. Not enough bullet weight. Imo, the 270 with a 130 gr bullet should be minimum. As some said above, install a good recoil pad on that 7mm and practice with it. The 7mm mag is a very good elk rifle. The nasty thing about muzzle brakes is the noise, horrible. I suggest you shoot that 7mm (with a good pad) until you are confident with it, the recoil issue can be overcome.

Well there certainly must be a minimum caliber and bullet weight for elk that is reasonable. But do you think your example is it?

Do you think and elk is going to notice the difference of 10 grains of bullet weight and 2 hundreths of an inch in diameter???
.277" - .257" = .020"
130 grains - 120 grains = 10 grains.
An elk would not know the difference.

Many people use a .257 Roberts and 100 to 120 grain bullets on elk. I have been told they just tend to drop like rocks when hit with a .257

Do not get me wrong, I would want a .270 and a good quality 150 grain bullet as a minimum for elk. I would most likely use my .338 Win Mag with 215 or 225 grain bullets.

But I am certain a 25-06 would work just fine.

I am not going there with this one, suffice it to say, I have 50 years of elk hunting experience, nuff said.

I'm a .270 fan myself.

Many a moose has been killed with a web pagex or so I hear. A good cartridge/caliber for elk with minimal recoil might be a 7mm-08. Standard bullet is 140 grains, and short action. Something to consider.

Last edited:
there is a world of differnce in a 7 Mag and a 25/06, I have several of each.

You may consider putting a Shrewd muzzle break on your 7 Mag available from Brownells for $45, the gunsmith will have to turn the dia of the break, drill the dia in the end of it to suit the 7mm bullets and you will have the recoil of a 243....shore nuff nice! When you shoot the elk, you will see the water vapor fly off his hide!

Then you need to buy a pair of Peltor Tac 6 electronic ear muffs to wear to keep the noise down along with keeping your ears warm.

Good luck!

Quote:
I'm a .270 fan myself.

+1 on that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif, I have killed a lot of elk with mine, somewhere between 22-25 of them with it.

Just to muddy the waters even more. The Inuit indians up north use .223's to take polar bear, atleast I read that somewhere so it must be true right? LOL. If it is true then that says a lot for shot placement. But I agree on planning for the imperfect shot and not the versa.

Lots of experienced elk hunters here Betty
Personally I always try to match the rifle to the game I intend to hunt the 7mm mag seems more suited in my opinion than the 25-06
good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I have found that depending on the stock configuration of the 270, that recoil can be just as sever as the 7mm mag. Go with a cartridge designed off the 308. They all will do the job.

Man do I agree with that. I have a Remmy 760 in .270 that barks at both ends. I realize that this has got to be a freak because the semi auto action should reduce recoil slightly. But this thing is wicked evil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif And no I ain't no puss either I have shot as much as .338 lapua magnums and Barret M92 .50 cal sniper systems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I started hunting large game with a 30-378 it will do the job then i went to the 7mag . now i hunt with a weatherby
257. I have shat yotes to moos with it. It is the gun i go to
its shoots .47-.68 at 100y

shot placement is your friend

1st off, THANKS to all of you. heres the reason im asking:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...ue#Post52666614
i havent shot the darn gun since.

i do have a savage 111 in 270 but it kicks pretty much the same as the 7 mag. i am getting new recoil pads for both.
it seems to me that the way to go would be to fix what i have before spending the $$$ on a new gun, (but i do love new guns) so ill try the muzzle brake first.
once again, thanks to all of you and ill let you know what happens.
sb

If I couldn't hit an elk at 40 yards with a rifle, I sure wouldn't waste and more money on if for muzzle breaks or recoil pads.

I can't think of anything beside a bad scope or loose mounts that could make a gun shoot that bad.

7mag isn't the problem.

Back