> Thoughts On The 30-06 Remington Accelerator? How accurate is it really?

Lucky1406

I haven't bought any rounds of the remington accelerator, but was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to shoot them. Are they accurate? Does anyone know how much they tear up the hides of coyotes/foxes? Any info would help, thanks,
Nick

My experience mirrors Mr. Roberts with both the 06 and the 30-30 accelerator's. From seeing a few shot I'd say your wasting your money. Load a good 110 or 125 grain bullet in that 06 and go from there.

Years ago I tried the 06' and .30-30 Accelerator ammo and found the accuracy to be pretty dismal. I never found out much about terminal performance because I don't think I was able to actually hit anything with them!

People love, love, love to bash accelerators just like mini-14's. Accelators are the mini-14 of the ammo world, face it, they just get picked on. I just dont get it. I have shot them on paper with my .30/06 and the group was respectable, small enough to tag a coyote at 100-150 yards (3-4" groups). The .30/06 version shoots a 55gr grain bullet at nearly 4000fps, not bad. I would not make it my primary prairie dog round but it would work occasionally for coyotes in the field. Give them a try and find out for yourself.

Quote:
the group was respectable, small enough to tag a coyote at 100-150 yards (3-4" groups).

Your aim must be consistantly better than mine. To me, 3-4" groups translates into chasing a bunch of wounded coyotes. I hate that. The more time I spend following one, the less time I have to call another. As hunters, it's our resposibilty to the animals we hunt to put them down quickly and humanely. I hate the thought of a coyote or anything else laying in the brush somewhere suffering and waiting for infection to finish what I started. It happens to all of us but stacking the odds against it is the right thing to do. Using accelerators diminishes the odds of a clean kill, period. Stick with light bullets out of your '06 and forget about the sabots.

My only problem is that i don't have the ability to handload yet. And I haven't found anyone who loads 30-06 yet who would be willing to load some light bullets for me. I figure that if I ever do find someone, I just need about a hundred or so to last me for the next few years. If you know of anyone, give me a shout. I think I'm gonna try the sabots and see what kind of accuracy I can get from them. If its 2MOA or less, then I'll go with them. I don't plan on having to shoot over 150yards anyway. If I can't call them in that close, then I need to work on my calls a little more.
Nick

I seem to recall being at Sportsman's Warehouse about a year ago and seeing some factory 125gr ammo for the 30-06. I'm not entirely certain but I believe it was a box of Federal soft points. It might be worth looking into. I have also heard nothing but bad reports about the Accelerators.
BP

I just did some very quick looking around and found that Remington offers a 125gr bullet in their managed recoil line for the 30-06. If you can't get something like that locally you can always order it online and have it delivered to you.

I just saw that too, do you think that that would be to big a round to hit a coyote with? I don't want to tear him up too bad. I mean, its only 25g lighter than the 150's. Doesn't sound like it will make much difference, what are your thoughts?
Nick

If the '06 is all you've got, I'd consider using a heavier bullet of heavy construction. You're gonna be doing some tracking, but if you don't want to chop a dog in 1/2, I think you're better off punching a pencil hole clean through. Regardless, I'd hone up on my sewing skills.

i get really tired of people saying that we owe it to the yotes to kill them quickly. what the hell do you do with the thing after you shoot it. most leave them lay. encluding myself. sure i would rather kill one with the first shot it is cheaper that way. but i feel if we were that concerned about how may bullets it takes to kill a coyote we probable wouldnt shoot them anyway just to leave it in the ditch. try the eccelerators you might like them i dont but you might.

I have shot a number of .30-06 accelerators in several rifles. They definitely accent the poor accuracy rifles to the point of laughing. They also will blow the living crap out of things. We noticed them shooting consistently high. On yellow bellied marmots(rockchucks) hits under 200 yards exploded them leaving 6-10 foot circles of blood and parts. This often took walking the shot in to make up for accuracy issues.
At the extra cost for these, using standard Remington Core-Lokt would be much better and you might find a spot to shoot coyote that leaves some hide. Some shots may just be pass through.
Maybe everyone should try the Accelorator's once but Core-Lokts are cheaper, more accurate, more consistent damage.

I used them when they first came out in a Remington pump 30-06 for woodchucks in New York and everyone of them that I shot at even up to 300 yards always ended up with their feet straight up with a tail quiver.Must be the gun of course.

3-4" at 100 Yards translates to 6-8" at 200 that is a pure miss on a coyote with its 4" kill zone. The 55 Grn bullet may go real fast but fast is not every thing they tend to disintegrate in impact, wind deflection is a real problem as well. If you handload work up a 125 grn load fo yotes they work real good.

Dumb question but what kinda pressure are talking about here ? gotta be hard on youre rifle in the long run I would think. I even have some reservations about shooting the 125,s in mine but I have been tempted to. I have other varmit rifles but you always have the desire to see cloud of red spray LOL!!

Quote:
i get really tired of people saying that we owe it to the yotes to kill them quickly.

Hey skeet, do you enjoy pulling the wings off flies too? It's not about what you do with it after you kill it. I don't save fur either. It's about being a responsible sportsman. If you're going to try and kill it, then do your best to kill it cleanly. Doesn't matter what it is. I'm guessing from what you wrote that if it's not something you're going to eat, you don't really care how it dies. Beautiful. You're just the kind of hunter (and I use the term very loosely) that those who oppose what we do love. I hate defending myself to anti-hunters, but when they know a guy like you and cite things like what you just said, it's hard to argue with them. They think we're all the same. Thanks for doing your part for the other side.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, not a coyote or a rabbit or a prarie dog or a fly for that matter deserves to die a slow, miserable death caused by some one who calls themself a hunter.

Sorry for the rant. That just really got my hackles up. I just don't need people like that on my side of the line.

Back