Browning BLR opinions?

NativeCraft

I had about talked myself into picking up a Browning BLR that's sitting in my local gunshop. That is, until "2muchgun" pointed out in another thread that the gear in it is made of plastic. What in the world!?
Is there not a decent rifle made anymore that doesn't cost $1,500? (Thinking Sako, here). And why the hell would Browning put a plastic gear in a rifle?

I'm ready to give up on anything "production" and just pick up my handmade longbow with port orford cedar arrows and stick with it.

There are guys out there who like them. I don't like the looks or the feel/balance at all. Have seen 2 of them, one at my house, and 1 at the gunshop that had broken off the teeth on the plastic gear and were locked in place, would no longer cycle. Have heard of a bunch more from guys on the net too. One guy told me he replaced the gear 3-4 times......

When did they start using plastic gears and bushings?
I have a .223 blr that was purchased approx 6-7 years ago that has no plastic parts in it at all.

Quote:
The bushing is also plastic.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
What in the heck are they thinking.
I've had my fill of plastic junk...mark that BLR off my list.

I don't know about the newest version of the BLR, however, in the older ones the "gears" are not made of plastic. There is a central bushing of one that is made of poly/plastic type material. For the most part it works quite well and gives no trouble. There are a heck of a lot of guns made with "plastic" parts that run fine... thinking Glock? If you don't like the plastic bushing a bronze bushing is available for less than $20.00. I'm not a huge fan of the newest BLR, something about them doesn't suit me as well as my old steel frame M81. Now that is what a "BLR" should feel like IMHO!

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the newest BLR, something about them doesn't suit me as well as my old steel frame M81. Now that is what a "BLR" should feel like IMHO!

GC, if it's the right caliber I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not for sale, but I appreciate the thought. My Dad has one identical, both are .308's. Both have been shot a lot, hunted with a lot, both have many kills, both are 100% reliable, and both are very acurate. I'd like to find one in .243 or .257 Roberts for the little lady, or, as a back-up predaotr calling rifle. To my hand, the older steel frame M81 is slimmer and handles better than the newest rendition.

I talked to the proprietor of my local shop who's a Browning afficianado and even he said the newer ones must suck as they had quit stocking them a couple of years ago because noone was asking for them since they switched over to the aluminum receivers. He wasn't sure about the plastic gear issue, but said that if it did have one that it would "surely suck".

GC, I'm looking for the same calibers - if I find an "extra" one I'll let you know.

Quote:
How do the BLR's do in cold weather? Have heard several say they don't operate the same.....

I don't know your definition of "cold." Dad and I have used ours in the single digits and many, many, times in the low to mid-teens in ice and snowy conditions with no problems. Dad's rifle has been his main critter getter for a long time. He has killed many coyotes, fox, and a few bobcats I've called for him during the cold midwestern winter months with no mechanical problems of any sort. Maybe the Artic Circle could prove problematic, but we've never had trouble with ours.

Native,
Thanks for the consideration... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Heard one guy from Michigan and 1 guy from Minnesota say they don't feel the same when cycling the action in cold weather. Both newer models I believe. I've not done it, so I don't know.......

I have the M'81 in 243 and absolutely love it! It was my dads gun and he has never had a problem with it while shooting and hunting! He has had it since 1981! It doesnt have the plastic gear, and i am pretty sure thats why it has never had a problem! Its solid as a rock in reliability! Accuracy is way under an inch at 100. Is it my 220 swift Remmy 700vs... not by a mile, but i would much rather carry it a mile instead of my 700! But anyways, if you can find a pre 81 moddel, i would recomend it in a heartbeat!

Andrew

My son bought a BLR 7MM/08 while deployed last year. This fall he used four rounds to drop four big deer, two of them within seconds of each other on a cold MN morning. He loves the gun.

I've owned several of the pre-81' models (Belgian made) and they were excellent. I have no experience with the 81 model or newer. Don't like the sound of "plastic gears." I know there's still some difference in performance, but for a deer rifle, if I just had to have a lever gun, I think I'd go with a Marlin in the .308 Marlin Express chambering. Guys on the marlinowners forum are reporting outstanding accuracy. It's not a .308, but the deer won't know the difference.

I have a belgium made BLR. I think it is a very fine rifle. It shoots really well with Black Hills ammo and has never failed me in the field. I am surprised to hear that there are plastic parts in the newer models. Sad they would change such a good design. My rifle doesn't seem to get anymore "sluggish" than a bolt gun would when the mercury is low.

MO Boy

Quote:
Have seen 2 of them, one at my house, and 1 at the gunshop that had broken off the teeth on the plastic gear and were locked in place, would no longer cycle. Have heard of a bunch more from guys on the net too. One guy told me he replaced the gear 3-4 times......

They must've purchased those plastic gears somewhere else because Browning told me that they were METAL, not plastic. Maybe there was a run of 'em with plastic gears, I don't know, but they're metal now and that's all I needed to know.

Aluminum recievers and plastic gears. There is some "interesting" information being circulated around some peoples gun shops.

Quote:
Aluminum recievers and plastic gears. There is some "interesting" information being circulated around some peoples gun shops.

No doubt about that.

Let's not be too harsh here. There may have been a run with plastic gears. And nobody can be perfect all the time. Even I, as great as I think I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif have been known to be wrong more than once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Jack

"as great as I think I am" This is a joke in case anybody missed the intent.

Back