NY Catskill Myns Hunter Need tip on whacking coyotes

Eddiemats

Hi everybody,
I've been reading the boards for the last few weeks. Great stuff ! I'll try to keep mine simple. I've got good hunting property in the Catskills. My dad bought the property 23 years ago for hunting only and we've been
pretty blessed with success and good times.We've got lots of predators around, bears,bobcats,coyotes, fox, and coon. We've taken several of the above but it always occurs as a result of deer season ( Mid-Nov thru Mid Dec ). Anyway, my brother and I picked up a Johnny Stewart cassette player a few years back. In about 10 real trys I've called in 2 coyotes.Both were called in using a fawn in distress call. I have several other tapes, cottontail in distress, cottontail and red fox, Red Shafted Woodpecker, Coyote locator..... How long should I run these tapes. Do I play them continuously ? What predators are more apt to be called in with which tapes ???....By the way, regarding that 85lb coyote, we took one during deer season a few years back that after leaking out for hours ( due to a 30-06 ) hole and hanging overnight weighed in at 55lbs. It was weighed by our taxidermist in Delhi,NY.....And I've seen some bigger boys that have gotten away

Eddie,
Here are a couple of tips that I believe will help you kill more of the critters that you call. Stick your calling tapes in a tape recorder and tape about one minute of silence at beginning of the tape. Now when you go out to call critters, try to set up so that your calling machine will be about fifty yards or so cross-wind of your chosen hidey hole. This way, the one minute of silence will give you time to hit the go button and walk back to your hide out before the screams begin. Let it play for the entire 30 minutes of the tape. You may be smart to invest in a couple of 90 minute tapes for calling the larger critters like bear or cougar. 45 minutes on stand is not too long for those big buggers. I would start with the cottontail tape because it will call all of the predators which you mention.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/cronkcalls/calls.html

Thanks Rich. I'm gonna give that a try this weekend. Hopefully I can find some more time to get involved in more of these forums. And
add some good stories and pictures.By the way,I've seen two bobcats called in by turkey calls, one in the spring and one in the fall. The cat I shot in the fall was the first critter I ever got. Only coyote I ever
nailed came running out searching for three turkeys that roosted in trees about 75 yards from me. I was deer hunting at the time

Eddie,
The coons will come better to the woodpecker tape, and they are mostly night time customers. Coons don't travel very far to the call and they come pretty quick. Five-ten minutes is long enough to wait on stand for them. For coyote, 15-20 minutes per stand is about average. Bobcat are sneakers much of the time, so I would stay the entire 30 minutes (longer if I had a 90 minute tape). I failed to mention in my above post that critters (especially coyote and bear) like to circle down-wind to get a whiff of what they hear screaming. This is why I like to set the call cross-wind of my chosen hidey hole.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/cronkcalls/calls.html

Rich,
Thanks again. What about volume ? I've also read about calling yotes uphill/downhill. Any I've ever seen have been running ridges.
The way our property is situated we only hunt

Rich,

The manner in which our property is situated really only gives us mountain/hillside to hunt. Every few hundred yards up the hills we have plateaus where most of our deerstands are located. This is also where we have seen the majority of our coyotes. In 20+ years we've only seen two in the valley, one this year on an old overgrown county road that runs parallel with our valley.

Eddie,
I'm not experienced in mountain country calling, but it sounds as though your coyotes are using the ridge tops for travelways. This should be good place to call from. There are a lot of variables concerning volume or loudness of the screams. I would guess that 1/2 volume would be a good place to start.

Back