.310 bullets

levi3030

I purchased some bulk packed bullets to load for a cz 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and I let my 7 year old kill 2 deer with it.I have not been impressed with the performance to say the least. I know they are cheap and most times you get what you pay for, But seeing how he has now claimed this as his deer rifle and will be hunting with it I would like to find a bullet that will hold up better.The bulk packed one are not holding up and are coming apart and not making a exit hole. I like an exit hole. Does any one make a bullet in the .310 dia that is a little tougher. I am getting around 2470 fps over my chrony with a 123 gr bulk bullets and would like to stay with the 123 or 125 gr bullet if possible but I am open to all suggestions

Thanks Levi

Here's a place to check out some really good cast bullets.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

You also can cast your own which is what I do. Casting is a good adjunct to reloading and can make shooting darn near as inexpensive for a big bore rifle or handgun as shooting a 22 long rifle. I use Lee's bottom pour lead pot and molds and their fantastic liquid alox to swirl lube my cast bullets.

I've bought most of my stuff from Midway they have really good prices on Lee's products. I cast bullets for my 8mm rifle and for the 38/357, 40 S&W, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Long colt and am ordering molds for the 7mm and 308 caliber rifles. Lee makes a mold for the 7.62 by 39.

I understand you want an exit hole, but at what point in the two deer's deaths did the bullet fail?

Penetration and a huge amount of damage inside the animal is a good thing. I also like good penetration but I would not complain about two dead deer.

Were they both one shot kills?

I am using Sierra Pro Hunter 125's with good results.....in a .303 British. They do hold together at these much higher velocities so frangibility should not be an issue at 2350 fps in the 7.62x39.

You may wish to try the Wolf 154 grain factory ammo; it is accurate in my Ruger mini-30 although it prints 6 inches below point of aim with my tallest rear sight setting at 25 yards...will have to use a scope. Remington 125 grain SP prints to point of aim at 50 yards and I'm sure it will perform well at 30-30 ranges.

Out at 100 yards or so, where the game is, the 7.62x39 is running neck and neck with the conventional flatpoint 150 grain 30-30 load by virtue of it's more efficient bullet shape.

A good hit with the 7.62x39 shooting soft points has been a completely reliable killer for my friends and me out to 150 yards. As a comparison energy is much higher than a .44 magnum handgun.

Some years back I experimented with .308 150 grain bullets out of an SKS to see how the accuracy was. Suprisingly, it was very good. If you handload you can work up some loads for hunting and practice with the regular bulk Russian Block ammo. It's a thought.
Cast bullets, as mentioned above, is another good alturnative.

Levi3030, my hunting partner is not quite normal, but then again, neither am I. He has a 7.62x39 in a Ruger, and he shoots the 150g .312 bullets in it. He killed two does this year at the 200 yard mark with an el cheapo 3x9 that should go on a BB gun. He is loading H4895 with amazing accuracy.

Best of luck you you!

Back