17. Rem vs. 17 Fireball

duckdog

I'd like to hear from some of you more knowledgable folks on the difference in these two rounds. The Remington catalog ballistics tables list the 17 Rem. as being a little faster and a little farther carrying. Not much, but a little. So where is the benefit of the Fireball? Thanks in advance.

That right, I doubt that there is too much diff between the two, except that you can load the 17 Rem down to 12 FB levels, but you cant load a 17 FB up to 17 Rem power. MOST of my shooting with my 17 Rem is with the 20 grain Vmax loaded to around 4000 fps. This is about 400 fps less than I can get out of it, but it scatters a ground squirrel so good I dont see the reason for more push than that.

Well, If you didn't have either one, and you were going to buy one of them, which would it be and why? I think I read somewhere that the furball uses a "cleaner burning powder"? Is this possible?

I think the 17 fireball was developed for those who can't handle the recoil of the 17 Rem. :)

For predator hunting, I don't like the bullet used in the 17 FB. The bullet used in the factory ammo for the 17 Rem works well on coyotes and such.

If you are only going to shoot a few boxes of cartridges a year, I wouldn't worry about the powder the factory uses. I however reload so it's a non issue for me 'cause I don't use factory ammo.

I have both the 17 Rem and the 17 Mach IV which is for all intent purposes the same as the 17 FB. In your case, right now, I would reccomend the 17 Rem. It will do everything the 17FB will do and more.

Now if you are going to shoot hundreds or even thousands of rounds, the 17 FB will give you longer barrel life. If you are only going to hunt coyotes, bobcats, and foxes with the rifle, you probably won't wear out the barrel anyway so that is a moot point IMO.

"Now if you are going to shoot hundreds or even thousands of rounds, the 17 FB will give you longer barrel life. If you are only going to hunt coyotes, bobcats, and foxes with the rifle, you probably won't wear out the barrel anyway so that is a moot point IMO"
That nails it.
For calling use either, they will last for decades. However for shooting colony varmints the FB will probably have twice the barrel life. Depending on how much you are shooting, that could mean the difference between one week and two or one year and two.

Jack

Another good question, Duckdog.

Back in the late 70's, I got my first 17 Remington, it was a Harrington and Richardson that used the cute Sako L461 action. Mind you, this was when a lot of folks had never even seen a 17 caliber gun. Anyway, I soon discovered what a cool little gun it was. But, I lived in Houston back in those days and because I did not have a place to shoot it other than the gun range, I sold it. I kept the dies and brass and several years later (and three moves)bought me another, this time a CZ 527. Got to love those set triggers. Now then, the 17 Mach IV was already around as a wildcat by the time Remington finally made their first 17 cal rifle, but they wanted to gee whiz the buying public with that 4100 fps so they used a bigger case to get the velocities that they thought that they would need to sell this little round. It worked too- for a while. It almost went bye bye after a few years, but sales were always good enough to keep it in production, but just barely.

I think that if Remington had made a little .172 bullet in 20 grain back then they still could have had their magical 4 grand speed, and used the nifty Mach IV instead. There are a crap load more powders avail now than there were over 35 years ago, so maybe not.

If I was starting today brand new? I will make no bones about it, it would be the 17 Remington. Mine have all been so finely accurate, with each next one better than the last. The fact that it has been around for all of those 36- 37 years dont hurt a thing either. Like I said earlier, the 17 Rem can be loaded down- and it does so very well even. On my last prairie dog outing I was punching pooches way out past 300 yards with mine. One was at 400 yards. And this was with the 20 grain bullet loaded down to aprox 4000 fps. Mine fouls no worse and cleans just as easy as my 223 or 204 or 220 Swift rifles. Need a special cleaning rod, but got mine at Cabela's. You can get them everywhere now, but DO get the one piece, OK?

And durn, I went on long, but I was trying to make a point here I guess. I know what the first born 17 will do. I expect his little brother will do just fine as well. I hope so even. It's just that he has some might big shoes to fill, even if they fit on tiny itty bitty feet.

Great information guys! Sounds like my next new rifle will probably be a .17 Rem. I sure like what I hear about the CZ rifles, and they look so sweet. The only thing that I'm skeptical about is their origin. I know they're company name is CZ-USA, but what does this really mean? Aren't they czech made? Is czechlaslavalkia (spelling?) a democratic country or communist or what? I guess I need to do some research.... wait that's what I'm doing here.

Quote:
Great information guys! Sounds like my next new rifle will probably be a .17 Rem. I sure like what I hear about the CZ rifles, and they look so sweet. The only thing that I'm skeptical about is their origin. I know they're company name is CZ-USA, but what does this really mean? Aren't they czech made? Is czechlaslavalkia (spelling?) a democratic country or communist or what? I guess I need to do some research.... wait that's what I'm doing here.

Heres what ya need to know about CZ-USA

They make a nice rifle with pretty wood, nice blueing, with a nice trigger, that shoots really good for the money you pay for it.

Fireball less powder but less vel than the .17 Rem. .17 Rem will shoot the high BC 28-30gr bullets. I own all the .17 Rem's and a couple of the .17 Fireballs. Would never opt for a .17 Fireball over a .17 Rem. You can always load down the .17 Rem but you can't up a .17 Fireball.

Quote:
"... Aren't they czech made? Is czechlaslavalkia (spelling?) a democratic country or communist or what? ..."

The Czech's threw the Rooski's out years ago. They are not a communist country.

If you are worried about the origin of where stuff is made, then how do you buy clothes - almost all clothing is made in China (a communist country)...

... and look on the boxes of RCBS presses - they are made in communist China... and each year, more and more of the RCBS stuff is made in communist China.

Fred Huntington, the founder of RCBS (1912-1998), is probably rolling over in his grave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Buy the Cz, you won't regret it. I was not a fan until I shot one. They make a GREAT rifle for the money. I have never seen one that wasn't a shooter.

Back