Va hunters?

catcrazy

Just checking to see if anyone else in Va has gotten hooked on the cats? I had a little luck this year but always looking to do better. Anybody close by to Richmond interested in comparing notes, don't hesitate to drop a line. Thanks!

I hunt the cats hard in southern Va. and have my best luck around swamps and lakes. Seems like a thick cutover and water nearby will hold enough cats to give you a shot at callin one up. What kind of areas do you hunt?

Rebel, I have tried just about everything from field edges to woody creek bottoms to logging roads. I like the field setups the best because we can see so much better. The pines with logging roads are harder to hunt but we've called them there too. I've hunted mostly at night because the small game overlaps with deer season. We did call some during muzzleloader at night after deer hunting with some success, but I found out quickly that I've still got a lot to learn and fine tune. What have you found that has any degree of consistency with call and set-up?

Catcrazy, I 've found out that the only thing consistent with hunting them here is that I spend a great deal of time and effort but it takes alot of stands to get one. If they are there I can usually get a response somewhere in a thick bottom using a lohman call. I haven't tried alot of calls on them and this I hope to change but my confidence is in a couple of calls. I'm usually carrying a shotgun so I don't mind spots thick as long as I can see areas all around me to get a fairly decent shot. Most are 25-40 yds tops.

Hey catcrazy, I used to live in Powhatan myself,you might want to try powhatan WMA, the 2nd pond had some good sign around it last time i was there.Another good spot I know of is the backside of the WMA, on rt 13.....there is an old beaver pond in the back, should be some cats there along with the reds and greys

mallardman, I appreciate the suggestion. We've got some decent places in Powhatan, Cumberland and Amelia to hunt, but always like to try some new ground. I had actually thought about checking the WMA out, but wasn't absolutely sure that you could hunt at night in those areas. I probably need to scout out the area now and double check on the night hunting.

Did you have any luck this season? Where are you hunting?

Try the WMAs. I'd hit the one in Powhatan and Amelia and the ones further up the James.

I'm from Amelia. I'm just getting into this, but comparing notes or at least telling you what more experienced people have told me, would be fine.

[This message has been edited by boba (edited 03-08-2002).]

hey catcrazy up in richmond this is lonehunter down in bedford county haven't been cat hunting yet and i mean yet. mostly fox and coon hunting looking for some yot's. a friend had 3 cat's stalk his beagles while rabbit hunting. not looking forward to the off season , have to start gold panning again. do you have any yot's up your way?

Lonehunter,
There's a few killed here and there, mostly seems people have killed them during deer season. I don't know of a lot of people here trying for yotes. Since the seasons out on cats and fox, we've been hunting some but not too much for em! I'm sure that there's a lot more of them here than people think. Just curious if you've hunted anywhere near Big Island in Bedford Co?

not in big island have some friends that live over in big island. i hunt some by peaks of otter deer coon hunting, have not called for fox or cat's yet plan on it this coming season cant wait. same here on the yot's mostly here of them being killed during deer season. going to go out to try and call some in, have some land that i have not tried yet between roanoke and bedford let you now how it go's

Back