Bipod zero change???

marathonracer4

I sighted in my savage predator with a prone bipod on it then removed it for hunting this winter(deep snow so I use shooting sticks and sit instad of lay down like in the fall)

Will removing the bipod change the zero? I figure it may if the bipod caused the stock to touch the barrel and changed its harmonics.

There isn't a yes or no to that question. Bottom line is... It could.

Part of your 'zero' includes a slight bit of muzzle jump. Any mass placed or removed forward of the fulcrum point will affect muzzle jump. Adding or removing mass COULD affect your zero.

If there was any part of the stock touching the barrel it would affect the harmonics and barrel 'whip' is also a part of your zero. Changing that could also affect your zero.

Best bet, go shoot to confirm after any change in your rig. Your next shot COULD be a trophy and why risk it?

Quote:
I never thought about muzzle jump and the fulcrum point! I figgured I should check it anyway... its not worth missing the shot.

Not to mention the obvious.....distance to target will complicate any issues. I'd say you will be ok when shooting at whitetail under 200yds. Let us know how you do.

Last edited:
answer is yes
maybe!

I shoot alot of long range, to get consistant POI ya gotta preload the bipod.

for most shooting it may not matter, but we're talkin deer at 800 yds here, you just put about the rifles weight of foreward pressure on it before the shot, could change the pressure enough to cause a miss at close range if your barrel doesn't have alot of clearance.
RR

Only one way to know take it out and send a couple rounds down range i agree with everyone that it should not be a big diff at a 200 yards on a Deer. when you shoot off hand you will prob be off more than what your Bipod would good luck

Back