Mall Employee Describes Deadly Shooting

Ricc9

Dec 7, 8:22 AM (ET)

By SOPHIA TAREEN

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - For almost 30 harrowing minutes, Jodi Longmeyer recounted to a 911 dispatcher what she could see and hear of a teenage gunman's deadly rage in a mall department store - and then broke down, she said Friday.

As she told the dispatcher she could see Robert A. Hawkins' body lying next to a gun, her voice cracked, and she began to cry - a mixture of sadness and relief that the crisis was over. Nine people, including the gunman, were dead.

"I had seen more than I wanted to see," Longmeyer told NBC's "Today" show Friday, describing the call.

Longmeyer, who is a human resources manager at Von Maur, agonized with the operator while barricaded in an employee locker room at the store. Tapes of her 911 call were released Thursday, a day after the tragedy unfolded.

She saw the gunman step off the mall elevator on the third floor. He was dressed in dark clothes. She saw his gun, watched him open fire.

Then she hit the floor.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif If she had a hand gun and knew how to use it, I wonder how different the story would have ended???

Quote:
To bad someone who had a CHL wasnt there to combat that nut job.

That particular mall, like many others, is posted as a gun free zone. I guess the shooter didn't realize that. I know a lot of people who would still carry in the mall, even being posted. But I also know a lot of others that would not shop there because of the policy, or be good citizens and comply with the mall's wishes of no guns.

When will people realize, it isn't the law abiding gun owners one has to worry about.

Well, enough preaching to the choir!

bob

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. Their lives have been irrevocably changed for the worse.

Once they have buried their dead and the sting and disbelief of their loss has been replaced by an empty, dull ache that will never leave them, I sincerely hope the families take legal action against the mall for its policy on guns. It may not make much headway legally, but to let this go unchallenged would be a great dishonor to those innocents who died. Morally, the corporate heads and their lawyers are at the very least partially culpable for their policies. Maybe they can't be touched by the legal system, but they should be outed via a lawsuit so that their names are universally known and reviled.
DAL

Back