What does thrown charges mean??

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I know what is meant by weighed charges. But what is thrown charges?? I want to get into reloading but I want to know what all the terms mean. I think it may mean what drops from your powder dispencer. I think!!

A "thrown charge" is a batch of powder that is dispensed by volume, not weight. Normally the powder measure has some form of adjustment to change the volume of a small cavity. When the handle is toggled on the powder measure, the powder trapped in the cavity drops out of the measure.

The powder that is collected is then weighed to adjust the volume to correspond to a desired grain-weight.

Lots of guys load from the powder measure (thrown charges). Some weigh every charge, some weigh every five or every tenth charge. Some folks throw a light charge with the powder measure, dump it into a scale and trickle in powder to exact weight from a powder trickler. Some use powder dippers such as Lee sells or provides with every set of their reloading dies. Some of us reloaders now use electronic powder dispenser/scales.

So you see there are several different ways to put the right amount of powder in a case.

With the high cost of ammo now is a good time to get into reloading. I've been dumping that powder now for better than 45 years and though I probably haven't saved any money I've sure done a lot more shooting for the money.

Some of us are a little powder measure crazy.

Shopanddog-34.jpg

Here's a setup for trickling a thrown load to correct weight. It's good to have a powder measure set up at eye level for easier reading. The trickler and scale are blocked in so they won't randomly move around.

LeeSafetyscaleoncustomholder.jpg

Here's an electronic dispenser and scale. My chrono says this system is the most consistent of any powder dispensing systems I've used.

RCBSdispandscale.jpg

Most competition shooters believe, with lots of evidence, that thrown charges are more accurate under 300 yards. Beyond 300 yards weighed charges are more accurate because velocity variations become important at the longer ranges.

Jack

How can a thrown charge be more accurate at any distance than one that is weighed each time and known to be 100% consistent?

Quote:
How can a thrown charge be more accurate at any distance than one that is weighed each time and known to be 100% consistent?

That is a mighty fine question there! I have been to serious benchrest matches were the shooters are handloading their ammo on the spot and they are using thrown charges on every one. Rockchucker or Co-Ax presses C-clamped to the bench and a hodge-podge of powder dumps "tap-tap"ing the charges into the cases. It must work because all these guns shoot one-holers all day long. Works for me too, even better than weighing each charged so that's why I still do it. Lots of dead critters can attest that it must work pretty good I think.

Quote:

There are several theories, but nobody really knows. There is little doubt among competitive shooters that it happens. The most popular theories are that either it packs more consistantly in the case or that volume is more important than weight. Both are just guesses. The winners of matches do not weigh charges for short range and if weighing was better they would be weighing.

Jack

Thank You Very much guys!! You have been mighty helpful.

IDBob wow you do like to measure your powder!!! lol

I was thinking about getting the Rock Chucker supreme kit From cabelas. Or maybe one of the Hornady reloaders. But maybe I will order seperatly because I would like one of the electronic scale/dispensers. But you guys have told me before those magnetic scales are very accurate.

I believe you can get RCBS's delux kit with the electronic powder dispenser and scale. Check out Cabela's or Midway. I thought I saw them listed in Cabela's shooting catalog.

2muchgun that's what happens as you collect loading equipment for 45 years or so. I've given a bunch away or sold it at yard sales over the years.

Reloading has been as good of hobby as the shooting is and as I get older I actually find myself at the reloading bench more than out shooting.

Here's a view out the window of my shop early one morning while sitting at my reloading bench.

Mountian.jpg

I find sitting there making ammunition both fulfilling and fun. Seeing the results of my ammunition on a target on dead coyote or a nice buck is just icing on the cake.

Nice view for sure. I too get in certain moods and the reloading bug hits and I'm into it. Can't say as I like it better than pullin' triggers though.....

Back