EOP vs A4 upper

nboost

What are the advantages or disadvantages in these two. I was looking at them on RRA web site. They seem to be having a pretty good deal on prices right now.

The advantage of the EOP is that you can use fairly standard rings, and get the correct scope height.

The "down side" is that if you have long arms, or are just fairly tall, you will need to get the scope further forward on the receiver. I have run into many situations where when the scope is moved forward enough, then the power adjustment knob on the scope can no longer be turned.

With the standard height upper, very high rings need to be used. This allows enough clearance between the receiver and scope, in all cases, to be able to operate the power adjustment knob.

I know there are folks that think they are the greatest thing, and I'm glad they work for them, but I just don't care for them. The standard flat-top receiver out sells all of the elevated platform receivers by huge margins, I think because it just works so well.

I like the EOP. Machined as part of the receiver. No extra parts to work loose or get mis-aligned. I use an Accuracy Speaks extended scope base and it works great with the EOP.

I have three EOPs and they work great for me.. either I have a long neck, long face, or my neck just doesn't like to 'have' to bend down to look through the scope, plus it's easier for me to get a good cheek weld with them. Plus, I can switch scopes around between my ARs and traditionals with standard rings.

My uses are either varmints or action competitions.

My Colt has an A2 carry handle so the iron sights are still up there a little. My little M4 has an EO-Tech, so there is a little more bending to see the dot.

I tried a scope on the Colt and just never could get comfortable with it, without spending more $$ for an elevated scope mount.

The down side to the EOP is the parallax is a little more critical for an AO scope. Usually on the high side.

Quote:
I like the EOP. Machined as part of the receiver. No extra parts to work loose or get mis-aligned. I use an Accuracy Speaks extended scope base and it works great with the EOP.

Wouldn't the extended scope base be an extra part too?

The Larue Tactical mount takes the place of the EOP or riser, extended base, and some heavy duty rings. No lapping rings needed, and the whole thing is quick detachable without re-zeroing. The one piece mounts from Armalite and Model 1 Sales are similar with less forward offset and less cost. Sights like the Acogs, Eotechs, and most iron sights don't work well on the EOP receivers. The EOP is a cheaper way to go if you want an AR dedicated to a standard scope and low to medium rings.

Yes, the extended base is an 'extra part' but it's more of a 'nice to have' than a requirement. I see plenty of folks that get along fine without them but I must have a long neck or long face too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

The EOP does eliminate extra parts like specialty mounts and risers and like OT said, you can use standard rings that will allow you to switch scopes back and forth from other platforms. With the prices of good optics, that could be a major factor for some folks.

Back