Scanning with red light???

2zwudz

I am new to night hunting so please stick with me as I ask some question that may be obvious.
1) When calling coyotes at night do I turn the light on after a few minutes of calling and spot check with the light or do I turn the light on as soon as I begin to call and continously scan as I am calling leaving the light on the entire time?
2) Do coyotes circle down wind less or the same as day light hours? Or maybe I should say do they get less cautious during the night as they are during the day?

Thanks Mark

Mark, I can tell you what I do, but others may do otherwise. I usually hit the light pretty quickly (within 15 seconds or so) if there is any cover close by. I've had coyotes and cats both to appear immediately. After a minute or so I start paying more attention to areas with larger views. I scan very quickly with the light until I pick eyes up, then I don't take them off of the critter. I keep the light up where only the halo of the light picks the eyes up until time to shoot. It has been my experience that the coyotes are just as cautious at night as in the daytime, and will usually be circling to get downwind. They are sometimes easier to spot at night because of the eye glow. I have probably had the best success here during the daytime, I'm guessing because our coyotes get more night hunting pressure. Hope this helps! Gary

Definitely do what Weasel said and check out the area before you start the call, actually before you go to the effort of placing the call(assuming electronic), etc...
There may be a freebe or a field full of cows that weren't there yesterday, etc...

Quote:
I scan the area before I ever start to call and don't shut off the light until one last look around before moving on.

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Pretty much have a red light running from the point we pull off the road. Before calling, while turning on the call, while driving around.

Just as cautious at night, def circle down wind, we hunt with the wind in our face most of the time, some times a cross wind.

Back