I need your 60 V-Max .223 loads w/H335 or Benchmark (UPDATED)

Hidalgo

I have not tried "heavier" bullets in my AR yet (does 60 qualify as "heavy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif) and picked up a box today to work up loads with.

Anyone shooting 60 V-Maxs using H335 or Benchmark?

Not wanting to copy a load, just wondering about the results you were seeing as far as accuracy.

My rifle has always seemed to show a preference for H335 instead of Benchmark, but I'm going to try both.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I got my best groups from the 60 gr. VMax bullets. I was/am using 24.4 Grains of Benchmark powder. It was my first cloverleaf from my RRA A4.
DSCF0546.jpg

I'm at 25.7 grains of RL-15 with the 60gr vmax. .385" 5-shot groups. Have 650 of them loaded with this load so far.

Quote:
I got my best groups from the 60 gr. VMax bullets. I was/am using 24.4 Grains of Benchmark powder. It was my first cloverleaf from my RRA A4.

THANKS! That load is at MAX according to Hodgden, and .6 under according to Hornady. (at least in my manuals) That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good to hear the the 60s are shooting well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

For the 60 vmax, mine likes Varget - 24 or 26.5 grains. I have some H335, I never got around to testing since I was getting under .5" with Varget. I will be looking forward to seeing how the 335 works for you.

Hey Hidalgo,

My 60gr V-max loads with H335 were not too spectacular but 24.6 of benchmark was amazing. As you said, it is right at the max according to Hodgdon. I had no high pressure signs in my RRA Varmint 24in. but sneak up on it anyhow. I was using Win uniformed, neck sized brass, CCI BR-4 primers, with a COAL of 2.260. The win SR primers worked about the same for me with this load.

Check the 20 shot target at the photobucket link and the AR-15 in the album there as well.

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee188/Sodak_Jim/?action=view&current=60grainV-Max.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just loaded several different H335 and Benchmark loads with the 60, hope to take it to the range tomorrow a.m. and see what I have. I'll post it if anyone's interested when I get back.

Hidalgo,
I use 24 grains of H335 with the 60 grain Vmaxes for my AR and this is what it has done for me. Now I don't have a led sled or anything like that. This is sand bagged at 100 yards
DSCF6533.jpg

And for my Stevens it likes 25.5 grains of H335 with 55 vmaxes
100_0215.jpg

First off....thanks to everyone for the PMs and the posts on this. It really helps! I just got back from the range. Light winds (5-10). Here's what happened at 100 yards......

5-shot groups, didn't allow any time to cool between shots.

WW brass
BR4 primers
60 VMax
COL 2.245

Benchmark:
23.5gr = 1.335" ( I don't have a clue about this one? )
24.0gr = .372" ( I'm going to go with this one for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
24.5gr = .726"

H335:
22.0gr = .784"
22.5gr = .859"
23.0gr = .864"

Like I said....my rifle seems to like H335 in WHATEVER bullet or load you feed it. The H335 shot much more consistent than the Benchmark, except for the one group that stacked them almost one on the other?

Honestly I think I can get this rifle a lot better than it is. It is wearing a Mueller 4-16X50 scope with a pretty large target dot. I've never liked nor trusted this scope. I'm going to go to a Nikon 6-18X40. All of my other rifles are wearing an 18 power scope, and it really makes a difference when I am trying to tighten up groups. My old aging eyes need all the help they can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At any rate, this rifle is going to see mainly coyote use in the future, and being that 100 yards is a LONG shot for us around here, I think it'll be just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks again for everyone's input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hidalgo,
Are you sure those groups will be ok at 100 yards. It is my understanding that if it is not at least .371 or better it will be no good for yotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But I don't believe that I have ever shot a 5 shot group under .4 MOA and none of the coyotes I have slayed knew the difference. Great shooting I hope the load works for you.

I also seem to have great luck with H335 every gun I have shot it in has loved it and with a variety of grains and bullets also. Thanks for hte update.

Quote:
Hidalgo,
Are you sure those groups will be ok at 100 yards. It is my understanding that if it is not at least .371 or better it will be no good for yotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Ease up Carl......the wind was blowing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Honestly, I was pleased. I'd just like to see it get down to .500" on a consistent basis. I think the biggest problem it has is OE (operator error) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hidalgo
My Rem SPStacticle (20" barrel, 12 twist) loves Benchmark
LTRonthecheap008.jpg
and V-Max"s.
23.5gr with the 60's, and 24.0gr for the 55's.

These 5shot groups were shot at 100yrds.

I get lucky now and then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Is benchmark a ball or stick powder? How does it fare in cold/hot temps? I've never messed with it before. Looking to try some new stuff though.

Quote:
Is benchmark a ball or stick powder? How does it fare in cold/hot temps? I've never messed with it before. Looking to try some new stuff though.

It's an extruded powder, similar to H322.
Benchmark is one of their extreme powders that isn't supposed to be effected by temp.

Mr. H : I have had very good luck with the W748 powder and the 60 grn Vmax.

I do like the scope you are progressing towards. Good choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Benchmark is like a short-cut version of Varget that is made in the same plant in Australia. It meters better than Varget and the other long tubular powders and is relatively temp insensitive.

Hidalgo:

I was curious why your COL is as short as 2.245? Is that as long as you can get in the magazine? I try to minimize the jump to the riflings with a COAL around 2.260 . I was at a point where groups under .500 were few until I started to neck size. Then loads that were over .750 suddenly went into the mid .300s.

I wonder if your shorter barrel had anything to do with the lesser 24 grain charge working better in your rifle. Might be hard to prove, one way or the other, with so many other factors in the mix.

I have the Mueller 4-16X50 AO IGR Tactical Mil-Dot on my 308 heavy target rifle. The Mil-Dot has a medium crosshair in the center that can be illuminated and covers less of the target. It tracks as well as my Leupold VX-III but the optics are not as good. At less than 1/3 the price it is still worth it.

SodakJim - You only necksize your AR loads?? Don't you run into stuck cases? I was always under the impression that you had to use SmallBase dies when loading for autoloaders.

Back