yote, up close & personal

killcoyotes

here`s one the hounds caught last year.

coyotespic093.jpg

Have you ever seen the tee shirt where the little mouse is standing his ground flipping off the eagle before it's grabbed and made into a meal. Who do you root for, the mouse or the eagle? I sorta hope the coyote bite the heck out of the hounds before they piled on and tore it's life away. ..... maybe you pulled your houhnds and let the coyote go ..... AM I INSAIN? Of course I am to even suggest such a thing. It's about the music of the hounds, it's about the chase and it's about the pure savagery of the kill at the end.

Very nice picture though, at least there isn't blood splattered all over the snow .... at least not yet ....

Quote:
Unless a person is/was a houndsman...they'd never understand.

That's a great picture. Great looking plot.

Tony

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thats friggin' AWESOME!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Do you let the dogs kill or do you step in? I hunted with a friend,his hounds and a hourse. The dogs would track through the woods. We would set up around the woods and wait for yote to bust out about a 1/4 mile ahead of hounds. Then we would shoot it. If yote would hang up in willows and run dogs in circles my friend would ride in on horse and chase yote out to us. Neatest hunt I've been on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

those 2 hounds will just bay them up, they do not go in and savagely tear them apart. we useally shoot most of our yotes, but the hounds are alot closer than 1/4 mile behind. now if that was my hound big jake in the photo, i wouldn`t of had a live yote to take a picture of. mjm, what do you think yotes do to live animals bark and yip them to death? if these are the type of comments that mods make on this site, that`s pretty sad. so if you want to delete my account feel free.

Quote:
Do you let the dogs kill or do you step in? I hunted with a friend,his hounds and a hourse. The dogs would track through the woods. We would set up around the woods and wait for yote to bust out about a 1/4 mile ahead of hounds. Then we would shoot it. If yote would hang up in willows and run dogs in circles my friend would ride in on horse and chase yote out to us. Neatest hunt I've been on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Why would you risk the dogs getting hurt if the yote is close enough to shoot? Put a bullet in his head and be done with it. We aren't running a dog vs. yote fighting ring here.

I have to agree. The moderator made that comment without knowing what he was talking about.
My walkers mostly just run em. Coyotes almost always stop and bay up. I don't want them to tangle with em. Some guys do. It's not my thing, and I think posting pics of it is giving the anti's more ammo against us. But, that isn't the case here and the moderators comments were way out of line.
I don't expect comments like that here.
Great pic! I hope I can get in that close sometime.

Quote:
Why would you risk the dogs getting hurt if the yote is close enough to shoot? Put a bullet in his head and be done with it. We aren't running a dog vs. yote fighting ring here.

It's not a matter of a fighting ring. Coursing game with dogs has been documented in cave drawings in Turkey, in roughly the year 6000 BC. It has been a form of hunting and sport since then. Just because the prey is in the Canine family, doesn't make it automatically a fight ring.

Tony

i agree with MJM !! minus the drama! some people pull the dogs and let the yote go, like when the pelt is not prime and some shoot the yote, but if you are running kill dogs the hunt goes as mjm said. never did it but would love to try it! they say boxing is a savage sport!! if it's done right it is! great respect for you hounds men!! good hunting

Just because Michael is a moderator doesn't mean he doesn't have an opinion and isn't free to express it. If we were all of like mind on all subjects this would be a pretty dull place. Personally, I'd love to go on a few hound hunts and witness it first-hand. Running coons, cats and bear would be more my style though.

Every time you criticize someone's idea of fair hunting, you put your own style at risk.

As long as no laws are broken, hunt in whatever fassion you choose.

Personally, I love hound hunting and can't believe they took it away here in Washington.

I can't believe they still let Pheasant Hunters use dogs though - how inhumane.

Last edited:
I've seen this happen but it wasn't on purpose...sometimes you turn the dogs loose and when you tracked them down they got a possum in a hole or bayed up bear or they have an uninvited guest...ya just never know...and then theres those times when ya think....man this would be a sweet pic.

Nice Pic.

JON

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a matter of a fighting ring. Coursing game with dogs has been documented in cave drawings in Turkey, in roughly the year 6000 BC. It has been a form of hunting and sport since then. Just because the prey is in the Canine family, doesn't make it automatically a fight ring.

Tony

Is this BC we are living in? Nope. If you let the dogs kill the yote, you aren't really hunting now are you, the DOGS are. My point is why let the dog have all the fun, and why risk injury to the dogs when you are close enough to seal the deal with your weapon of choice. Sure, let the dogs chase them down, but don't let them do all the work for you, now that's just lazy.

sometimes you can`t get there fast enough before a fight breaks out. but don`t think those yotes can`t stand up for themselves, there`s not too many hounds out there that can kill a big eastern coyote.

Quote:
sometimes you can`t get there fast enough before a fight breaks out. but don`t think those yotes can`t stand up for themselves, there`s not too many hounds out there that can kill a big eastern coyote.

There may not be many hounds that can tackle a big coyote one on one... that's why the dog guys dump a half dozen or more hounds on one coyote. Sometimes adding fresh hounds or special kill dogs in at the end of a long chase on the worn down coyote. To even out the fight, lessen the damage to the hounds, and put the coyote down quicker. I try to understand it, however, as goofy as it sounds that just doesn't seem "fair" to see a half dozen big hounds stretching a coyote out live. One on one would seem to be something to brag about, but not the gang attack you see in so many of these pics. I'm not putting it down, would never vote against it or anything like that, but I do struggle with the whole thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back