50 gr Vmax vs 60 grain Vmax on Coyotes,...223

Pack_Wolf

Will the extra mass of the 60 gr increase penetration on a coyote before it expands?
I blew up 4 pretty bad last year with 50gr vmax. I'm thinking 10-15% more mass may penetrate better before it pops.

Pack

the 50grn vmax IMO should never be used on a coyote if you plan on saving the hide, it just blows the things up, I have also had some splashs shooting them at warp speed from my 22-250, many guys swear by the 60 grn vmax, my theory on that is there is just enough extra lead core in the 60 to get the job done once the jacket seperates, too bad they don't shoot in any of my 22 cal rifles

10 grains is 20% of 50 so it a 60 grain bullet has 20% more mass than a 50 grain bullet.

Where did you get the 10 to 15% number?

We have done well with the 50 gr Blitzking in the .223. Some tiny entrance no exit on the hide. Some no entrance no exit on the hide. The ballistic tips seem to lose effectiveness more in .223 at longer ranges. Byron South and a few others here swear by the 60 gr Vmax in .223.

I agree that shooting 50 g. v max's out of a 22-250 would create some good splash wounds, but I don't think you could push fast enough from a .223 to see the same results. In my 20" AR they only chrono around 2900 fps. with a very healthy dose of powder.

Quote:
I agree that shooting 50 g. v max's out of a 22-250 would create some good splash wounds, but I don't think you could push fast enough from a .223 to see the same results. In my 20" AR they only chrono around 2900 fps. with a very healthy dose of powder.

2900 is actaully very slow for that bullet in the 223, the black hills reman stuff with that bullet runs 3250ish from my 18.5 CZ carbine and about 75fps faster out of my 24" CZ varmint. I should be able to push them to 3500 fps out of the CZ handloaded. however at 2900 and below it may be a very good bullet for yotes. never had a problem with the 60 stabeliizing in a 12 twist 223, or 14 twist 22-250, also tried them in the 9 twist CZ and accuarcy is no beter than about 1.5 MOA in all the guns

My rifle has a 1/9 twist, and I did order some of those bullets hoping I could get a tight group and less splash.

Steve,..I haven't seen any Black Hills anywhere for over a year and half. Also I don't usually try to push more than 2900 for hunting bullets.

Sumrifle; Thanks for correcting my math. 20% is a lot when thinking of a projectile going 3000 and around.

Nefj40; That's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Nice replies,..thank you all.

Pack

Thats kinda what I thought when I saw the numbers, but thats with 26 grains of Win 748. The max load is 27.5, but 26 is where I seem to get my tightest groups. I guess I might be losing some velocity to my gas system, but I don't know for sure. I could probably switch powders and get more velocity. I used to run varget in my old NEF 22" and got closer to 3100 fps. but the varget seems to leave a lot more residue (which I didn't like in my AR) then the 748.

The 60gr V-Max's that I used last weekend popped alright. Nice knock down power but large exit wounds on the coyotes I shot last weekend. I'll give it another go around to see if I have different results next time but I'm thinking I might try a more traditional bullet IE spire point. I do like the accuracy in my rifle with the 60gr V-max however.

Back