I mink oiled my boots, now how do I get rid of the smell?

MB2

My pac boots were letting in water through the leather, so I mink oiled the heck out of them. They now are waterproof, but they also smell really bad. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

Wear em!

I did mine just the other day, and I know what you mean. Probably one of those things that has to wear off more than anything. In the whole sceme of things it wont make any difference anyway, if they get downwind they are gone even without the mink oil.

Man that stuff does work!

Take care,

Todd

I was thinking in terms of them smelling my foot trail. On an area that I hunt, it's almost guranteed that they're gonna cross my footpath on their way to me, and I don't want them to spook because of it.

I was thinking of throwing them in a garbage bag and put about a 1/2 a box of baking soda in there. It should help anyway.

Go stand in a pile of "cow patties" and smear it around abit. Just dont go walking into the house afterwards LOL Otherwise, I havent a clue, as that mink oil really permeates the air.

Maybe the coyotes in your area prey on the local wild mink population? If so you are now set.... No cover scent, no misting. They're bound to just run in, all willy-nilly with desire. See what a labor saver you have invented?

Please tell me that you did use mink OIL and not mink LURE. A friend of mine in college made that mistake. If you perchance soaked them in Mink Lure there is no hope.

Nope, I used mink oil. Judging by the smell you'd think it was mink lure though.

huntsman22: I'm sure this mink oil smells nothing like a real mink, so there goes that theory.

Weasel: I'm just trying to keep my footpath scent to a minimum, like I said above, there are times when a coyote must cross my footpath to get to me. So it's not "the small stuff", it's very major.

nevjohn: good idea, but there's no cow patties around here.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna cake them in baking soda and hopefully the scent will go down after a couple of weeks of wearing them.

Quote:

Weasel: I'm just trying to keep my footpath scent to a minimum, like I said above, there are times when a coyote must cross my footpath to get to me. So it's not "the small stuff", it's very major.

Please, can you or anybody else tell me why mink oil is going to spook a coyote? Surely you don't think that a coyote is going to smell mink oil and think "OMG! A hunter with mink oil on his boots!". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif As you walk you are shedding scent molecules. Shoot the animals before they cross your path. You might try to soak your clothes in mink oil. It might help hide your human scent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif After all, it's human scent that spooks animals, not mink oil.

MB2..don't worry..be happy..your cool bud..i don't think a coyote know's what mink oil is..or it could be proven to alarm him..or maybe he might like it ??

Weasel, it would spook a coyote because it is a smell that is foreign to it's environment. A smell doesn't have to be human body odor in order to spook a coyote.
gheesh!

All I'm saying is that if I had a choice between my footpath being scent free, or my foot path reeking of mink oil, I'd choose the scent free footpath.

As for me shedding scent molecules, I'm happy to report that I don't shed.

Also, keep in mind that a coyote coming to a call in areas with moderate to heavy calling pressure are paranoid as heck. It doesn't take much for them to bug out.

And as for shooting animals before they cross my path, you wouldn't say that if you seen some of the areas where I hunt. Like I said, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do that sometimes.

Quote:
Weasel, it would spook a coyote because it is a smell that is foreign to it's environment. A smell doesn't have to be human body odor in order to spook a coyote.
gheesh!

Well golly! I guess I'd best get rid of my rubber soles, tanned leather boots, gun oil, solvent, plastic, foam seat pad, decoy, etc. etc. etc. They are all "foreign" smells. Maybe I should have bought a Scent-Loc suit, some of that gum, scent blocking under britches, scent free oil and solvent?????? I have a friend that has to be totally NUTS!!! He puts a piece of burlap out in front of his game cameras and pees on it to attract the coyotes. That lying S.O.B. said that's why he's been getting all those pictures. He's gone so far as to take a picture of the burlap with coyote crap all over it. Weird, eh? Well, we're all here to learn and today I learned a 17HMR is PERFECT for coyotes out to at least 187 yards and that any foreign smells are going to keep me from killin............NO WAIT! I live in the west. Coyotes come in to the squeaky brakes on our trucks. No wonder I've been able to kill them here even though I've done EVERYTHING wrong for 40 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Ya see, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
OK you win, there is no smell under the sun, except human body odor, that can spook a coyote. You are right, such an idea is absolutely ludicrous. It is absolutely impossible for any smell no matter how strong or toxic, to cause a coyote to stop, speed up his gait, or turn around and head the other way, or stare around intently.

You cannot seem to accept the fact that I'm talking about a foot path scent here, not downwind scent. All of the things that you mention (besides the rubber boots and leather) would not leave a scent trail on the ground. Unless you drag your gun along the ground as you walk. And I don't know why you even bothered to mention rubber boots as a scent producer.

As for urine, it's been common folk knowledge for years that all urine is composed of mainly ammonia, and is very difficult for wild animals to tell human urine from any other wild animal urine. I can't verify this. As for your friend and his game camera technique. How long after the he piddles on it do the coyotes come around it? I'm guessing there is a few hours time span in between the time he piddles to the time the coyotes are around it. Every wild animal knows fresh scent means danger, but old scent doesn't.

And I'm not one of those people who wears scent-lock clothing and chews scent free gum. But I have seen first hand what deer and coyote do when crossing a fresh human foot trail. Just last week my brother had a nice buck coming into his stand, as soon as it hit his foot trail it stopped and turned around. He hunts deer 4 days a year and has probably never even heard of scent lock clothing, and he doesn't spray his boots down with anything either. Two other guys in camp always spray their boots down with that Scent-Away stuff. And I gurantee that from now on my brother will too.

I should also add that I often hunt coyotes from a tree stand. So the only thing that could spook them is my foot trail.

MB2...

I think you are missing the point here! It really doesn't matter whether your boots smell like kerosene or mink oil, they will always smell like human to a coyote! New smells can actually attract coyotes due to their curious nature but,if you walk in and the coyotes have to cross your trail, chances are they will bust you... regardless of being in a tree or on the ground.
Scent-Away and other odor removal products do work to a degree, some even work quite well but I guarantee you if a coyote smells your trail upclose and personal he will be gone!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Now maybe you are right about that smell, but you asked for opinions and like Weasel said, I guess maybe I've been doing it wrong for the last 30years plus, too...
...And he's alot older than me, but that's why I'm better looking!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

MB2,
If your that concerned about it, here is your solution. Go to your local Walmart, K-Mart or whatever you got nearby and purchase an el cheapo pair of rubber goloshes. Even better if you got a war surplus store nearby. You should be able to find something for under $10 one would think. Slip the goloshes over your boots and walla, you now have a foot trail scent free of mink oil.

I have always wondered if those mink put up a fight when someone tries to wring all that oil out of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Seeing that I don't raise pigs nor anyone else in my area for some miles then the carcasses and hides of the hogs I've butchered are "Foriegn". Funny, that doesn't keep the coyotes from coming into the pasture to eat the vitales and pull the pigskins back to the tree line.
We tend to get a bit wired about our hobbies to the point of putting them out of perspective in the way we respond to those with good advise.

Nikonut, I shot a coyote last year that crossed my foot path twice. I had walked there a half hour before he crossed it. He had no clue I had walked there. It was dry ground too. I had rubbed my boots in some mud before walking out to my calling stand. He was about 20 yards from me when he crossed my path and I shot him at 35 yards. So I have to respectfully disagree with you there.

Christopher, you're comparing apples to oranges when comparing food sources to a fresh smelly human foot trail. And I don't think I've responded to anyone here with good advice disrespectfully. I'm just disagreeing with some people here, that's all. Deal with it.

Let me rephrase the sentence "it would spook a coyote because it is a smell that is foreign to it's environment" to "it COULD spook a coyote because it is a smell that is foreign to it's environment"

Songdog, good idea with the galoshes.

Speaking of mink and coyotes, after watching this video, I think it'd be better not to have any mink smell on me whatsoever. This mink kicked some coyotes butt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RrJIkO8XRk&feature=related
I love the part at the end where the coyotes turns his tail and starts running away and the mink takes one last shot at him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MB2,

I really don't think you have been disrespectful at all but I do think you still don't get it! Quote:
He had no clue I had walked there.

Maybe this was a young coyote or maybe he was somewhat acclimated to human smells but I can almost(since I'm not a coyote) quarantee you he smelled "Human"! Rubbing your boots in mud is a reasonable way to help mask your scent as is using cover sprays and such but all you are doing is temporarily confusing the coyote, he still smells "Human"!
Here in flatland we can often see coyotes coming in at 1/4 mile or more and let me tell you if they go downwind and hit your scentcone they smell you and are most likely gone! What do you really think those same coyotes smell when they are only inches from your tracks? I too have had coyotes cross my path and scentcone and still keep coming but the young dumb ones don't live long!LOL I've also had them backdoor me and stand just a few feet downwind watching me... why? Because they are curious creatures and especially when they live around human communities can be less fearful of man.

Not sure if you hunt in woods or open fields up there but deep woods coyotes are often much more wary. Good luck hunting and keep thinking about what you can do to trick "Old Wiley" because they can be fooled just not everytime!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back