best trap for bobcats?

That is correct. I can fully modify them and they are still alot cheaper then the KBs. Everyone has there personal preference, I just don't like the KBs.

I understand. I would buy the Bridger myself if the were American made ... but that's me. I do face one problem with the KB that you do not face with the Bridger ... the KB will hold a calf.

Following is what the day (12-08-07) held for myself, and my good friend Greg. Both are Male Yotes. This is Gregs' first year to trap ... therefore he is learning. And in learning ... he is a very good student. I will detail the pictures as they are posted. We got 2 more coyote today.

This is me & the 1st of the day.
5thYote.jpg

This is Greg and the 1st yote of the day. Part of any handling of wildlife, is knowing proper handling techniques to keep from causing undue harm to the animal, or yourself.
Greg.jpg

This is the set where the 1st yote was taken. These next three pictures are of the set remake that Greg made for the first time. I think he did a pretty good job.

After coyote was removed. Severe Trap Circle.
DSC01045.jpg

Set remake
DSC01046.jpg

Remake blended to surroundings.
DSC01047.jpg

The first Coyote has first stage signs of Sarcoptic Mange on the tips of its ears. This is the only yote of 6 I have taken so far with signs of mange.
DSC01034.jpg

Me & the 2nd Yote of the day.
6thYote.jpg

Greg & the 2nd Yote
DSC01041.jpg

For New Trappers Youngsters: Yotes are dangerous and fast, make no mistake about it or you will get injured for sure. The next two pictures were taken at a speed shutter setting, about 1 second apart. Notice the position between the first and second pictures. It only took Greg a single step toward the yote for him to turn around that fast.
DSC01037.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

I hope yall enjoyed ... I know Greg and I did.

Here ya go ... these were from this morning 12-09-07. 3 female Coyote and 1 male Raccoon.

Me and my trappin' buddy:
DSC01054.jpg

My trapping pard Greg w/ his trappin' buddy:
DSC01055.jpg

Sorry ... no set pictures this time. I forgot to bring the camera on the line with me.

We have been without power due to an ice storm here for the last week. Thanks for reposting that cat. Here are some from the past week.

Here are some more from during the ice storm.

5th Bobcat Queen
DSC01073.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

3rd Raccoon
DSC01076.jpg

11th Coyote
DSC01078.jpg

12th Coyote
DSC01081.jpg

I use O'Gorman LDC, O'Gorman Powder River Cat Call, Dobbins Canine Select, cat & coyote urine on this set with duck feathers for a visual. I have taken cat, skunk and several yote in this set so far.

Varminter I think I saw those at Sportsmans Wharehouse the other day. You might give them a call. It is located right by Quail Springs mall.

Here's another Male Coyote removed today ... 12/21/07. He had bad mange ... and something took his rear right foot just below the knee. A good one to remove. 14th of the season off of 80 acres.

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

Nice pics OK traps! The thing witgh traps is everyone has different needs/wants. Larger jaw spread aids less guiding and quicker setting for say coyotes, versitile traps? Most traps will catch hold possums,skunks etc non targets. Pan tension can help solve non target catches. That is what I look for, I don't want skunks or jack rabbits taking out my coyote trap sets.
The more mechanical some things the more prone to issues. Remember that the most heavly copied trap ever made is the MJ 600 made by Glen Sterling back in the mid 70's.Once they have a foot in them and the levers "lock" that is it on the majority of the holds, so I see little need for having a lever or cam device putting more tension on lunges of critters. The wider a jaw face can be with equal spring tension to begin with goes along ways in keeping the foot from sliding between the jaws.

ADCcoyote ... I can completely understand you views, and I repect them. However, I defend my stance on th KB and my use of them. They have the most holding power of any trap on the market due to their tension assembly, even more than Sterlings. And since the coil spring are the same as those used on the #1 Montgomery, they "creep" up on a foot instead of slamming shut. However, as I do not spend the money which is required to purchase Sterlings, the KB are more affordable for me.

The tension assembly does present its problems ... these traps will hold deer and calves if they are caught above the fatlock of the hoof. They are even used for hog trapping in Oklahoma because of their holding ability. This is a drawback when setting cattle ranches here, with the increased chance of taking a calf. But I use them because they are American Made & versitile ... with nothing more than a pan tension adjustment to set depending on my targets ... but I implement a lot of thought and caution in each set.

Oktrap I'm new to this forum.

I know nothing about trapping, but I would like to compliment you on some of the photos you've taken, very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back