best trap for bobcats?

The American Made KB 5.5 Compound. It's very versitile and has unrivaled holding power. Here's why:

This morning:

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

1coon07-08.jpg

1Skunk07-08.jpg

A few from last season:

4thyote12006.jpg

3rdyote206.jpg

2ndYote2.jpg

1styote07.jpg

This trap has unrivaled holding power.

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

I hope this helps.

I like a 1.75 for cats. They are nice and light to pack around, easy to bed and don't cause much damage. I use everything from those up to fully modified #3's. The BMI k9's are probably my overall favorite though.

You don't need a high end trap for bobcats as they just don't fight a trap much at all. I would use a #3 sized trap for there larger feet, but if your not into coyotes much and focus just on cats then you don't need all the bells and whistles to trap or hold bobcats.

oktrap those traps look tuff! what did you use to lure those coyotes to the hay?

nboost, did that cat come from around edmond? and what did you use for bait?

thanks for all the info guy.

is a #1 1/2 to small.

Yea I caught 5 last Jan and Feb. I have a little piece of land I hunt around lake Arcadia. Tons of cats there.

I used a mix of Dobbins "K9-03" & Caven's "Gusto" to draw those two on the hay bail.

I go with the "High End" American Made KB 5.5 Compound because it is so versitile. Since cats are not a primary target for me like yotes are ... it's nice to know that my money is well vested into equipment that serves more than one purpose.

However ... because of the KB 5.5 holding power ... if you catch an animal with a hoof above the fatlock ... it will be there in the morning waiting on you if the trap is anchored properly.

Last edited:
High end traps are sure nice, that is why I use sterling mj600's. These high end traps really shine when you get past 24 hr check laws and are trapping a fair amount of coyotes. I just couldn't justify these strictly for trapping 60.00-70.00 dollar southern cats.
I have looked at those KB type's just not sold on them as much as the sterling 600's.If your going to trap coyotes and cats and plan on trapping for many years than by all means go with the best you can afford, you will be pleased with the results for sure and have something that will hold it's value much more than production made traps.

Here's another cat (young tom) taken yesterday ... and two yotes the day before. All in the KB 5.5 Compound Laminated.

DSC01002.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

When the two yotes were taken ... it was my Wife's first day on the line. She's hooked now ... and is going to start her own line this week.

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

Last edited:
A grinner today in the KB 5.5 Compod Laminated. For my money ... it's the only thing going in a foothold on my lines. As you see ... versitile. Coon, opossum, coyote, bobats ... etc, etc.

DSC01007.jpg

Man all your pics are driving me crazy! Nothing but live traps here in CO thanks to Denver residents. Looks like a ton of fun though. How are you attracting so many? Scent? Bait?

I thought you could use footholds in CO if you met certain regulations.

Anyway .. dirt hole sets & flat sets, three different lures (Dobbin's K9-03, Caven's Gusto, O'Gormans' Revenge) and duck feathers for a visual.

I have steel in the ground year around and I have had the opportunity to use and test every trap on the market and as far as coyotes goes and a good coyote trap is a good bobcat trap, the best trap on the market is the #3 Bridger with the Canadian modifications. Unparalled holding power, has power enough to power through moderate frozen dirt, wide jaw spread, animal comfort with the wide double laminated jaws, heavy duty center base plate, off set lugs. The dogs will get bent on some coyotes but you can replace them with a laminated dog and never have to replace them again. If trapping cats only this is somehing you don't have to worry about as cats don't fight a trap like some coyotes do.

itrap4u....I couldn't agree with you more. I love the #3 Bridgers, and think they are one of the ultimate cat/coyote traps on the market, the other trap I use on my cat lines is the MB650, its top of the line and coyote proof also.

Well ... good luck & bad luck today in the KB 5.5 Compound. 12-07-07. I apologize for picture quality.

The Good Luck - Coyote in a coyote set.

4yote.jpg

The Bad Luck - Bobcat Tom in a coyote set. LMAO. 26 pounds.

4catTom.jpg

Me4catTom.jpg

I hope yall enjoy these. Thank you ...

Back